Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Much happier dog this morning!! She sort of wants to play, but I will have none of that for at least a week!! I don't need any more Vet visits for awhile! lol
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good news!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Update Sat Nov 10th!!

May have to change Mels name---as we named her Mel--short for Mellow! But she is no longer Mellow!! Doing our best to keep her quiet, since she was only Spayed on Monday. For the most part she remains mellow, but she really wants to run!! And with those long skinny legs, she looks like a young colt (well fawn in her case) running!!
Once she is back to normal and off all meds we will try to find her a new home. With this extra animal, it has caused my wifes allergies to act up! And I don't use the allergy excuse in vain--as I know many people just give up animals and make up the "allergy"
Any of you canucks that would make a great parents--let me know, I would be happy to ship her to you at my cost!! She is an awesome dog!! Maybe around a year old--and NOT one accident in the house!! has not chewed anything either. She slept with me last night for awhile under the covers!! She is just a very grateful dog!!
And don't forget to take some time tomorrow to remember all the VETS that fought for our freedom. Freedom is not free!!
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:00 PM

UPDATE: Nov 15th

Mel continues to do well. She had her stitches removes this past Tuesday and got the approval to come off the injured list. She she and our other dog are back playing and for the most part enjoying each others company! She weighed in at 19.2lbs, so almost 5 lb gain in just under a months time. She hates sleeping in her crate and a few times I have let her sleep with me, and she just snuggles right in and is set for the night!!

Back to the vet on Sat morning to get her blood work and SNAP test done. Even if she is negative, going to do another week of doxy (so ttl of 4 weeks)
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Thats good that all is going good for her she does look like a real sweetie
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wonderful to hear that Mel is making great progress!! We need more pics, you know!! But no pressure...just whenever you get the time.

for Mel's continued recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Update Nov 17

Back to the vet to recheck the bloodwork and SNAP test! She weighed in at 19.8lbs!!

Bloodwork was all in the normal range!! But her SNAP came back poistive! so 3 more weeks of doxy it is!! Really not surprised as her body has been fighting other issues. So hopefully now her body can just concentrate at the Ehrilichisos.

She is 1 happy and playful pup!!
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Thats good that the blood work came back normal.and she's a happy pup
that you can get the Ehrilichisos under control
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

So glad she's playing again! That's always a good sign! If she's showing a strong positive, the extra weeks of doxy are a really good idea. If she's still strongly positive next time, see if your vet will give you a couple weeks of Amoxicillin next time. We have good luck using doxy/amoxi as a one-two punch for anaplasmosis and lepto. Might work for ehrlichiosis, too

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM

She has been playing from day 1! Just a lot more now AND she acts more like a puppy. Lot more spunk to her thats for sure
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Back to the vet today as its been just about 6 weeks on Doxy----Well Saturday would be 6 weeks, but they are closed)

Hopefully the SNAP test comes back negative--if it does NOT--what then??

Another person we know here adopted a dog 1 week bfore us and he too was positive---and in his recent SNAP test (after 6 weeks on doxy) he was till positive!! Vet stopped his meds. I dont know the whole story, just that they stopped his meds as his blood work had improved. Which to me sounds strange--as of course the bloodwork would improve on Doxy--but now that he is no longer on any meds---one would think, he would eventually turn for the worse?

Cheers
Scott
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The snap test checks for antibodies--so if the dog has recently had one of the diseases tested for, has kicked it, but the antibodies are still high, the dog can still test positive with the snap test. When we have a case like that, they'll typically run a CBC to make sure all the affected components (platelets, WBC, RBC, etc) are square in the normal range. If things are still askew, we'll treat longer with antibiotics and retest at the end of them. Sometimes we'll treat another 2 weeks if things are all in the normal range but at the low end (platelets, WBC, RBC) or high end (WBC) of normal, even if the snap test is negative. We'll also run a CBC a few weeks out from the end of the antibiotics, just to make sure nothing is flaring up.

Tick diseases are tricky little blighters.

that Mel's snap test is negative and all her bloodwork looks normal!!

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The snap test checks for antibodies--so if the dog has recently had one of the diseases tested for, has kicked it, but the antibodies are still high, the dog can still test positive with the snap test. When we have a case like that, they'll typically run a CBC to make sure all the affected components (platelets, WBC, RBC, etc) are square in the normal range. If things are still askew, we'll treat longer with antibiotics and retest at the end of them. Sometimes we'll treat another 2 weeks if things are all in the normal range but at the low end (platelets, WBC, RBC) or high end (WBC) of normal, even if the snap test is negative. We'll also run a CBC a few weeks out from the end of the antibiotics, just to make sure nothing is flaring up.

Tick diseases are tricky little blighters.

that Mel's snap test is negative and all her bloodwork looks normal!!
3 weeks ago, during her last snap test, her bloodwork looked great! Platelets, RBC, WBC, but her SNAP was still positive!! Do it all over again in a few hrs. Thanks
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM

I emailed my Vet back in Arlington VA....not sure if he would reply...but he did! He stated that the SNAP test can not be used with confidence that the disease has been eradicated! He said what they do is send out to the lab a Ehrlichia PCR....that way one knows for certain! BUT of course we can't do that test here in Nicaragua! We took her blood and her RBC, WBC, PLt, were all in the very healthy side of Normal!! So we will continue to monitor Mel. She is 1 very happy, energetic pup--and weighed in at 22lbs!! Sometimes I wish she was a bit more Mellow,lol Many Thanks for all your help and support and have a great Christmas!
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good news on the bloodwork! Hopefully she has it kicked now!

Merry Christmas to you, as well, flames9! And (not to be pushy or anything) but a few Christmas pics of Mel would be most welcome!

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM

Mel--almost 1 year later

Nearly a year later and happy to report she is doing extremely well!! She is around 28lbs now...yes maybe a few pounds heavy, but she is 1 happy and lovey pup!! She does whine a lot at times, and so far the only item that has worked is the mini-Einstein--a training collar, but is very effective.

We guess she is maybe around 1.8 lbs old! Thanks again for all the great info you all provided us.
Attached Images

Old September 19th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I am glad that she is doing well

Very sad to hear that you feel you need to use a shock collar though There are better ways...

As a ide note, I would want to know why my dog is whining, whether there is pain, anxiety, etc.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
I am glad that she is doing well

Very sad to hear that you feel you need to use a shock collar though There are better ways...

As a ide note, I would want to know why my dog is whining, whether there is pain, anxiety, etc.
It has a tapping feature and a shocking portion as well that has a huge range! I was away back to Canada for 3 weeks and she whine ALL evening when my wife came home from work, she was in tears with frustration. Believe me we have had to to the vet numerous times. And it really is not that cruel, I have tested it out on myself. She wil literally just sit there and whine and whine until one plays with her! She will whine for supper--I have waited for over 20 min for her to stop whining for supper, nope! All it has taken is a few gentle shocks and all is well. Actually just require the tapping feature and all is solved.