Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 2nd, 2003, 02:26 PM

Update on "Pregnant cat?"

I made an appt. for KitKat on the 21st of June, but due to a vet. emergency, it had to be rescheduled. I brought her in yesterday, and indeed, she is pregnant. I was a little dissapointed, though, because not only could the Dr. not tell me how far along KitKat is, but she had no idea how many kittens there will be. Her only reply to those questions is, "It's hard to tell." But any day now, we should be seeing the new little sweeties.

I do wonder, though; what do I do now? I fixed up a box with one of my daughters old baby blankets for her to (hopefully) have her babies in. But it seems like I should be doing something else.. This is a big deal to me, and I am sure it is to my KitKat, too. It just seems like I should be doing something.

Are there signs to watch for indicating when KitKat is going into labor? The Dr. Didn't elaborate too much on that.

Any help is appreciated.

Kelly
Old July 2nd, 2003, 05:34 PM

I'm sorry that your vet couldn't be much help to you (may want to find another)... I will try my best but my knowledge of cats to be quite honest is rather limited. With that said, I do recommend that you have your cat spayed after she has the kittens as there are health benefits to spaying companion animals as well as the major benefit of not contributing to pet over population. Here are a few links I found that might help you out a bit.... if you have any questions just ask and I'll try and find the answer for you. Good luck:

Nutrition For the Mother Cat

The Essentials of Kitten Nutrition

Cat Pregnancy

Breeding and Queening Cats
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:11 PM

Thanks!

Those links were very helpful! I feel much more at ease about the oncoming delivery.

I am wondering, though, if you know anything about the queen nesting. One of the articles did say that near the end of her pregnancy she will find a nest.
For the past few days KitKat hasn't greeted me in the morning. In fact, when I look for her, she is no where to be found. Today, however, I searched my basement and found her laying on a pile of expensive curtains in a dark corner. I moved the curtains and put a shallow tupperware container with an old blanket in the bottom in it's place. Was this a good idea? Will she use this now? Should I set up a few more boxes so that she can choose one?

Kelly