Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM

Puppy runs away when off leash

I have a 5 month old husky mix and recently when we let him off the leash to go to the bathroom for example, or if he slips by us when we are going out, he plays "stay away" or ignores us even if we have treats. Anyone have any ideas?
Christa
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

You have a breed in your pup that is known for taking off.That's the Husky.My sister has 3 of them.And I tell you it was hard work to train them.They can be thick as brick.LOL...But they are on a farm and are doing great.

First you must teach him the "come" command...

That is one of the most important commands to teach a puppy.

So instead of me writing a page on how to do this,here is a link...

This is how I taught my guys this command.

The main commands are "sit" "stay" "come" and "heel".

http://www.etenerife.com/dogs/dog_to_come.htm

Hope this helps.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Obedience class unless you've trained before yourself this is a must or pup will run away and get hit by a car.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

You CANNOT let a husky, particularly a pup - off leash in any area that is not enclosed. Period.

That is a fact of life with some breeds, huskies included. Treats cannot compete with the joy of running.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Try saying the "come" comand and running the other way. Most puppies can't resist this and will come running to you. If this doesn't work, put him on a rope, and when you say "come" give jerks on the leash. Eventualy, he will come.

It sounds like a situation where he doesn't like you going. Maybe you could spend a little more time with him before you go, like going for a walk or playing with a favourite toy about half an hour before you go. This would give him time to settle down after playing.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM

I know what you're talking about! Our last husky was VERY difficult to train in this respect. We could never be 100% sure that he would return, which is why we only ever let him off the leash in an enclosed area. Good luck, the advice you received above is quite reliable!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I do agree.

BUT,they can be trained.It does take a lot of work and patience.Especially with this type of breed.

My sister and brother-in-law worked very hard with their dogs.And it payed off.

They are never tied up.When they go outside,they are not leashed.They run around like crazy.And they also have a Border Collie,cats and cows.Good thing they are on a farm.LOL.

Also,there are a few Huskies in my area.Very well trained.They heel beautifully.No pulling.And they also go to the of leash area beside our SPCA.

These breeds just need more training,especially when very young.

But it can be done.Just taks more time.
They also need LOTS of exercise.

Also,I agree that your pup should not be off leash unless in an enclosed are.And untill he fully understands the "come" comand.

Also,the "sit" "stay" comand with also help when you are leaving the house.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Chocolate

I don't completely agree... a lady @ dog park where I used to live had 2 Huskies, a 8month old male & 3month old female.

sure they love to run, as my dog did, but if the park is large enough with a lot of dogs, its going to be VERY hard for the dog to stray.

it's a social animal that enjoys a good run with the gang.

a few weeks later, the female out of the owner's arms & her brother was very conscious of her where-abouts & who she was interacting with.

it all depends on the dog's personality, temperament, & intelligence ... as well as family bonding.

tatapdiddle, if u can't decide on your own what approach @ a park is best for your dog, get to obedience classes ASAP.

trying to solve things on ur own w/o proper background will only delay the real training your dog needs... it'll take more time & energy to unconfuse your dog's & it's typical behaviour that he's grown accustomed to if he DOes con't running away...

hope I helped....
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a firm believer in never letting a dog off leash until it knows the come command. When on leash, when you say come, you can reel it in if necessary.

When he slips out the door, don't holler "come"! Use "here boy" or something like that. Every time you yell come and he doesn't, he is learning that he doesn't have to. Also, don't use come if when he gets to you he is going to get into trouble.

My beagle is generally a good girl, but on occasion, she will slip out the door. I just go to the driveway and pop open the car door. If she is not in by the time the car door is fully open, I ask her if she wants to go bye-bye.
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Chocolate

.... yah, I stopped trying the "come" command when want these unwanting beasts to get in the house, MOMMY HAS TO WORK, damn it... lol

even resorting to "CHOCOLATE" in the most eager voice doesn't work, he has a staring contest with me that says "really? u sure! are you? really? REALLY?" and that turns to the imfamous "make me."

so I just leave him. If I'm serious, I close all the door. And when he's ready, REALLY ready, I let him in... he also likes to play games at the door... what a pointer!

(yes... he does have good days... lol)
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't mean to brag but my 3 kitty-cats,when we are out in the back-yard,come running when I call them to go back inside..
Shaking of the treat-bag and cold winterweather helps too
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Chocolate

hahaa, that's understandable, mine did the same thing.

I taught them not to cross the door frame of the screen door

but then I also knew not to let them enjoy the sunrays during windy days where things blow around in the yard.... we wouldn't want to provoke any incident

as much as the cats ruled the house... somehow these big dogs prefer and fend for themselves in the yard... grr.

house is under the control of humans, while my dogs see the yard as THEIRS... along with any open field...

*sigh* pointers.

LOL
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

It's strange though,how easily all my cats have been trained not to jump over to the neighbor or go anywhere other tham our backyard(mind you,I am outside with them!),so I guess they are not as independant as we think..
We have a 5foot woodden fence all around except for my neighbor behind me,where there is a wire fence,my cats touch noses with their Cocker-Spaniel every day...
Here's a pic of Rocky and Bailey,I hope it does not come up huge... I guess the file was tooo big..did not work.
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Chocolate

shrink it... in properties

huh... I wanted to post a pic as well but I cant find any...
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM

Re: Puppy runs away when not on leash

My West Highland Terrier puppy is terrible about that! As long as he is in the home, he will come, sit, down, etc., on command. He even can be taken, on leash, outside and will potty. HOWEVER .. Give him any chance of breaking free, and not only will he NOT listen, he will dart across the street not thinking, and will go straight up to kids playing and start barking visciously and even try to bite their feet! We are very afraid of getting sued, to the point we might have to find him a new home! We are going to TRY an obedience class, but if he doesn't stop that soon, we're in for trouble. One day he was inside, and when a little girl opened the front door, he darted straight out before anybody could stop him, and did the above actions. It was horrible!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

You need to keep him on leash. Not all dogs can go off leash and you can't expect them all too. Please, for the safety of your dog, please keep a leash on him and be more careful when opening the front door. Put his safety above anything else. If you have to, put a note on the front door for anyone coming over so they are aware too.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Chocolate

Use a baby gate in the house to prevent him from "attackin" visitors who come to the door too. Some dogs can never go off-leash in open areas. So what? You have to bend a little to dog's needs. If he can't handle being off-leash, don't let him. Enjoy your dog with other means.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM

Let's forget what breed your dog is for a minute. Running off is one thing. "Catch me if you can" is a game, that is always (unintentionally) taught by the owner. Owner says "come", and when the dog doesn't, we run towards the dog. Of course the dog then thinks "FUN!" and runs away (you initiated a chase). "Come", now means "let's play". Have you tried running away from your dog (get dog's attention, yell in a happy voice "PUPPY! COME!", then run back in the house)? If the dog doesn't chase you back in, step back around the corner, make funny noises, say the command again, then run back into the house.

Once they understand that "come" means "you come to me" and not "get ready cause I'm going to chase you", then you can stand still and test the command (BIG REWARDS when pup comes!), and never ever call your dog if there's a chance he's not going to obey. Set him up for success, and make sure he knows that come means something positive is about to follow (never call your dog for something negative - ie punishment, or nail clipping if your dog hates that).

At 5 months old, your dog will start to test you to see what he can get away with. Now is the time to reinforce good behaviors.

As for attacking visitors, baby gates will restrain, but won't teach. Good body language (put your dog where you want him) and a "stay" or "wait" is what you need.

Last edited by Spirit; March 3rd, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a good read "trust is a deadly disease"

I know of one person who had a senior greyhound thought he was well trained, never needing a leash to go from the house to the car, 10 years after she got him at 13 years old he did the unthinkable while walking out to the car, seen a cat a took off after it, it was 3 days later before he was dehydrated a little banged up he stayed the next day and half to get him rehydrate and for observation just to be sure he was okay, But the owner learnea value lesson , as another mentioned there are some dogs not well suited to being off leash and instinct will run much deeper and any training

http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/guide/gde_trst.htm

I have greyhounds a breed not well suited to offleash, they do not need and unfenced area to run in to be happy dogs
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:39 AM

It's so true. My dog has a pretty good recall and will heel when I ask him to, but there are times when I just won't risk it (like when he's not tired). Even if it's just a few steps, I'll often attach the leash if he's in alert mode. I'm one of those people that will sort of look at my dogs mood and determine whether or not he's going to behave, and judge on that. I didn't use a leash until recently though (I started training, but decided to train heel offleash first), so now I'm having leash problems (he'll walk loose leash, but play with it when he's overly excited). LOL
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Animal Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
I am a firm believer in never letting a dog off leash until it knows the come command. .
I too agree, but in a public place I would never let Quin off the lead PERIOD.

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!