Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 28th, 2001, 01:23 PM

Kittens Breed Question

Hi.

My husband and I are planning on purchasing a kitten for the family for Christmas. We have a three-year-old (who is here half the time), and a two-month-old who lives here.

Which breed of cat is best to get for young children?

Thanks

Cathy
Old January 17th, 2002, 10:34 PM

We have a russian blue crossbreed and chose her after doing TONZ of research. She came to us via an animal shelter. These are good with kids and seniors, have a great disposition and are very affectionate. Another bonus is that they don't shed very much. This is good as we have an allergic family member. The one we have came trained to not scratch anything but her post and she seems quite easy to train otherwise. We've had her just over a year now but she's about four.

You may want ot talk to your local vet and get some suggestions as well. They have quite a lot of experience with the many breeds out there and could recommend an appropriate breed for you.

I do not recommend buying pets at Christmas time. There is way too much commotion in the house and can be frightening and confusing to the animal. I would wait until there is a normal routine again to introduce any animal to your household. This gives you and your family, not to mention the cat, time to adjust without the distraction of Santa.

Good luck!