Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

View Poll Results: Declawing an indoor cat: Yes, No, ??
Yes 3 20.00%
No 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Question My Kittie "JACK" can't stop biting my feet! Does he have a foot fetish, or what?

Help! Every night when I'm laying in bed or on my couch, my cat "jack" attacks my feet by clawing and biting at them.

I hate locking him up when I sleep because I'm not quite sure if that's the right thing to do. I am a first time cat owner, a little clueless on how to really take care of this little boy kitty when it comes to training and disciplining.. Someone pls help!

HELP!

Old March 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM

This is normal behavior, cats are natural hunters and your kitten is just "practicing". With my three cats, I simply give them a firm NO, and distact them using one of their toys. Also, kittens do grow out of the late night playtime, just as babies eventually sleep through the night. Cats are distracted with anything with "fur or feathers" on it. Or you can simply use a piece of yarn. I would recommend you get your cat neutered as well. In my personal experience (I have two males) it makes them less agressive, and they don't wander to far from home. It also keeps a lot of diseases away. Cats are highly intelligent animals and can be trained, if it is done with love and caring. Be firm, never yell. I have even taught one of my seven year olds and my eight month old to sit on command. Your pet will give you years and years of joy and laughter, just treat them right.

Best of luck.
Old March 24th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Administrator

To answer your question:

Cats certainly do like moving objects, especially when they are young! They can't help but jump on those delicate feet in bed or while on the couch!

Here are a few suggestions:
You might want to toss a soft toy in his direction when you are getting into or out of bed or while on the couch.

Saying "no" to your cat chasing your feet will help. At the same time, you may want to send another soft toy his way to keep him distracted.

There are some "educational toys" out on the market that you might like to look into. They will help prevent your cat from chasing your feet. These toys are called "kong" toys. Stuff the kong toys with your cats favorite food and/or treats and toss it to your cat.

There's another product out on the market that is shaped like a ball and dispenses your cats nummy treats when touched. This may help keep your cat's mind on something that is fun and tasty if you have to move your feet around.

If you've tried all of the above and your cat is still chasing your toes, time out in his cat cage might be required.

Although it might be tempting, please remember to keep your feet very still while training your cat outside of his crate.

Hope this is of some help to you.

© Nancy Kitching 2003

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club), and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165