Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 25th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Puppy refusing to pee outside

Hi, guys! Newbie here!

I am currently pet sitting my friends German Shepherd puppy, since yesterday. And he has been with my friend for 3 days prior. He is a wonderful and smart dog, easy to train, and loves people and dogs.

There is however a major issue. He absolutely refuses to pee outside! And he can hold it in for a really long time! And as soon as we walk inside, he will pee on the carpet.
I am doing my best to use only positive reinforcement, which does wonders for everything else. But there's nothing to reward if he won't go. Has anyone had similar experience?
He has a pee pad he's not using inside. I tried to bring my bath mat outside since he went on it once. I have spent hours with him outside, giving him a lot of water, and nothing. The only time he went outside was this morning, but even then it was only a little bit, enough to relieve some pressure. He got a lot of praise and treats for it. He seems ok outside, he plays, and goes to people, he loves the attention. It feels like he was trained to not go outside.
I have a steam cleaner with pet odor removal chemicals, to make sure I get rid if the smell from the carpet, in case that might encourage him to do it. I even tried to bring him inside, wait for him to start and quickly get him outside. It didn't help. It isn't that he doesn't wanna do it in front of me, he will usually look me right in the eye as he pees on my carpet.

In addition to the inconvenience of constantly cleaning, I am worried about his health. It can't be healthy to keep it in for so long. I know I've only had him for less than two days, but they were frustrating two days. I will keep trying to reinforce him in the morning, but any additional advice is welcome!
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Allanah and welcome,

First off...know that's it's common for a dog's toilet habits to change (be reduced) during periods of stress. This may be going on here... normally a few days later things go back to normal.

This is a tough one because we don't know how long this undesirable behaviour is going on....also how long will you be dogsitting?

Personally the lavish praise you're giving...KEEP doing it.

And when you catch (NEVER AFTER...ONLY as the bad behaviour is happening) the dog peeing indoors. Try to give a firm NO! AND take the dog outside to hopefully finish the pee.

If the dog Does have a pee pag with urine on it...I might put on some gloves and actually rub the pad on a tree or a buch right in front of my house.

Be curious to hear if any others have some ideas.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:12 AM

Well, I have decided to spend as much time outside as possible, and after around 6 hrs or so and a lot of water (he has incredible bladder control for a puppy!) he finally peed outside, and got a jackpot of treats and praise. And it seems that was all it took! Since then he only had one accident inside, at night, which is to be expected. He will hold it until we go outside, and pee as soon as we're out! He is a perfect puppy now!!
Unfortunately I will only have him for a few more days.

Thank you for your advice!