Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:52 AM

My dog tries to rescue me.

My 7 1/2 yr old chocolate lab is a great dog. very well trained. Behaves the best in every situation. We adopted him when he was 4 yrs old. and he has changed my life. we bring him everywhere we go. The only issue he seems to have is when I try to do activities. I am a swimmer. He loves to swim, obviously. But at the beach, he will not let me swim. It's like he tries to rescue me. He does the same if I sit on swing. And skating. Or climbing a ladder. He has gone so far as to bite hold of my arm to try to pull me away from whatever it is I'm doing. These are not activities that make me anxious so I don't think he is getting bad energy from me. I would love to enjoy these activities with him, but it breaks my heart that he gets so upset. How can I help him see that I am ok?
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wow Interesting question.

Seems to me that this dooger is trying to act like the leader - and is not listening to you - which makes me think that your dog needs additional obedience training...

I'd be curious to hear what others think.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Wow Interesting question.

Seems to me that this dooger is trying to act like the leader - and is not listening to you - which makes me think that your dog needs additional obedience training...

I'd be curious to hear what others think.
I think you hit it right on the nail marko! I agree the dog is the pack leader , the OP should have someone keep her dog on a leash and that person should tell the dog to sit and stay . Or the OP may have to keep the dog at home when she want to activities the dog feel isn't safe to do ! LOL!
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I never even thought of the pack leader issue. He seems more scared than aggressive. He cries and shakes. But I'm willing to try anything. I will get my husband to hold him with the leash.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:45 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He seems more anxious than domineering?

I wonder if teaching him some sort of a 'settle' command would help. For instance, train him to settle on command (whatever you choose to call it) next to you on a mat on the floor at home. Then, when he seems anxious and interferes with your activity, redirect him--have him sit nearby, then reward when he's still. Continue your activity, and redirect again to the sitting position when he interferes. Some people will train with a mat--sending him to the mat when they wish him to be still, and sometimes having that 'target' (the mat) makes it easier to train. If there are two of you to work on it, so much the better! One controls the dog while the other is doing the activity. Just remember to make it fun and rewarding for the dog (lots of pats, and the occasional treat).

Once he settles reliably a safe environment (home), move your training outdoors. Set up the ladder, and have him settle nearby as you go up and down. Then move to a less familiar location with more distractions and try the swings....or swimming....or whatever else you want to do. Patience and consistency will pay off.

Another suggestion is to tire him out some before you do your swimming or swinging. Will he chase a ball? Is there a safe place to run him before you swim or swing? A tired dog is more likely to sit back and just watch the world go by instead of trying to control what you do in it!

Best of luck with your boy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:10 PM

What an interesting problem! It does sound more like a fearful act than a dominating one..but perhaps doing some obedience practice immediately before doing one of the "risky" activities would help? What a lover though!
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Hazelrunpack...thank you for answering. I like that approach. My husband and I will give it a try.
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:14 AM

I'd show the dog that rescue isn't necessary.

Have your husband leash the dog, get it to lay down, relax and calm. Go for a short swim, then come back out - keep doing it and reward calmness in the dog.

Number one for me, if you're expecting the dog to get anxious or act out, then chances are good it's going to happen. If you want confidence, you have give it.