Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Scare with Shadow yesterday

Well I thought I was losing her yesterday afternoon. I was down the hall at the office and when I came back she had come from around the side of my desk and as she rounded the corner she fell over. She tried to get up and fell over again. By this time I was with her and had hold of her by the front of her chest. I was worried that she may have been having a stroke or something, although my gut told me it was probably her legs. She was just staring at me and her face was so confused. I could see her thinking Mom, what's going on? Help me. After a minute or two of holding her in one spot she got herself up and went and laid back down on her bed. I immediately packed up my stuff and left for the vets office with her. They took her in immediately and the vet ruled out stroke or neurological issues. He feels she has some swelling in her spine that may have pinched some nerves and caused her legs to go numb.

So we upped her dose of Metacam because she was only getting that every three days or so, and in a week we are going to start her on Cartophen shots (thanks Teri). I have noticed in the last while that her hind legs seemed weaker than they used to, we even had to start putting a carpet down by her food dish as her hind legs were sliding away on her. I'm hoping the Cartophen will help her with some of that hind leg control again.

It was so scary though watching her fall over and having no control over her legs. I seriously thought for a moment that that may have been the end of her, but found some comfort in the thought that if it was the end she would go in loving arms. Thankfully, it seems we're not done yet. Whew.