Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM

Whining Dog

My dog is a Golden lab/Keltie cross and he is a well behaved dog well trained And we spend a lot of time with him. But he has always whined and cried and now it is getting almost too much to handle we love Tucker and would like to know if the is anything we can do to stop the whining?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Keltie? Do you mean sheltie??
Shetland sheep dog?

Shelties and collies bark a LOT
Shelties do moreso then collies, yappy barking typical for a sheltie

When does your dog whine?
Are you sure it's not ill?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you sure that you haven't trained him to whine? Ignore the whining, and only give attention when he stops.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:39 PM

He can be right at my feet and still be whining. It get's worse when other people are around. He also likes to 'talk back' when we tell him to sit or lay down. I find the longer we ignore him the more his whining progress's, so that does not work. We wonder if he is still maturing and we should just go about everything the way we have been, and just deal with his behavior. We would NEVER give him away because of his behavior problems, we just need a little advise. He means the world to us!! He had his Annual shots for Distemper etc.... last month. The vet said he was normal and growing at a normal weight and size.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba,maybe it's Kelpie....Another name for an Australian Cattle Dog......

When was the last time he was at the vets?Maybe there is something bothering him.Physically..
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay doggie owner, what is your dog LMAO we are trying to figure out the breed!!

Your dog may whine for any number of reasons
could be in pain or discomfort, maybe have ear infection or even vertigo so to speak. I'd have your vet do a good examination to rule out any medical problems first.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:30 AM

He's fine and normal at home with just the wife and I, he only let's us know when he wants out, but even one more person he whines. I don't think it's a medical problem?? Sorry, he is a Golden Lab/Sheltie cross! But it seems like an acceptance problem.
Attached Images

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

How does your dog like other people? Is he anxious, or fearful when guests come in?

Most importantly, what do you do when he starts whining?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:40 AM

He is a very social dog as are all Labs, and he likes to greet everyone. He doesn't get spooked easily, and is never fearful of anyone. when he starts whining all we do is a "no" and and we try to ignore the bad behavior, but he persists. He is a very affectionate dog and loves attention, and he get lots of it.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

To me, it sounds like he is demanding attention. Without seeing the behaviour I can only guess.

My suggestion is that when he starts whining, clap your hands once sharply and say "No CRY" or something like that. He will probably be startled into stopping for a second or two. Take that opportunity to say GOOD! and quickly reward him.

You can then make the time between him stopping the whining and getting the treat longer and longer, and hopefully this behaviour will be extinguished.

If he is particularly stubborn, you can give him a time out alone in another room for a few minutes. He should catch on that whining=time out and/or correction, and not whining = rewards and attention.

Do not tell him "No" multiple times and then let him continue to whine and stay where he is. Give the command once only, and then take immediate action. If you don't, this will teach him that he can safely ignore you.