Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Old pee / New pee

I recently lost my 5 year old little boy chihuahua to surgical complications. He was a good puppy but did have some bladder issues and therefore peed in the apartment several times. It was usually in the same spot. Most of the time we found and cleaned the pee before it dried. I have cleaned it with boiling water, vinegar, baking soda, and oxy clean (not all at the same time). I am planning to get another boy puppy and am concerned that he will be able to still smell the spots and therefore want to eliminate there immediately. Any suggestions? Should I get the carpets professionally cleaned before bringing in a new chihuahua? Is there a special remedy that I could use to spot clean the area? Or am I just being overly concerned? I just know that a new puppy is likely to have accidents and I don't want to encourage or make it more likely. I live in an apartment that is wall to wall carpet.
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, moose12981! I'm so sorry for the loss of your little boy

Before you get a new pup, you should look for an enzymatic product that is made specifically for neutralizing the odor of urine. There are a number of brands like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Many pet supply stores and online catalogues carry them. They enzymatically take care of any lingering odor.

If it was mostly just in one spot, you don't need a professional cleaner--just treat the area around where the accidents took place. We use Simple Solution and if I'm using it on a spot that has already dried I just soak the area with the Simple Solution, let it air dry, then vacuum and either shampoo or wipe the surface with a damp cloth to get rid of the residue.

If you think there may be more than one 'trouble spot', it might be easier to find a professional carpet cleaner who specializes in eliminating pet odors.

Once you get the new puppy, make sure you keep some of the enzyme cleaner around and use it to clean up those potty-training accidents to prevent your pup from remarking the same spots.

Oh, and when you get your new pup, we'd love to see pictures!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
-

Hazel ~ can Simple Solution be used on wood or just carpet. How about wool or just synthetics?

Hey Moose ~ welcome to the board! So sorry about your little guy. And such a youngster too.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The bottle says it's good for use on all carpets, both natural and synthetic fibers; concrete; brick; anything you can clean with water. It doesn't specifically say it can be used on wood--but if it's a sealed floor, it's probaby safe. I use it on all of our sealed floors--just spray it on and wipe off with a paper towel. Since sealed floors shouldn't be absorbent, I don't usually wait the full 10 minutes before wiping it up.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
-

Thanks ~ good to know! For some reason people always ask me what works best for urine stains/ odours? Sniff, sniff...

Tags
carpets, clean, housebreaking, odor, training