Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old May 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
-

Silver Main Coon needs a family ! Montreal area

A member here was nice enough to save a cat from euthanasia Nino is now ready to find his forever family. Montreal area but , we could find transport for the right/perfect family , in this province or Ontario.

Nino is 5 years old, FULLY DECLAWED, therefore is an indoor ONLY cat. He is a silver mixed Main Coon tabby and weighs in at 15 pounds. He is on CD Science Diet, due to crystals in his urine, from 2 years ago. He is timid at first with you, with some hissing and growling, but will come around and let you pet him. He DOES NOT like other cats and would be best as an ONLY cat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Frenchy; May 24th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
-

Here's another pic because , well , he's so darn adorable !
Attached Images

Old May 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What an absolutely gorgeous cat he is too! I would take him in a heartbeat if I thought he would get along with my other ones and I could sneak him past my hubby (not)! He is so handsome.
How is he with dogs? Would he do okay with one or two of them?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I'm a softy

OOooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOo Could he learn to like kitties and come live in manitoba with me!?!? He is so darn GORGEOUS!!!! Someone is going to be darn lucky to have him for a son!
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM

He's such a beauty I remember this story , it sounds like he is doing a little better. I will that he goes to his forever family soon, he really deserves .

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Frenchy,what a beautiful cat Nino is,I think I said so before,was hoping he would have a home by now:sad:
Poor little boy,I hope a home is found soon
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He's such a gorgeous boy! I wonder if he's as soft as he looks

for the perfect home to come along soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
You can call me DOG!

Nino is absolutely georgous.

I would scoop him up in a heartbeart but, unfortunately, Kitty and Nino would have some words

Hope he finds his forever home soon.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I would love to take him but since he doesn't get along with other cats, he probably wouldn't be happy with us. And a dog too!! I showed my mom his pic and she thinks he's just stunning. Ah well, it's likely better he go to a home where he can be the star kitty attraction!! With those looks I'm sure he'll find a home soon
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
How is he with dogs? Would he do okay with one or two of them?
we don't know but .... in his case , I wouldn't try. We have to find a forever home for him. And 14+ , I think hubby would notice the new fluffyness in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
OOooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOo Could he learn to like kitties and come live in manitoba with me!?!?

I'm sorry :sad:

Nino will be on petfinder soon , lets hope it opens up a door for him
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
-

Nino is such a gorgeous boy.

Hopefully he will find his forever home soon.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
we don't know but .... in his case , I wouldn't try. We have to find a forever home for him. And 14+ , I think hubby would notice the new fluffyness in the house
Nooooooo mf, wasn't thinking about my doggies. Nino would still have the five kitties in the house here. And hubby definitely would notice a beauty like him. There is no way that would work. I was thinking that if someone with dogs would like to adopt him it would be nice to know how he got along with them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 28th, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,I was thinking of any of my friends,but they all have animals already.
Is it certain he does not like other cats?
Or is it just the way he reacts when he sees a strange cat,the way all my 3 would react,which is only normal
He is an incredibly beautiful boy,the fact he's fully declawed makes me really sad for him:sad:
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

He's just stunning! I hope he finds a good home too. I'm with Chico, is it that he doesn't like strange cats? Has he been introduced to others slowly?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
-

His rescuer / foster mom has 6 other cats. Nino was slowly introduce to them a couple times but it didn't work out.

Old May 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Hi, I am Nino's foster Mom, Lorraine.

Thank you so very much Frenchy for all you are doing to help me find a new home for Nino.

I would like to give a little update on him. Health wise, he is doing well. He was tested for Feline Aids/Leukemia which was negative. He's eating & drinking well, with no diarrhea. I made a mistake on his brand of food though. It isn't Science diet, it's Hill's Prescription Diet C/D. This week he will be going to the vets for his vaccinations and a check up.

When I first got Nino, which was May 12th, you couldn't get near him without him hissing & growling at you, now this past week, he has become so loveable. The minute you walk into the room he starts purring and bunts up against you wanting petties. Like Frenchy said, I tried several times to introduce him to my crew, which didn't turn out well. I have a high trellis that I put up between the doors, so he can smell and see the other cats, but he just kept hissing & growling at them and swatting at the trellis. I know this is normal behaviour, so I gave him a few days rest. I always have at least 2-4 of my cats laying outside my door and I noticed this past week that Nino hasn't hissed or growled once when sitting at the door looking through the window pane at them. So I am going to start working on the intro's again. I am going to take 2 of my most passive cats and put the others in my sons room and see how that goes. I think that Nino is just too overwhelmed with the amount of cats I have, plus the 2 foster kittens, which makes 8 all together.
I also think it would be easier to place him in a home with 1-2 cats at the most rather than a herd like I have. LOL!!!
Oh, I also have a dog, a little Lhasa Apso who is 16 years old, but Nino hasn't see him yet.
I'm sorry this is a little long, but thank you for reading it and I will keep you updated on how the intro's go.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for giving this beautiful kitty a chance
Yes,Frenchy is anfor sure.
I just hope someone out there,will give him the home he deserves
The fact he's declawed on ALL paws,is very unsettling to me,but maybe it will make him more desirable to SOME people.
Hi former moron for an owner,probably wanted this beauty as part of her decor..
I am certain with some more time,he will calm down and realize he is in a much better place now before
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
-

rg_girlca , you're doing a great job with Nino

We do have someone who's very interested but is concern about the food cost. I suggested raw but since she never heard about it , is kind of scared about feeding that. I will research for a cheaper way , I'm sure we can find some other food , with maybe some natural supplements that could keep Nino healthy.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,if she's concerned about food-cost,what if Nino gets sick:sad:
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments on Nino. He is one beauty that's for sure and yes hazelrunpack, he is as soft as he looks.

Frenchy, don't get me wrong, I really appreciate you helping in finding a home for Nino more than you know, but I rescued him from one person who couldn't afford his food anymore or to be vetted, I'm not about to give him to someone else with the same problems.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Does he have to remain on the CD Science Diet or would a good quality canned food not be better for him? Science Diet is outragously priced. I would hesitate taking a cat for that reason too. Can't help but feel Wellness or something equal would be better.

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Thanks for the update on Nino! Hmm, maybe he would be able to fit in. Both my boys are very mellow. I took Coco in as an adult and he was the only kitty and no dogs. He's done very well and is a very happy boy..likes to tell me exactly what I should be doing for him!! Now when I brought Coco home, I let him stay in our front porch, which is like another room. He came out in his own time, hmm I think about a week.

As for expenses, well let's just say all my critters eat very well and have regular vet visits. The cats have been on Wellness dry and Natural Balance canned for a long time now and do very well on it.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Well, I did the trellis thing again today and left out my 3 most mellow cats and put the rest in my sons room. There was lots of nose smelling and no hissing or growling at all from Nino. Good boy.
After a few minutes, he did swat out, but not in an aggressive way. I left the trellis up for about an hour and my cats, plus Nino, just went back to sleeping. Nino on my bed and the 3 cats in the hallway. So, I think that was a good start.

Oh pattymac, where do you live and when would you like to come and meet Nino???? HUH!!!! When!!!! LOL!!! Just joshin with ya, but if you are really interested, you can e-mail me at rg_girlca@yahoo.ca
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Hi RG, I'm at work now but will drop you an email tomorrow. Sounds like he just needs a bit of time to adjust. Hehe, I even have 4 litterboxes set up. I'll talk to my Mom about him again, I think she fell in love the 2nd she saw his pictures.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Pattymac,Nino will have a forever home soon
I think we all fell in love with him,he is so very beautiful
I have never bought vet-food,I have no idea what it costs
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

He is stunning, I really hope he finds a home soon.
Mr.Floyd had crystals and stones and was at the vets for a week a couple months ago, I could not with a clear concience feed him the prescription diet they insisted he needed, raw has been working great for him and even his last urinalysis results were great.
I'm certain this boy will make someones dreams come true. He is gorgeous.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_girlca View Post
There was lots of nose smelling and no hissing or growling at all from Nino. Good boy.
woohooo Nino ! God job rg_girlca !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
I'll talk to my Mom about him again, I think she fell in love the 2nd she saw his pictures.
That would be awesome !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
raw has been working great for him and even his last urinalysis results were great.
Same here , the boys had Uti's last year , then I put them on raw and never had that problem again. Unfortunately , with 4 kitties now and Chloe's condition , I don't have time for the raw thing anymore :sad: I do want to get them back on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I have never bought vet-food,I have no idea what it costs
Chico2 , vet food is all corn base. It amazes me how expensive they are selling it , IMO , it's almost as bad as Pedigree but more $$$$.

I must admit that , when my goldens had many gastros in spring time, the Gastro food formula did work , but there are alternatives that I tried so I wont have to go back to the vet food. Same with cats with UTI's , the urinary SO formula does work. but it is still yucky food.
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

My Bobee (Manx) had a bit of a problem a year or so ago. Since they've been eating Wellness, no issues which is good because they're both older. The vet gave me a can of food, not the Hills one but the one from the company that makes Royal Canin, he wouldn't eat it.
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
My Bobee (Manx) had a bit of a problem a year or so ago. Since they've been eating Wellness, no issues which is good because they're both older. The vet gave me a can of food, not the Hills one but the one from the company that makes Royal Canin, he wouldn't eat it.
Smart cat.

I really hope that Nino is a good match for you .....good luck.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM

I normally don't buy vet food either, but since Nino has been on this food for the past 2 years, I had to get it for him. A 20 lb bag for $83.00. When I was trying to give him his medication when I first got him, I tried hiding it in wet food. I tried, Tuna, Salmon, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Whiskas and even Gerber's Baby food. He wanted nothing to do with any of it at all. I even took up his normal food for the night and he still wouldn't touch any of the wet food.

In regards to trying the better foods for Nino, Frenchy gave me a few choices. Wellness, no fish flavor, Innova Evo 95% meat, and Nature's Variety Instinct, but I can't find those anywhere. I've been to various pet shops around my area and Mondou's. So if you can tell me where I can find this Wellness food I keep hearing about or any other food that you can recommend, I would really appreciate it. Also, is there a link where I can read up on the raw diet? I also remember reading that the Wellness is expensive. How much more so than the other brands?

I had to go to Mondou's today to pick up some litter and I saw this cat food named Holistic Select, Chicken & Lamb formula. It's a Holistic natural cat food with added minerals and vitamins. Has anyone heard of this and if so, do you recommend it. It's just a small tin, net Wt., 5.5oz @ $1.29.