Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:21 AM

New Kitten help!!

I got a new kitten on Thursday well Thursday night my mom accidently let my 6 year old daushand mix into my room with the kitten. Well of course the kitten batted at my dog and I've kept them separated. Tonight before I went to bed I tried to introduce them again. The kitten was in her crate and my dog loose. The kitten seemed to except the dog to an degree and even reached her paw out of the cage. My dog went to nip at her paw and I corrected him . my question is how do I proceed from here. Maybe I rushed him meeting the new kitten tonight. Please help I justb lost my 3 year old cat to kidney failure and I really want Emily to work out
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I would keep on as you are doing. Your dog is used to cats, his cat, I would not expect it to take long for him to realize the new kitten is his cat as well.

Normally you would keep the kitten behind the closed door, as it seems you intended, but that step is over now, unintended but it is, so I don't see a point to going back to it.

Other tricks are feeding and petting in each other's presence. One I always do is make sure the first pet is greeted, petted, fed, spoken to, played with first. I do suspect this makes me feel better but I think it helps reassure the first pet they aren't being replaced.

Good luck. They may not become best buddies but tolerance for each other is acceptable.