Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 26th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

A Coyote Came Right my Dog Tonight!!

I was in my backyard trying to get Marty to pee before going to bed and when I looked down at my dog a coyote was sniffing Marty rear end! I screamed my head off and the the coyote ran off. I was shaking when I got back in the house. Marty did do anything when the coyote was right near him, my dog did start barking after I screamed . I am really concerned as the coyote did not have any fear of me to had gotten so close to us. I am thinking of calling the cops or ACO as I do not feel safe taking my dog out at night and I have seen the coyote during the day time too. The coyote was very thin looking and it has to been checking my dog out for a meal! I did not mind the coyote living so close to my home but now I am freaked out about it. I knew the wildlife where losing their fear of people but I did not think it would get this close to me , I could had touch the coyote's head that how close it was to my dog and me!
Old October 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I was hoping someone would let me know if they thought the coyote would had harm my dog if I had not frighten it off.
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

It might have. Please inform the agency in your location responsible for wildlife.

A friend of ours watched a coyote carry off his neighbour's small, Yorkie sized dog. He also observed a potential coyote encounter between another neighbour's quite old Lab, a big dog, and a coyote. The man yelled at it and had to chase it away. There's a green belt behind these people and our friend, a biologist, knows of some coyote dens there.
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty did not want to stay outside long enough to pee tonight. I had to let him pee right next my building , I do not like doing this but he said "no way I am going in the yard!" What worried me the most was how the coyote was able to sneak right on on us. I had my hearing aid turned all the way on tonight. I wish I knew what the ACO would do if I called him do not want the coyote killed ,I just want it to move on to a better plant to hunt but there really is no place left.
I will try to made some phone calls Monday and mean while I will bring my shepherd stick when I take Marty out.

Thank you for your reply.
Old October 28th, 2012, 12:53 AM

I don't know how big your dog is but coyotes have been known to snack on small dogs. I'd definately let ACO know about the encounter.
Old October 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty weight about 20 lbs , he is a mini poodle mix.
I looking over my shoulder when I get him outside now.
Yeah I should let the ACO know about this , I had spoken to him a few times about other issues .
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Impossible to tell if the coyote would have harmed your dog.
The RISK is there of course but encounters such as these do not automatically involve predatory behaviour....Seems your dog was not scared until you yelled.

But do to the potential risk, I 100% agree that you should be concerned.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

An article from CBC today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...highlands.html
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry Barkingdog I just saw this thread. Yes it is possible that a coyote will take your small dog. We used to have a member on the board with a Rottie and one coyote would come in the yard to play with the dog and then lure him into the bushes. When her dog would go to play with the coyote in the bushes other coyotes were waiting for him to attack him. Several times he came back covered in bites. Fortunately he was large enough to fend them off. They are clever animals, and if their natural food source is missing a dog or cat is certainly within their food program. I encounter them regularly when walking Halo in the mornings, but the ones in my area tend to ignore us or cross the road if they see us coming, we live near a lake with a large duck and goose population so they go there to feed. I would be cautious when going out with Marty and keep him on a leash, and I would have a stick with me to defend myself if necessary. I would also call ACO and let them know so they have record of it.
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM

You just never know. The coyote could have done a lot of damage to your dog but then again maybe he was just sniffing him. Animals like that can go really either way. It was a good thing though that you were out there. I do not think I would feel safe with my dog out at night either. Scary. I am glad that your scream scared the coyote away. But you do need to do something because next time the scream may not scare him away and only make things worse.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Caution

I would be concerned. We live on a farm and I have seen coyotes take cats, and in my travels I have had clients tell me of coyotes have even lead their dogs away enough to make killing them easier. They are nothing to fool with, if he is that brazen I would not walk without a stout stick.
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been taking Marty out front at night and away from where the coyote been marking it territory and have not seen any coyote scat for awhile in the back yard. Today I found some fresh coyote scat right where I been taking Marty out , the coyote is telling us the frond yard is his territory too! The coyote is marking off my whole yard and this mean it getting really hungry and is warning my dog to back off. I have reported this to the ACO and he really can't do anything, if the coyote does get too close to my dog and me again I have to report it and the coyote will have to found and killed. I am not sure how this can be done as there is more than one coyote around here and they all look alike.
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Not good>a friend of mine when she lived on a farm a couple of years ago would get a pack of coyotes and 2 single ones. one of the single ones would come up to the fence where the dogs were with no aggression at all none of the dogs were scared.

Her and her nefew were out on a horse ride with her one dog and he seen the coyote that would come to the fence and another one we hadn't seen before.the coyotes took of and her dog ran after them wanting to play. the new one rolled him and let him up right away and her nefew rode up between her dog and the coyote.her dog loves to play. so they headed back to the barn and when she looked back at her dog.the coyote from the fence and her dog were running side byside with no issuse but that was the last time her dog went with them