Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Cat tooth extraction price.

I was just at the vet today and found out that my cat has a broken tooth and needs to have it removed. The quote the vet gave me was a $640 (including removal of the broken tooth and cleaning). This seems incredibly high to me. Has anyone else had this procedure done before? Is this price reasonable? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM

It's a reasonable price for a total cleaning with extraction

In Vancouver last year my at the time 17 year old kidney failure cat had a full cleaning with 2 molar extractions and 4 incisor extractions cost me around $980+.

Please ensure your cat has full blood work done prior to the surgery to make sure the vet knows about any possible complications, and good luck

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes. I live in Toronto. My dog had a full cleaning - plus treatment for some gingivitis that was starting around his canines - plus "basic" blood panel - he is only 5 and in excellent health. Total cost was just under $600 - 2 weeks ago. In the past when we had mini Dachshunds, we had tooth extractions. Two canine teeth had to be removed on one of our older dogs - this was very expensive - and it was several years ago. The removal of the smaller teeth did not cost as much. When our guy is older we will need a more extensive blood panel - and since he is an Eskimo with a Collie shaped face and refuses to let me brush his teeth unless he gets to swallow the brush - and turns into Cujo with any form of raw type of bone or chew - forget those. The tartar always builds up on his front/side teeth - otherwise he has extremely strong teeth.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Cool 2catwoman

To Smithjude, I think that price is really high. My cat just got All her teeth (molars and pre-molars extracted, but still has most of his front teeth. This was a issue with constant red gums that were infected. The total cost with x-rays and medicines was just under $300. I just hope this works, and I'm wondering what my kitty will be able to eat now. Probably can food, which she is not a big fan. Good luck...
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM

I think it greatly varies by where you live. I am from Toronto as well and i paid 600 to have my cat's teeth cleaned with full blood work, etc. Yes, you may get a cheaper price at another clinic but ask whats included. When i asked around i found that the cheaper clinics did not do the full blood panel pre op and some did not do IV during op... hence the lower costs.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Could someone here please tell me which vet they go to? I was just at the vet today (downtown Toronto) with my cat Rusty and she estimated $1800 for the simple extraction of two teeth, not including $200 in bloodwork. Im beside myself. Please someone help! When I told the vet i couldnt afford that she said i had to live in the real world.
$600 I could do!

Thank you thank you thank you!
Love,
Vikki and Rusty
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Vicky,$1800 is IMO an outrageous amount,even for Toronto,real,
world or not!!
We paid $800 for 1 tooth extraction,cleaning and the removal of a small growth on my cats tummy,including blood-work.

Unless your cat is in constant pain,I would definitely look up other vets..
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM

Our cat went in to have his teeth cleaned, they had to remove the ten that were remaining. With blood work , the bill came to $339.40.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:20 AM

$250-1000 is normal for minor dental work. If you are shopping around, be careful with estimates for the broken tooth. The time and effort involved in extracting a tooth is very variable and vets who have not seen your cat may easily under- or over-estimate how easy it will be. In addition to an estimate (in the end you may be charged much less or much more) get a cap price to cover the worst-case scenario.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Insane rates

I have been going to a vet in Midtown (Toronto) for 3 years and their rates have been going up year over year until I just got a quote to have my Corgi's teeth cleaned and one extraction with the range being $1700 to $2200. That is twice what they charged me a year ago... and my annual check-up with almost $800 when last year it was $500. The blood work alone was $250. It really saddens me because that is very irresponsible of the clinic to treat their clients like wallets - emotional blackmail. I am now sourcing a new vet because I have totally lost trust.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi View Post
I have been going to a vet in Midtown (Toronto) for 3 years and their rates have been going up year over year until I just got a quote to have my Corgi's teeth cleaned and one extraction with the range being $1700 to $2200. That is twice what they charged me a year ago... and my annual check-up with almost $800 when last year it was $500. The blood work alone was $250. It really saddens me because that is very irresponsible of the clinic to treat their clients like wallets - emotional blackmail. I am now sourcing a new vet because I have totally lost trust.
wow, you guys are paying soooo much..I took all mine in for their annual check-up, shots, heartworm test and payed $ 480 for all four.
Sadie had eyelid surgery and with everything, bloodwork and surgery $390
I couldn't afford having four where you live
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM

HI Vikki and Rusty, go to the Ashbridge's Bay clinic and get the treatment done through Doctor Qadri. He's fantastic and their estimates start at $450. Be sure to tell him Momo and Kismat's owner sent you. He knows us well and is extra good to people we refer.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
Our cat went in to have his teeth cleaned, they had to remove the ten that were remaining. With blood work , the bill came to $339.40.
Where did you go to have this done? Which clinic please?
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:03 PM

I don't think you'll want to drive the distance, I live about 40 miles outside of Buffalo, New York. I thought what we paid was really high, until I read some of the other prices that were charged.
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki8730 View Post
Could someone here please tell me which vet they go to? I was just at the vet today (downtown Toronto) with my cat Rusty and she estimated $1800 for the simple extraction of two teeth, not including $200 in bloodwork. Im beside myself. Please someone help! When I told the vet i couldnt afford that she said i had to live in the real world.
$600 I could do!

Love,
Vikki and Rusty

I think she's the one who doesn't live in the real world obviously. Too used to making a big profit on abusing people in need of medical attention for their pets that she lost touch with reality.
Well I don't live in Toronto but I'm sure that there must be a more affordable option than that.
I wish you lots of luck~
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki8730 View Post
$600 I could do!

Love,
Vikki and Rusty

She actually said "You had to live in the real world" oh that makes me
I once had someone say something similar. They said "well you cant expect me to do this for free" (they were charging an extra 250 that was completely unnessecary)
I said...come here a second..and I pointed out thier "merecedes" in the parking lot. Then I pointed to my car "a chevy geo metro"...and said..NOW..
when your driving what I'm driving, and having to CHOOSE between grocierys or electricity..then you can say what you just did to me . In the meantime...are you going to help me, or do I need go elsewhere.

I ended up else where...but at least I made my point!
your furbaby is having tooth issues. Its part of the so called real world..but that dosent make it any less painful to watch (and pay for).
Hope your baby feels better soon.
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Pet slave.

You have to be verrryyy careful when it comes to dental extractions. Those vets who are charging so little are likely just performing a crown amputation, not a true extraction. Basically they snap off the crown of the tooth and leave the roots, and then stitch the gums back up over top of the root. This is very painful for the pet (I know if hurts to chew if I have a cavity, can you imagine chewing on gum that has a whole tooth root poking at you underneath!). Also, this is very prone to infection, as the remaining root will rot and fester under your pets gums, eventually leading to an abscess and yet another trip to the vet (exam, antibiotics, likely another dental surgery to remove the rotten root). You get what you pay for.

We are a fairly expensive clinic compared to others in our area, and extractions cost $102.90 per every ten minutes that it takes. Canine dentistry, which at our clinic includes a full exam prior to surgery, anesthetic induction, dental exam and charting, prophylaxis/polish/rinse (ie: cleaning), and a day of hospitalization is about $552. These are the fees established by the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association for a veterinarian of "average skill and ability"...My vet is FAR above average and charges these fees, their standards of care are higher than any other clinic I've been to or worked at (believe me when I say that not all veterinarians are the same. I could tell you horror stories for days. Ugh). Also, we do dental x rays before each extraction to determine the status of the root, and if the tooth comes out in pieces (as many do), we do xrays after to make sure all the root remnants have been removed. I know when I had my wisdom teeth out, they missed a small sliver of my tooth, and it bothered me for weeks until it finally migrated to the surface and I was able to pluck it out.

I understand some people don't want to, or can't, spend a lot of money on their pets, but if you're going to get something like dental extractions done, just be aware that different vets have different standards, not everyone does it the same and many vets cut corners to save time and money. While its good for your wallet, it may not be the best for your pet.

I'll get off my soapbox now!
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM

Just wondering your vet

My dog needs a tooth extracted and My quote is really high, I would drive the hour outside Buffalo to have this done. Could you please advise me the name of the vet where your cat had its teeth done. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Our cat went in Feb. of 2011 to Fredonia Animal Hospital, price with pre blood tests was $339.40. Phone # 716-679-1561. Our dog went 4/16/10, with cleaning and two extractions, no blood work, it came to $320.00. That place was Dunkirk Animal Clinic Phone# 716-366-7440. Good Luck.
Old December 9th, 2017, 05:43 PM

Don't know if anyone still uses this forum. But just to make everyone feel better, I'm in Toronto, it's December 2017 and I just paid close to $1800 (with taxes) to have a cat's chipped upper canine tooth extracted. Included pre-op bloodwork panel, unnecessary scaling on the rest of the teeth (unnecessary because there was apparently almost nothing to remove since I do such a good job with nightly toothbrushing), anesthesia, IV fluids, post-op meds, etc. And, they ended up scratching the lens of one eye (but wouldn't admit it) so I also had to pay $60 for eye gel, and have the fun of administering meds and eye gel to a pissed off (but sweet) cat! So you should all feel better about your $300 vet bills, in my opinion. I can't even imagine what that would be like...

Last edited by BoLoSi; December 9th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Yikes. Thanks for the price update. I have not needed dental work on a cat in some years, or a dog, no idea what it might cost these days. I'm well north of Toronto, that might make it cheaper, no big city prices.
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

wow that's a lot!!! We had 4 of twiggy's teeth extracted a few years ago - also a small fortune at 1600. (but at least there were 4 of them....)
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 10th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for your sympathy/empathy, marko and Longblades. I agree it's insanely expensive. I think dental work is much cheaper if you're a human, but clearly there's a wide range in vet clinic charges depending on where you live.
Old December 10th, 2017, 04:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oy!! $1800!!

JD has bad teeth and goes in for a cleaning and check every 6 months. This last time, they did the blood profile (the cheaper one since he's just a young whipper snapper), the cleaning, and found three teeth that needed extraction (two incisors that were broken, and a back tooth that was being resorbed). Total bill was $452.50. We thought that was expensive! We were obviously wrong...

We're in rural WI and get our vet care 50 miles from here, in Eau Claire.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:16 PM

Proof

I understand the reaction, however you would define it: skepticism, disbelief, shock, etc. Imagine how I feel...

To prove that I'm not making this up or exaggerating, here are the two bills (cropped for privacy). The first ($285.35) was blood-work and exam a few days prior to my cat's surgery, and the second ($1480.52) was, of course, the actual surgical bill (extraction of a single chipped tooth). So, total cost was $1765.87.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this post helpful for comparison/awareness purposes.
Attached Images

Last edited by BoLoSi; December 11th, 2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old July 27th, 2018, 02:47 AM

Have to love that pricing, online an iv bag is $11 and you got it for the bargain price of $102 from the vet that apparently makes over $3000 an hour, cripes! The $10 of meds cost you a mere 2500%! so much for ppl wanting to be vets to help animals.