Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM

Question Please help - itching, bumps

I am really hoping there is someone out there that can help my little Shih Tzu named Boo.

She has developed these little bumps and some seem larger then others. When I took her to the vet they said it was normal... just like an ingrown hair is to humans.

Boo's other problem is itching... I have tried everything. The vet says she has allergies... it could cost a fortune to determine what she is allergic to but they claim it is probably Dz.

I feel that it is not fair to poor Boo. She is up most of the night.. (and has me up) scratching away.

The vet wants to put her on steroids but I do not think that is the answer. It bloats her up and her little heart races away. I have switched her food and give her a little antihistamine.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? What can we do? Does anyone know of a holistic vet near the Mississauga Ontario area? I sure hope someone can help us. Please email me at **************

Last edited by Blathach; August 21st, 2006 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Sorry, no personal information
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Could she not take a smaller dose of steroids, just to give her a little relief while you figure this out?
Have you excluded fleas?
Has he taken a scraping of her skin to test for bacterial or fungal infections? (I know, not cheap, but neither are long-term medication and vet visits).
Once those are excluded, I would keep working on the food (there is a ton of information on this site).
If you bathe her regularly, stop it, at least until you know the cause (unless of course the vet gives you some kind of topical treatment).
Good luck.

Last edited by badger; August 21st, 2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
-

What are you feeding her?
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM

You could try changing her diet i have friends and family members that have had itchy rashers on there dogs under side . the vets told them it was allergies and tried them on medication which did not work we found a new dry food for them and they gave it a go after a few weeks the rash had gone and has never returned the product was called . burns . this is there web sit good luck and i hope this may be some help but if you are unsure try taking her to a different vets. http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/