Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM

any suggestions helpful

I am so upset ... I work with this person that just had her 2 year old pup put
down at the vets. This 2 yr old pup was the brother to my girl kates. This
person had a dog once before & got rid of him. When she decided she was
going to get another pup, we as coworkers strongly discouraged her but the end result was she got him anyway. After 3 months of puppy we could tell
the dog was in trouble & I offered & offered to take him..this happened over & over again until he was about a year old. She declined each time & said
it would be too upsetting to her daughters (ages 3 & 6). Now she & hubby are having troubles & they are moving to an apartment that will not accommodate him. the house was listed in September, she only just started looking to place him in another home last week (Nov). Today she announced some guy had come over to take the pup & the pup bit him, so she took the pup to the vets & had him destroyed yesterday. I can barely look at her let along work with her over this....but work with her I must.
any support or suggestions would be helpful
crying in Ontario
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Depending on how long or how much i liked the job,i'd have to quit........
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM

This makes me angry too! Poor little guy There is nothing you can do for him now. Since you have to work with her, just don't discuss anything animal related with her, or around her. She doesn't deserve to hear how happy your animals make you. And if she does hear the joys of pet ownership, she may decide that she needs another which she does not. If she starts to talk about her dog, or getting another one, just coolly remind her that she made her choice, took the easy way out, that there were other, better options. I am suprized that they put the dog down. The vets around here do not put a healthy dog down with out trying to find it a home (though they tell the idiot owners that bring them in that they will put them down..."at the end of the day, in case you change your mind" )
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Hard as it is, sharing your feelings with her probably won't change who she is, and it's too late for the dog.

Remember, that in the telling of her story you have your own feelings and interpretations that weigh against her. If we heard her story it might weigh in another direction. Though I am not sure I could sympathize with her regardless.

Basically you have lost trust in her as a person and that is sure to reflect in your interactions with her. I would ignore her and do my job. If she ever asked for advice on anything I would let her know how you felt about this issue and the hundreds of times you tried to help and she ignored you. You are simply not interested in helping her anymore. End of story.

Be sad for the dog, but you need to move on. This rests in your heart way more heavily than it does hers. I am sure she hasn't thought twice about it.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended

Last edited by tenderfoot; November 28th, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Arg! I can't beleive anyone is that cruel and doesn't care about the life of something as cute and loveable as a puppy. Plus the puppy probably felt threatened by the stranger. Ugh!! I'm so sorry. I personally would confront her and show her exactly what kind of person she is...but I'm a confrontational type of person and wouldn't reccomend doing that...if you have to work with her.

I'm assuming she doesn't listen or understand other ppls' point of view. I guess technically it's not animal cruelty...just cold heartedness.

I don't know but good luck.
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM

quitting is not an option and I try to keep conflict out of my life. I feel comfort in knowing the vet she used & that he just may have adopted the pup himself.
It has helped to just talk to you.
Thanks to everyone