Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 21st, 2012, 03:33 PM

Help my dog is prego

My dog is a Rotweiller / American Bulldog Brindle dog , she is 11 months old, she was mounted by the neighbours dog on feb 17th , they were stuck together, does anyone know when I can expect her to have puppies , I have never done this befor and I am really worried on what to expect or do.

thanks for any help i can get
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:36 PM

I am worried that I will be gone to work when she has the puppies and something bad will happen, so preferably would like to know when I should be around .... type deal to help her. it is April 21st and she was mounted Feb 17th by neighbours doggy

Last edited by markjarbour; April 21st, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I would recommend you talk to a vet then after the pups are weaned you get your dog spayed.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I would say any day now. Gestation period is 59 to 63 days. Contact your vet for more information on what to expect. She is very young to be having a litter so please watch her carefully.
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

She is actually overdue now. Are you positive she is in pup? There is always the possibility of a phantom pregnancy. Have you seen or felt pups move ? I agree with the others, contact your vet, and definitely have her spayed later.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Your dog needs to be seen by a Vet as soon as possible. She is overdue, if she is pregnant, and bulldog types can have trouble whelping if the puppies inherit the large head. A C-section may be needed.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Bluesouth Labradors

I would suggest having your vet do an ultrasound/ Xray to see if she has any puppies inside and to see if there is not something going on inside of her that needs medical attention. Was she is heat on Feb 17th as she would be overdue( gestation approx 59 to 63 days from ovulation). She may have had a false heat at that time and male dogs and young female can do stupid things.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

No more news? No puppies yet? Please don't leave us in the dark. Hope your girly pup is OK.
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM

She still has no pups , she doesn't seem big enough , its just because on that date she was caught wit the neighbors dog stuck to her for about 15 minutes , my dog drug the male around like a stuffed toy, so im hoping because of the male dogs horrible experience maybe nothing happened , it was my Dizzy girls first heat also , and her nipples fattened up and I am pretty sure they are pregnant nipples they sag around the nipple like there full of milk, but not without the fatness size of the other dogs I saw on you tube , but lots of rottweilers didn't really show , and I don't feel any puppies , she is still very active , her private looks normal , not swollen or anything at all like it was when she was in heat , could it be im just mistaken and that is now her Normal boob size?
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM

lots of ppl think she isnt , and some say her nipples look like she is , she isnt fat , she still looks nice and lean , no fat belly really just saggy nipples like they are produceing milk , or is she just gonna be that size because of what happen or her body is going through :?
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:40 PM

when she was 4 months old she had Parvo , we brought her to the vet and they fixed her , shes a strong dog pulled through just fine, she went through the weekend Friday to Monday , looking like she was sad , and didn't eat , on Monday we brought her to the vet 1000$ later she was cured/immune, could parvo made her sterile ? I read that somewhere. I tried researching allot , so I am not asking these questions in the dark or from laziness , I don't have much money for vet, am surviving on odd jobs , any reliable advice anyone can offer, I love my dog and wouldn't want anything to happen to her.
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I want to say it could be a false pregnancy but I always urge that a dog going through what you dog is going through has an ultra sound to make sure there is not a dead pup in there. If she is pregnant and over due and due to her breed mixes may require a c section.
C sections are not cheap, spaying would have been a lot less expensive but the fact now is something is going on and she NEEDS to see a vet asap.
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Bluesouth Labradors

I do agree that she most likley is not pregnant, but however since you did know for sure she was in heat and that her body had changes in the past 63 days, I would have to aggree that bringing her in for an ultrasound or even have the vet palpate her( which is less expensive). My vet only charges 50.00 for a Ultrasound.I would also press on her nipples to see if any milk does come out.
With inexperience dogs doing the tango together sometimes it does not produce pups. Which is a good things as she herself is just a baby.
Over the years I have had a few of my labradors go thru false heat and false pregnacies which is never fun. Best to ease your mind and have her checked.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for letting us know where things are at.

Here's a wild thought. Are you sure the male dog was intact? A neutered male can mount and tie with a female.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I hesitate to say glad to hear all is okay, because that's really just a guess. I have to agree that a trip to the vet to confirm this would be best. At the same time you should talk to your vet about getting your girl spayed. She's not a pure bred and you should not plan on breeding her later as there are so many dogs up for adoption already. Plus, if she's spayed you will never have to go through this grief again, nor will she! Talk to your vet and ask him about doing monthly payments. Many vets are open to this. Good luck to you both.