Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Litter Training pups

I have a question.

Have any of you been successful in litter training dogs?

Mine is house trained and paper trained. i.e. when I'm not home, if she really needs to go, there is paper in one of the bathrooms for her. She seldom goes, but in case, the poor baby doesn't have to hold it.

Anyway, back to my question. I have always been curious about ppl who say their toy breeds are litter trained. I can see the benefit in doing that in cold and icky days

Thanks!

Elaine
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM

We have kind of litter trained our Shih tzu Sophie. She was using puppy pads while we were at work, so what we did is bought a litter box and put the pad inside, this way she doesn't miss, she goes in the box and does her deed then comes back out. I don't think we will ever do it with litter though because I think she may eat it and the cats will also use it.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM

How clever!

I had tried to train my american eskimo once, and all he did was play "in the sand" I had litter everywhere!
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey, the way I see it, if a bunny can be trained to use a litter box, a dog should be able to use one too. Dogs can comprehend more that a bunny, from what I have heard anyways. I have never had a really small dog before. Most of mine have been labs, and on one time, a great-dane, so litter training, was out of the question. I am sure it is possible. How old is the dog we are looking at. They younger it is the easier it will be to train.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:23 PM

I agree! dogs understand better than bunnies. Bunnies are cute and cuddly though....

My dog is too old (she'll be four) Besides, she is already really wel trained for outside and paper.

But I was wondering because I had tried a few years ago and ppl gave me such a hard time about it. One person told me I was "touched"
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM

People tell me I am crazy. But I don't think I am
It works out a lot better for us because Sophie is scared of the dark and hates the cold. So when its storming outside this winter I don't have to worry about bundling her up to go outside. She is much happier now in the mornings not to have to go stand in the cold frosty grass.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't see any problem litter training any small animal. And I don't think other people should either. I think they should be supportive of an owner's choice of training, and shouldn't critisize them. It is slightly rude in my opinion.

I give you credit for atleast trying to train your dog to use a litter box. It is what I would do if I had a small dog. I even gave credit to my sister's boyfriend's room mate who tried training her cat to use the toilet, and flush it after he was done. I think that whatever makes the pet, and owner happiest is great.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Smile litter training

Hello,

I actually just got a toy fox terrier and I am trying to litter train him. I have been reading up on it and have found a dog litter called Second Nature that you can get at any pet store. I put that inside a rubbermaid container. (make sure you get one that is fairly shallow but it also long, like the sweater ones) Anyway, I just started the litter training yesterday and so far it has been working great. He has only had 2 accidents that were not in the box.

I hope this helps!