Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 11th, 2018, 10:13 AM

11m adopted dog suddenly hates crate

Hi All, We adopted Jack from a rescue group from Louisiana 3 weeks ago. We have had him for 3 weeks and he has adapted very well except for crate issues.
He initially loved his crate but was a bit reluctant to go in for the night. He was enticed by a treat and slept through the night. 2 nights ago he did a little poo in his crate and got very upset trying to bury it and woke us up at 5 am banging around in the crate. After we washed everything out and the crate he now refuses to go in even for a treat. I put his food bowl in and he still refused to go in. Last night we gave him a little but push and he went to bed. This morning he had regurgitated food in his crate and when I walked him we discovered worms in his poo. We had it checked an hour ago and vet said mild case of roundworm and we gave him a dose of dewormer. My question to everyone is this. Should we put him in his crate again tonight and if not will this undo his previous crate training? Where should we keep him if not and when should we restart crate training and how? We understand now that it was his not feeling well that started the problem but want to get back to using a crate as we go to our cottage often and want his bed situation stable and consistant. We plan on travelling with him by car in the future so crating is a must. By the way his bread is mixed. Photo attached.
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

This is why I'm not a big fan of crates. If the dog gets sick and you don't hear it happen the poor thing is stuck lying in pee, poop or puke. With our puppies the crate door was open and the crate was in our gated kitchen. Even in mid winter our latest pup found the crate too hot (aluminum floor heated up from body heat) and would leave it to sleep on the bare floor at night. HUGE caveat, dogs/pups can destroy a kitchen and eat a lot of stuff that might destroy themselves too.

But, I do know many rescues advise crating till the dog gets used to your new house. So, is it big enough? I absolutely do NOT agree that it should be only big enough for the dog to stand up and lie down. As big as possible for me, so they can find a cool spot and avoid the three P's, if they happen. How long is he in it? I picked an arbitrary three hours PER DAY. That only happened for us on the days I had to go shopping or appointments or our one social night out and in a very few weeks new puppy was allowed free roam of the kitchen.

My dog is a Lab, smaller than yours I think. He needs at the very least a 30 inch high crate and that won't fit in my current car. My back hatch opening is only 28 inches. I hope you drive a pick up truck.

But back to your question, if such crating is a must, I'd make sure it's HUGE, move it to a different spot and try starting over. I'd maybe give it a complete rest till I was sure the worms were over. Roundworms, ugh, my boy had them two winters ago and reinfected himself. It took months to get rid of them. Even on the meds the expelled worms, apparently, as per my Vet, look dead. But they're not, they are paralysed and can't move but they're not dead. And a dog can reinfect himself by eating them, they come back to life in his gut, or inhaling the eggs that you probably can't even see. So cramped in one spot where that could happen isn't a good idea.

WEll good luck there. I know, not very cheerful. He looks lovely, though we need to see more of him.
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Sorted himself out

Thank for the advice. Jack not only had worms but digestive issues too, the poor thing. Vet recommended no food for 24hrs then boiled chicken and rice for 5 days. She's also recommended putting him in the crate at night to keep routine but to sleep near him so we could let him out IF he was going to be sick. He actually slept fine. As of today he is putting himself in his crate when we are in the kitchen. He is feeling much better too. He is actually a fairly small dog. Only 25lbs but he looks like a big dog in photos lol.His crate is a 30 inch one.
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Really, only 25 lbs? He looks sort of Mastiff mix to me, with that colouring. Made me think he was a BIG dog. Digestive issues too, poor boy.
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:11 AM
banned user

I would change the box and the place. We need to understand why the dog is not comfortable there.
Old November 14th, 2018, 06:28 AM
banned user

Have you tried with different crates?