Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 24th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Unhappy Hi and help

Hi everyone this is the first time i have posted, and its a sad one, yesterday my one year old scottie dog Rosie went to the local vets to be spayed, a couple of hours after dropping her off, i got a phone call telling me we are very sorry but during recovery she had a heart attack and died, i just don,t understand there was nothing wrong with my beautiful dog how can this happen, i feel like i took her to be slaughtered, i know this happens sometimes to older dogs but Rosie was fit anf fun and any input would be really appreciated as i am soooooo unhappy my other dog a westie who is two is looking everywhere for her help and advise Please.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Smile

Oh my gosh.....I am sooooo sorry to hear about your puppy......that is every pet owners nightmare. Sorry I haven't got any advice for you except to say that my heart goes out to you and your other doggie. I would be absolutely devastated if that ever happened to one of my cats. It makes me wonder what they do to our animals when we are gone. I hope you find some answers and I am sure you will on these boards, everyone is great here.

Hope you feel better.

Love your animals cause they will always love you back.
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I could never believe a 1 year old dog is considered old....I'm so sorry for your lose.
Did they do some test to see if he was healthy to go thru this?
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Did they do bloodwork to see what kind of anesthesia she needed. Sometimes they can have a bad reaction to a certain kind and bloodwork would tell them that. Don't blame yourself. You were only doing the responsible thing and my heart goes out to you and your other furbaby. I am so sorry for your loss.
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM

I am so sorry to learn about the loss of Rosie, Yes, I too would be wondering what they used for an anaesthic. When Montana, my Golden, was spayed at 13 months, we almost lost her. The vet thinks she had a reaction to ketamine which was used along with valium for induction, and it caused her heart to race and her BP to rise. Again, please accept my condolences. I can only imagine what you are going through. Take care.
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:22 PM

That young it might also be a birth defect, like a heart murmur or a valve abnormality. You had no way of knowing this would happen. It's so rare.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:59 PM
-

jspitch, welcome to the board. So sorry to hear about your loss of Rosie. I can imagine how devastating that must have been.

I think this is a wake-up call to us all. No matter how young a pet is, to always get a blood test done before any surgery.
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Queen

How devastating to get a call like that, i'm so sorry for your loss:sad: I wouldn't have known to ask for bloodwork first or thought such a young dog would be at risk. I guess this is fairly uncommon so they don't warn everyone of the possible complications. I'm wondering if the vet could at least explain to you what they think went wrong so you can make a bit of sense out of it.
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

That's so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Cool thanks to everyone

ive just has my daughters b/day party today and it was so hard to hold myself together with all the parents asking where is rosie? ive come in and read all these loverly messages and i thank u all from the bottom of my heart, its helping me so much, i,m in peices,i wonder what do i do, i feel i have to pay for letting this happen to my beautiful Rosie, i feel like i might have just as well killed her myself, i booked her in to be spayed i arranged it all, it never dawned on me she might not come back, the receptionist did offer a blood test but she never mentioned it was to do with the op,just diabetes and things she said, i am going to complain so that she does her job properlyand no one else loses their loving pet, surely it her job to tell us the reasons for the test not just say, do it if u want its up to you. this loss of life could have been avoided, thanks again to all of you that replied your helping me through.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM
-

jspitch, I agree the receptionist should have explained to you the benefits of having the blood test done. You can't complain to her, you need to tell your vet how you feel. If your vet isn't totally on your side and you come away feeling like your feelings don't matter then I would find a different vet to go to in the future.

Again, sorry for your loss.
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Thumbs up Nice vet

thanks for your response, our vet is a loverly man its just never having had a pet spayed when she said the testing is just for a few illnesses like diabetes, as was very relaxed, only if u won,t to like its no deal, i thought nothing of it as i didn,t know its usual to have these tests i had no idea animals died like this, i think she should have explained this to me, that this is her job to inform us the general public, as obviously the vet doesn,t have time although i am going to speak to him first as you suggested and see if he agrees with what i,m saying, thanks for your reply, i,m not looking to blame her just ensure that it doesn,t happen again, maybe she can inform those like me that don,t know , when they come in and ask, does the animal need this , maybe she will reply, explaining the pros and cons and then they know,and its their decision either way.