Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old May 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

2 Mother cats and 11 kittens!

I recieved a call, a lady has been feeding 2 female cats and they gave birth, total 11 kittens. The kittens are now couple of months old (why didn't she call earlier who knows) and she needs to find home for them now since she's worried her neighbors are going to posion them.

The mother cats are semi-feral, the kittens are normal loveable kittens. Does anyone have room for these kittens?

Please help me to help these animals!
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Is this person willing to do anything to help? Like spaying the mother cats, who no doubt are going to give birth again shortly?

No point taking in the kittens if there are going to be 10 more by next week.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

No, she doesn't have a trap, she can't get the cats...the kittens who are couple of months old are running around all over the place. blah blah blah....

If the mother cats get pregnent again, she will be calling back to tell me she has 22 kittens now and it's ALL my fault, because I didn't catch the cats fast enough!

Last edited by poodletalk; May 13th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,poodletalk what a terrible situation,it's a never ending story
poor cats,poor innocent kittens and poor you for somehow being made responsible.
Before joining the forum,I never new there were soo many cat-emergencies,certainly a wake-up call,or that compassionate people like you,Lucky,Badger and everyone else exsisted.
This woman,since she is asking for help with those poor kittens,should try to trap the moms for sure,the only solution.
If they are feral,like she says,maybe the HS would have them spayed and released again,just like our HS would.
For a cat-lover,or animal-lover period,getting calls like that must be a real nightmare:sad:
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If the mother cats get pregnent again
There's no "if" - they are definitely preg again, if they have not already given birth. Feeding feral cats without s/n them is no help, in fact it makes things worse.

People who want help, but won't lift a finger themselves - what do they expect? That we can go running over there with traps and sit around all day waiting for the cats to go in them?

She can do what I did. I went to a rent-all centre, rented a trap, caught the kittens, tamed and adopted them out, then trapped the adults and had them spay/neutered. Unfortunately I had to keep the adults. It was horrible and not much fun at all, but unless I wanted countless feral cats living under my shed, no choice. I didn't sit on my butt expecting someone else to do it (although I would have liked it!)

Quote:
If they are feral,like she says,maybe the HS would have them spayed and released again,just like our HS would.
NOT! They won't even spay and neuter cats they are adopting out, never mind ferals. That'll be the day!
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

No, she won't do what you did...she's calling around her help.

Steri-Animal does catch and release, I need to ask them if they can trap the cats and sterilize the Mama cats. (If they are pregnent the kittens will be aborted.) Right now, there's so many calls from people with pregnent cats and kittens all over the place it's hard to keep up and decide who to help. If we lived in a perfect world, we would help them all, but there's only so many volunteers, so many traps and so little money.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If we lived in a perfect world, we would help them all, but there's only so many volunteers, so many traps and so little money
If we lived in a perfect world, not filled with ignorant, irresponsible and uncaring people, all these poor animals wouldn't be homeless and suffering so. There's just too many for us to even make the smallest dent, since the people who bred them and the people reporting them will do nothing to help the problem.

Sorry, I'm just so disgusted right now.

I hope Steri-Animal can help these poor things.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

How hard I try to educate the public about not buying from a petshop, I think I am wasting my breath.

I went to pick up my aunt to go to the SPCA Monteregie book sale, her friend who lives in the same building was anxiously waiting for me to show off her new Yorkie pup that she bought at the Wal-Mart mall!

I was so MAD, she knew it too! She has told me for the past year that she wanted to get a yorkie, I emailed her the Yorkie Rescue group website, I told her NEVER go to a petshop and I explained the reasons why and she does this and the price she paid to incredible!

Besides the Wal-Mart petshop, standing in the rain hanging up dogwalk posters at the dog park in the SouthShore the only up beat of my day was the book sale has brought in alot of money and hopefully tomorrow we will be bringing in more money!

Sorry for my rambling, I am going to make something hot to drink and take a nap, I am exhausted!

So many animals who need our help and people are paying alittle fortune them for them at a petshop!

Last edited by poodletalk; May 13th, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

You should show this woman a picture of a puppymill, and let her know what she is condoning and what her money has gone to support.

People just think "I want" and don't seem to care where what they want comes from. Thanks to all the people like her, this cruelty will never end.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Your exactly right Lucky, this was a spontaneous buy, she went to Wal-Mart went to the petshop, saw the pups and bought one within half an hour. Everything I said to her, went out the window.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

If people cared and had a heart,they should know,cats cannot survive on their own.
They should be made to see the results of the cat/kitten they"loved"after abandonning him/her to their own fate.
The maybe thousands of kittens dying of starvation and disease,while the mother keeps having more,just the thought,makes me sick..
I can imagine the constant frustration and anger you must feel,with no end in sight,but even if your efforts is only a drop in a bucket,that drop means one little life is saved.:love:
What is Wal-Mart doing selling puppies???I know here they don't,I cannot even pass by their fishtanks,without getting a lump in my throat:sad:
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

It was the Wal-Mart mall, the lady went shopping at Wal-Mart then went to the petshop right beside Wal-Mart.

Every animal we save, does make a difference, but there's so many to help it doesn't show we are making a difference.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok...not that it makes much difference where they are sold:sad:
and yes,yes,yes,you and other caring people like you are making a HUGE difference,to any cat/dog lucky enough to be saved from a life of misery:love:
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
she went to Wal-Mart went to the petshop, saw the pups and bought one within half an hour
Yeah, and guess who gets the call when these people decide that thier impulse buy is a pain in the neck, just has to go NOW, and the petshop won't take it back?

Quote:
Every animal we save, does make a difference
Of course you're right. Like the man throwing the starfish back into the ocean said "It makes a difference to THIS one!"
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Owned by goldens

2 mother cats

That pet shop has puppies in cages on the floor. They also pipe some air freshener (vanilla I think) into the air so that it doesn't smell. People are constantly touching the puppies so God knows what kind of diseases are being passed around. I hope your moms friends pup doesn't come down with anything. The pet shop on Taschereau beside Super Mercado use to sell puppies and kittens. I don't knwo if they still do but I can't imagine why they would have stopped. I can't tell you how many times I met people at the vet bringing in sick animals from that place. They had distemper.

2 mother cats and 11 kittens. If only 5 of those kittens are females they will be bringing thousands of unwanted kittens into this world.

The only way to stop this is to educate as many people as possible. At the end of the month I will be speaking to a group of high school students about rescue. YOu can be sure I will be mentioning not to buy from a pet shop.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I hope your moms friends pup doesn't come down with anything.
Right. A puppymill puppy detoured to a petshop is not likely to be a very healthy specimen. I hope this woman has deep pockets to care for this puppy.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
I cannot even pass by their fishtanks,without getting a lump in my throat
???? is it cruel to keep fish in fish tanks?? im not getting this one!! I buy all my fish at petshops, i was unaware that there are fish rescues??

Quote:
Right now, there's so many calls from people with pregnent cats and kittens all over the place it's hard to keep up and decide who to help.
Bad time of year for irresponsible owners and ferile cats! I keep an eye out in the pets classifieds here and thats all there is right now KITTENS FREE TO GOOD HOME!! every second ad!!!!
As far as who to help??? I couldnt even begin to think of the calls rescues get, I have read a few on this board and cant believe the stupid excuses that are used!!!
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i was unaware that there are fish rescues??
That gave me a laugh, then I got curious, and a quick Google brought up this:
http://www.caoac.on.ca/FramesetMain.html