Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Performance Spaniels

Agility Advice?

So Cider and I completed Agility I and one school. I'm nt entirely happy. So much freaking drama, snottiness.. and in some cases not learning much. So while their Agility II starts Monday I haven't signed up..

I love doing it with Cider.. but I'm tee'd.. I've looked at as many schools as I can seem to find, and a lot of them have screwy course descriptions.. like not bothering to do any handling with the dog till later levels.

So.. we are caught in the middle. More handling at this point than most schools use.. Only knowledge of half the equipment, could use more practice..

The two places that rent their equipment do it at rates more expensive than classes are, which isn't really affordable. And many of these schools are charging an awful lot in comparison to schools in places like Ottawa.

So I'm ranty and jealous of people like Lissa who can use their field all summer at a very affordable cost..

I have a tunnel, I made a single jump today, but I don't have the backyard to make much of a course..

Thoughts, suggestions or hugs?

Training in the GTA sucks..
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:49 PM

I looked into agility here and one woman who was heavily involved said that they often rent the equipment and room as a group and do their own thing. It would cut down on costs...
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM

are we allowed to recommend places? here goes.

If you are willing to drive to cameron (just 5 min from Lindsay): http://www.paus-n-train.com/

I went to her winter open house and enjoyed her, the methods she used, and her facility. she comes recommended by a friend of mine too. limit to 4 dogs/class, all positive methods...

not sure if this is what you're looking for...
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Are you doing this to compete, or just have fun? Or not sure yet? There is a world of difference between competitive skills classes and just messing around, as I'm sure you've realized.

But anyway:
Rene Devilliers is a super trainer, runs classes in the High Park area (All about Dogs).

There are also classes at Who's Walking Who and K9 Klubhouse - both are fairly good. Swansea offers classes too, but I know nothing about them.

I've also been taking semi-private lessons in Oakville with a trainer from Dealing with Dogs - I don't want to post her info without her permission, but if you call Dealing with Dogs, they may be able to put you in touch with her.
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Performance Spaniels

I'm in Whitby. Driving to Lindsay isn't feesable at all. Thank you though..

I'd like to compete if it was ever in the cards. We were the only one in Agility I that seemed to do the homework..

I went to muzzelvelocity and sent them an email 4 days ago.. Thay are paired with all about dogs. Never bothered to email me back.. and their site is so out of date it mentions January classes still,..

Swansea seems ot be very hardcore in taking prior classes.. and have such a relaxed attitude the class descriptions don't sound like agility. We are stuck in the middle with WWW and K9clubhouse. Way too much handling for basic classes.. And only know half the equipment keeping us out of higer ones..

I really appreciate the suggestions. I just feel like somehow we got trapped in the middle where the classes are more expensive that in other places. I wouldn't mind if I felt we were progressing more.. which makes me feel liek we could use alone practice..
And emails I've sent out inquiring on field rental go unanswered.

In choosing a school original I was beyond angry.. No one was answering my emails, and I waited a week. Some places I couldnt't get a person during business hours when I finally called..
It's more of a niche market.. so I felt like no one really cared if they got my business or not.

Only thing I found in all of this was the only school with prices like what I found in Ottawa was All about dogs.. Which I liked. I'm just not sure I want to call places that couldn't be bothered to answer their mail.

Sorry, I'm all ranty..
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:11 PM

Give Renee a call.. I'm not sure how 'online' she is, so to speak. Her number is 416 787 3647.

There is also the Agility Farm, run by a couple of the trainers from W3: http://www.citizencanine.com/ - it's just north of you, in Port Perry. They do have "fun run" nights, but I'm not sure how much training is required before you can play. You may need to take another course first, since it is outside.

best of luck - agility is the most fun you can have with your dog!

Last edited by kaytris; June 8th, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Performance Spaniels

I refound the agility farm the other day.. The fun nights are for dogs who can run a full course already. Would be cool if we could..
Their classes are up my alley but we aren't good enough yet. Their's are geared to dogs with more experience..
I'd love to rent the field. But for 25 bucks a pop. It's the same as taking lessons. I wish I lived in Ottawa lately, lol.

I may give Renee a call tomorrow. I'm sad at not taking another set of lessons..

Agility is a ton of fun. Cider has never been more excited, or listening better, even if she zoomies some days

Makes me cranky that the closet places to me are snobby, like 200 bucks for lessons in some cases, or don't reply and make me feel they don't care..
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Agility in Alberta?

I would actually love to get my pups into agility. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Does anyone know of a good place to try for beginners (both me and the dogs).

What should I know before we start? Are there any requirements?

I've got russels that are really quick, love to jump and are quite the diggers and hunters.

Thanks,

Caite
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I love watching agility dogs, they're just so cool. I actually wanted to train my dog for agility when she was a pup--bought a book on agility training and everything--but then it turned out that only purebreds were allowed to compete (in the US.)
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Performance Spaniels

There's a lot of agility and flyball in Alberta. Just google Agility Alberta and weed through some of it. Lots of major sites list all the big clubs. List clubs that trial with varying organizations. Should be a lot to pick from.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Performance Spaniels

LM could you start agility now? If you don't participate within the AKC they allow mixed breed dogs.

I called and left a message with Renee. Beginner 1 and 2 started last week intermediated and advanced next week..

So we probably missed the boat. Oops. Trying to find where you should be level wise is a pain in the bum.
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

You know there is a dog park in the TO area that has agility equipment set up at one end, but I don't know which one this was about 3 years ago when I was down there once

Looking at dog park info to see if I can find

Quote:
Totoredaca (Toto) - Address: Meadowvale Blvd, east of Mississauga Road, hours: 24 Hours, fenced: yes, tables: yes
benches: yes, handicapped access: yes, parking: yes
Comments: This is the replacement park for the now closed Battleford park. It has a seperate wooded area and a separate fenced area with lots of agility equipment to practice with.
http://www.totoredaca.org/Park.htm accordijng to the site there is a $10 annual membership fee for one dog
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Performance Spaniels

You rock my socks OG. I am so looking into that. Worth the drive a few times a week..
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Performance Spaniels

I've found a ton of rocking online plans for stuff I think I could make or modify.. I'm just sad I don't have the room to set up a big course.

I think it's time to bulldoze the backyard neighbours home.. so I can have a helipad and agility course.
I'll take in their dogs that need to be bathed and groomed too.
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
So I'm ranty and jealous of people like Lissa who can use their field all summer at a very affordable cost..
I'm innocent I tell ya!

Did I tell you I was at the agility field today? And if you work it out over time, its like less than .30 cents a day to use ! Just kidding of course...I so wish your were on Ottawa or had something similar!

I know you will find a way to make is work though!!! And if you don't, Ottawa is a great place to love
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Performance Spaniels

I was told by a lady at woofstock today that there is a dog park in markham with agility equipment in it.. But they apparently aren't as technilogically advanced as some other dog parks. I can't find enough info so far..
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
-

Wow that park in Mississauga is AMAZING! Now I'm really :sad: - I don't drive!! Mafia princess - have you approached a local Boys & Girl's Club or other like neighbourhood centre's about renting space & a storage locker ? Local horse barns with paddocks? If you found a training facility for dressage they will have much of the same equipment on-site (just on a much BIGGER scale). Maybe if you gathered enough interested Whitby/Ajax/Bowmanville folks together for a informal club you could offset costs. Sigh...*goes off to natter to herself about "The Better Way*...
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Performance Spaniels

Prin's advice got me thinking. If you could get in decently with some agility folks.. you could rent space at one local facility here for 30 bucks an hour. Few people and you could pay the trainer and the space, and have it be way cheaper..
But I'm not sure how I'd go find people who aren't in agility who'd like to be. Few boards I've been on have had people in any dog sports.. and any Qs I ask go unanswered because people don't do them and lack advice often..
That park rocks. It's a 50 minute drive each way though..
I'd like to try to find the one in Markham, and I'm hoping the message I left with Renee will be returned next week..
It's just all more complex than it should have to be..
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Have you thought of putting up a notice at a few vet's offices? Or maybe with a \n animal shelter? Those places are sure to have lots of dog owners through them and even if they attract only 5 interested parties, you'll have more than enough people to share the expenses with.

I'm lucky, I have a back yard and got a starter agility kit and book for my birthday. The dog really likes it, and if he continues to like it as I add in A-frames, etc, I might enroll him in a school and try competition, if mixed breeds can participate in clubs that run trials locally.
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Mafiaprincess

The horse facility idea is a good one. Lots of space and similar equipment. Most lower-end to mid-range horse facilities are always interested in a low effort way to make extra income and there are TONS of them out your way.

Want me to see if I can make some contacts for you?
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Performance Spaniels

Everyone has awesome ideas, but a farm would get no work at all out of Cider. She'd be cramming horse poop in her mouth as fast as she could, play keep away and generally be as bratty as possible.I have a hard enough time getting her to pay attention in a fenced in agility field with no tempting poop, lol.

So far I have a tunnel and 2 jumps in my yard.. I'm hoping to make a teeter, and have it tide us over until we can hopeful get into one of Renee's classes, if she calls back in near future.