Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:03 AM

"killer instinct"

We have a 8 y/o lab mix who is very friendly to people - but very dangerous to small animals (cats/rabbits/fawns). We can not let him off the leash because of his tendency to kill these small animals. Unfortunately, he has harmed 5 animals - once a cat who wandered into our fenced yard.
My husband is very concerned about this behavior - and after our pets last "attack", wants us to get rid of him.
I would prefer to exhaust all options before doing so - as he is so sweet to people - just very very energetic and excitable.
Is there any kind of training, treatment, medication or anything that might help calm this instinct in a dog? I am desperate!! thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Training!! I would suggested to stay away from medicine, it's only a temporary fix, and costly one too...medicating a pet is not a solution....
Have you begun obedience training, that should make a signifcant change in attitude. I found that my puppy would try to get squirrels and such, we began with a "leave it" command indoors, and then graduated to outdoors.

An excellent book for getting a grasp on training is "Good Owners, Great Dogs"
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.a...39618850531102

I hope that link worked...but I recommend you look into it and keep your pup on a lead...hope that helps...
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I welcome any other ideas and thoughts. I will look into the book. Again, thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

sammiec is right. A dog can't chase a cat if he is in a "Sit/Stay". My own high prey drive dog now doesn't lunge when she sees squirrels, BUT if a rabbit runs in front of us, nothing will stop her. I keep her on leash at all times.

As for the cat your dog killed, that is very sad, but if people let their cats roam where they may be attacked by dogs, it's not your fault - especially since your dog was in his own fenced yard.
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:12 PM

I think that some dogs have a high prey drive for small animals, but I haven't heard about that in labs before.

I know when I was reading about coonhounds (that's what my dog is) they mentioned them not being trusted around cats and said they can adjust to the cat they live with but cats just outside were fair game. Our dog gets along with our own cat in the house fine, but at first was playing too rough with her as a pup and we trained her out of it. I know she gets really freaked out when other cats run by our house (barking, seeming to want to jump out of her skin, and she even vibrates when looking at our neighbours cat through their window) but I really don't know if she would hurt them or not.

I think that certain dogs may be just predisposed genetically to this and it may be next to impossible to train out of them. Just like hounds who follow their noses because that is what they were designed for.

I wouldn't get rid of a dog who in all other areas was well socialized but only had a problem with small animals like squirells or cats that trespassed in your yard. I would just make sure they were properly contained/leashed and this behaviour wasn't seen with people or other house pets.
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

All dogs are predators, and Labs are no exception as they are hunting dogs.

Some breeds are more predatory than others, in general. Dogs like huskies, greyhounds (and other hounds) and terriers are not to be trusted with any small animal.

It's just the nature of the beast!
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

If my Poodle X got a bird around here, I'm sure he'd kill it. Especialy the birds. It depends a lot on the breed, and the personality of the dog. You might find it helpful to have the dog on a choke collar positioned high on the neck. This way he most likely won't pull, since this is a sensitive area on their neck.

Also, you should tell him to sit when you see a small animal, and distract him if he notices it. Keep him in the sitting position, with the collar high on his neck.