Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM

could it be worms?

Ok so as many of you know I have had Abraxas with me for a week now. Everything has been pretty good. He had a bout with eating but that subsided when I figured out he doesn't like his food warm and he likes it soft. Just a min ago when he went poop, there was a small amount of blood. Stool is firm and normal.He had been dewormed in April. He is on a homecooked diet, with occasional raw foods. He also has been wanting to eat the grass when we go out for walks. I am taking him to the vet, but wondering since it is Sat should I take him to an E.R. vet or is it ok to wait untill Monday? He hasn't eaten anything foreign or gotten into anything. I watch him VERY close after what happened to Sarge. All and any suggestions are appriciated.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It could be a lot of things, ranging from a bacterial infection to worms to stress and everything in between...good thing you're taking him to the vet. However, if his stool remains firm, he's behaving normally otherwise, is drinking and eating, and has no temperature, Monday is probably soon enough to take him in. Bring in a stool sample when you go--likely they'll want to check it out.

Good luck Keep us posted when you find something out at the vet!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:48 AM

thanks

Yes the vet said it was fine to bring him in Monday since he isn't acting any different and there hasn't been any more episodes. Thank You for your imput
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM

update

Took Abraxas to the vet today. Yep he had worms poor guy.....So he got dewormed and his 2nd rabies vaccination.....He is good to go now, if only I can get him to stop chewing on everything LOL....I know puppiness, it shall too pass. Oh he weighs 60 lbs, So that means he has gained almost 6lbs since coming to live with us. He is doing great.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad it was just worms... or should I say "just" worms cuz that whole wormy thing sort of just sets my teeth on edge But at least it's easily treatable!

he he They're supposed to outgrow that 'eating everything' stage?? Ours are all over 3 years of age and they still glean the yard first thing out every morning--rabbit raisins, sticks, grass, leaves, anything slow enough to catch, pine cones... We deworm regularly...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."