Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Need help finding a shelter

As some of you know, I have been having problems with my 2 year old Silky Terrier and as I have been back with him for 3 weeks I am seeing alot of the problems my mom is talking about. My 2 year old cousin was here and she wanted to see him so i was holding him and as soon as she came near him he bit her hand! I have never seen him do something like that ESPECIALLY with me holding him. We have kids over all the time and we can't have him biting them, so I have come to the decision to find a new home for him. He is really a good dog in small crowds, but as soon as too many people come into the picture he starts misbehaving. I would like for him to go somewhere where people want to take good care of him and he will be able to run around outside alot (his outside is confined to a porch and it's really not good for him) with someone who wants to train him and play with him. He does not like little children AT ALL!!! Someone please help me.

Andy (dog)-birthday October 16, 2007
Sophie (cat)-birthday March 20 2009
Annabelle (cat)-passed away March 2010
Missy (cat)-not sure when her birthday is, she was a rescue

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

*Rip Michael, we will all love and miss you very much. Love ya bud*
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Ok, he's almost 3

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

Old October 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you contact furbaby rescue? This is her link.

http://www.furbabyrescue.com/

If she decides to take your baby can you fly it out to her?

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM

It may be a possibility, but we can't really afford to spend a lot to rehome him. We are having some financial troubles right now...

Old October 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Shelters will often not rehome dogs with a history of biting, Sammi. Your best bet will be with a rescue that can properly evaluate and work with Andy. Dropping him at a shelter will likely end with him being euthed. :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi028 View Post
so i was holding him and as soon as she came near him he bit her hand!
sorry but you put the dog in a position where he couldn't get away and felt threatened , scared , that is why he bit. You should have leaft the dog on the floor and let him go to the kid.

that is exactly why I adopted my last foster , because I was afraid he would end up with people that do not know how to treat a small dog. He has issues , but I know how to avoid putting him in those situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Dropping him at a shelter will likely end with him being euthed. :sad:
Ditto Hazel. This dog needs a rescue.
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM

So how do I find a rescue that I don't have to pay for? We can't afford to pay to put him somewhere.

He has bit her before and he wasn't being held that time, he growls at and bites at any little kid that comes over here and he sometimes nips out at adults too.

Old October 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM
-

Maybe you could try this route.

http://silkyterrier.rescueme.org/sites
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
So how do I find a rescue that I don't have to pay for? We can't afford to pay to put him somewhere.

He has bit her before and he wasn't being held that time, he growls at and bites at any little kid that comes over here and he sometimes nips out at adults too.
OK, I've been biting my tongue here, but it's not working.

And just what have you been doing to work with this dog and his nipping and growling.

You are the caregiver for this dog. It's your responsibility to find a safe new home for it if you are not willing to work with the dog and his temperment issues. If you have to pay to surrender it to a rescue then find the money to do that if need be. Period. It's a one time investment to give this poor dog the chance to continue to live instead of surrendering it to a shelter to be put down. You owe that to this dog.

clm
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
OK, I've been biting my tongue here, but it's not working.

And just what have you been doing to work with this dog and his nipping and growling.

You are the caregiver for this dog. It's your responsibility to find a safe new home for it if you are not willing to work with the dog and his temperment issues. If you have to pay to surrender it to a rescue then find the money to do that if need be. Period. It's a one time investment to give this poor dog the chance to continue to live instead of surrendering it to a shelter to be put down. You owe that to this dog.

clm
Well said, clm. It really upsets me when people feel their pet is "too much trouble" and quickly hand it over to be somebody else's responsibility.

Try going to obedience class to train the dog properly.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with CLM and Love4himies. This dog is behaving like this for a reason. And as an owner, it is your responsibity to figure out why. I noticed in your orginal post, that after 3 weeks, you were back with him. Do you go away lot?

This is one of the reason why I loved working for the humane society where I used to live. Every dog/cat that came in, but had behavioual issues would be worked, to see why the animal acts the way that it does. We have a animal behaviourist on staff, who works with animals that need a little extra love/trust.

This is one of the reasons, why we have dogs like yours in our shelters. People who do not properly train their dog, excerise their dog, enough bonding time, attention. Then can't take it anymore and want the problem off their hands, so someone else can deal with it. All without blinking an eye. And it is the dog that pays the price. All because of irrresponible owers.

Then turn around and cry and moan that your dog was put down..I mean yes it is awful and shouldn't happen, but really it is the owners fault as to why the dog has to be pts. And you can't adopt a dog out that has a bite history. Then it would be a public safety issue.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; October 5th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with others here.

It is your responsibility to ensure this dogs safety. If you need to fork out some cash to either go to dog classes or make a donation to a rescue that will take the dog - then do it.

There are many people that have to deal with other people's messes. And WE stand out in the rain to fundraise in order to save the same type of dog that you are trying so desperately to hand over to someone else. Please - take care of your responsibilities, that is your job.
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
As some of you know, I have been having problems with my 2 year old Silky Terrier and as I have been back with him for 3 weeks I am seeing alot of the problems my mom is talking about. My 2 year old cousin was here and she wanted to see him so i was holding him and as soon as she came near him he bit her hand! I have never seen him do something like that ESPECIALLY with me holding him. We have kids over all the time and we can't have him biting them, so I have come to the decision to find a new home for him. He is really a good dog in small crowds, but as soon as too many people come into the picture he starts misbehaving. I would like for him to go somewhere where people want to take good care of him and he will be able to run around outside alot (his outside is confined to a porch and it's really not good for him) with someone who wants to train him and play with him. He does not like little children AT ALL!!! Someone please help me.
I agree with the others. It really doesn't sound like this dog has had much instruction in the way of how to handle children.

I have a 1.5 year old daughter and you will NEVER see her running at a dog, or pulling their tails/ears/hair. She knows the word 'gentle' and we've even taught her to blow kisses at animals instead of allowing her to actually physically put her face near a dog like she would LOVE to do. On that same note, any dog that comes into our home is immediatley 'desensitized' to touch. While we don't let children do this, we ensure that if they ever WERE tugged on - (even by a vet or groomer) - there will be no reaction. We go so far as to even pull gently on their tounges inside their mouths, as well as running our fingers along their gums.

Have you considered that his 'biting' may have been more of a territorial/protective thing towards you rather than trying to be physically aggressive towards the child?

It is YOUR families responsibility to keep this dog and to teach it how to react near children - and to teach anyone coming into your house how to handle your dog. Period.

Please don't fail this dog again - take it to a rescue.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The best place for this dog is with a rescue. It is plain that humans come before the dog in this household. Surrender, and pay if need be. At least give this poor thing a chance.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm a softy

wow.. that is all I can say W-O-W..

Ok... So.. If your child starts to bite what are you going to do? Toss him?? Really? NO you will teach your child with love and patience that is not ok, you will be frustrated and want to blow your lid, but you will do it, when that dog was brought it to the home you made a promise to the dog that you will take care of it, for better or for worse.

That poor dog, you get no sympathy from me, but wow I cry for that dog, you cannot even put time into helping it? You wont spend a dime on it?

Do you know why many of the people on this board have financial trouble? Because they spend countless amounts of money picking up the pieces of situations just like this. People that can see it from the dogs eyes and know the dog deserves it.

Please do the right thing, I cannot even begin to list the things that can and will happen if you give up that dog. He had NO choice to be brought into your home, you owe it to him to fix the problems that ARE NOT his fault, please please do the right thing.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
The best place for this dog is with a rescue. It is plain that humans come before the dog in this household. Surrender, and pay if need be. At least give this poor thing a chance.
I have to agree with 14+K.

I must add that this dog can be saved but in the right environment, with the right people and in a rescue and not a shelter. This way the dog will be placed with an experienced foster family to help in getting through issues.
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I must add that this dog can be saved but in the right environment, with the right people and in a rescue and not a shelter. This way the dog will be placed with an experienced foster family to help in getting through issues.
I have to admit I am ignorant in the workings of a rescue as I would never use one to surrender a pet. I would work with that pet to get it turned around. So I have a question. Do rescues charge a surrender fee? I know shelters do if it's an owner surrender.

* Should add I am not sure how a dog rescue works. With cats and the rescues I work with they don't charge.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammi,

If you are very sure you don't want to pay to bring your dog to a rescue, please contact me. anna@pettiquite.com

I have someone affiliated with Best Friends that will be willing to pick up your dog for you. Please do not take this dog to a shelter, there are better options.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have to admit I am ignorant in the workings of a rescue as I would never use one to surrender a pet. I would work with that pet to get it turned around. So I have a question. Do rescues charge a surrender fee? I know shelters do if it's an owner surrender.

* Should add I am not sure how a dog rescue works. With cats and the rescues I work with they don't charge.
Usually, many do, at least here - for owner surrendered animals. The ones in our city range from $100 - $150.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

There is no charge normally, BUT if a donation is offered, a rescue may be more inclined to help in order to offset the expense of the dog being surrendered.

I never ask for a donation, but I do hint that there is a financial requirement. 1 out of 10 will donate.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
There is no charge normally, BUT if a donation is offered, a rescue may be more inclined to help in order to offset the expense of the dog being surrendered.

I never ask for a donation, but I do hint that there is a financial requirement. 1 out of 10 will donate.
one out of 10. How sad is that. Chances are they paid somewhere between 500 and 1,000 dollars for the cute puppy at the pet shop or byb to start with and once they decide to get rid of it, it's not worth spending a cent on.

clm
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

BM, is that with your rescue or many in your area? That's wonderful if they don't charge for surrendered animals, but I don't know of any rescues here that *dont* charge, unless the animal is found as a stray. :sad:

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
one out of 10. How sad is that. Chances are they paid somewhere between 500 and 1,000 dollars for the cute puppy at the pet shop or byb to start with and once they decide to get rid of it, it's not worth spending a cent on.

clm
Those that really love their animals and there is no solution are the ones that usually offer a donation. The majority of people who abandon their animals usually have a gun at your head using the old 'if you don't take it now, it's going to the pound'. You know that you are not going to see anything from these people.

My opinion on surrendering to either a shelter or rescue it is only curteous to provide somesort of donation. Every darn penny helps (it truly does). If these same people had to have their animals euthanized it would cost quite a bit. If they are willing to save the dog, then the classy thing to do is give a donation.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My opinion on surrendering to either a shelter or rescue it is only curteous to provide somesort of donation. Every darn penny helps (it truly does). If these same people had to have their animals euthanized it would cost quite a bit. If they are willing to save the dog, then the classy thing to do is give a donation.
Do shelters in your area not charge a fee either?? Shelters all charge a surrender fee here - and actually, many dogs/cats/birds are left at the doors. People don't even want to pay the 30 bucks to bring their animal into a warm building...

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Do shelters in your area not charge a fee either?? Shelters all charge a surrender fee here - and actually, many dogs/cats/birds are left at the doors. People don't even want to pay the 30 bucks to bring their animal into a warm building...
If the shelter has the contract for the municipality then no they do not charge, otherwise, yes there is a fee but it is so darn little.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:

Thanks BM and Bailey. As I said, cats I know. Dogs not so much. Shelters here charge to surrender. Rescues I didn't know.
Sorry, off topic again.
When I got Benni and her baby Snoopy I told the woman I would not take them unless she came up with some money to spay Benni. I figured I was doing her a huge favour by taking "ol' cranky" off her hands, she could pay. And the last four my co-worker has given me a little to help out too.

Ok, back to the regularily scheduled doggie surrender........ :sad:

Old October 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
When I got Benni and her baby Snoopy I told the woman I would not take them unless she came up with some money to spay Benni. I figured I was doing her a huge favour by taking "ol' cranky" off her hands, she could pay. And the last four my co-worker has given me a little to help out too.
Good for you 14, for encouraging her to pay at least something!!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Sammi028 who is the dog living with?? you or your parents??

I know that being young you think this is the only option ( to give up the dog) but there are people on this board that might be able to help you or your parents if you/parents are willing to try. It will take a commitment from you and your parents, but it could be achieved with some help.

there is always options, and you have to try everything before you/parents give up..
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
Sammi028 who is the dog living with?? you or your parents??

I know that being young you think this is the only option ( to give up the dog) but there are people on this board that might be able to help you or your parents if you/parents are willing to try. It will take a commitment from you and your parents, but it could be achieved with some help.

there is always options, and you have to try everything before you/parents give up..
Very true Breeze.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Half Way To Crazy

you got very good advice in your thread here... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64869

so what happened?? did your mom stop going for training?? you said things were improving, what set her back??

Tags
dog, shelter