Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 11th, 2014, 07:19 AM

Molly - Blood pressure

Molly had he geriatric assessment late last Fall - she is doing darn well for a girl who will turn 13 in July. Blood & urinalysis results are all good.

However her blood pressure is slightly high according to the vet. We have tested it at intervals since the assessment and it's been about the same, neither higher nor lower. Sorry I don't have BP numbers to quote.

Molly's diet, as far as I know, is not high in sodium. Her main food is Wellness chicken or turkey but I also give her Hill's z/d when her suspected IBD flares up. Not my favourite choice but it has made a difference. She won't touch the dry z/d so I mix it with Natural Balance green pea & duck (about 2/3 z/d, 1/3 NB). As far as I know neither of these is too high in sodium.

Last week the vet prescribed amlodipine; I asked for oral liquid instead of pills. It's pretty well impossible to get a pill into her at home. The dose is 1ml of liquid each morning.

I have absolutely no experience with managing BP in cats. But I am wary of giving her amlodipine - from what I have read I can't miss a single dose. Since I will be going away for a couple of days in early June I haven't started her on the meds yet.

Can anyone lend advice & thoughts on BP and this medication?

On a side note, somewhat yucky - Molly's check-up two weeks ago revealed packed anal glands. Not infected, just packed. The vet expressed the glands during the visit and it was pretty unpleasant for Molly. But two weeks later... boy what a huge difference in her. Happy-scampy and playing like she is ten years younger.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm, hubby takes amplopidine, and we don't worry if he misses a pill. It happens and he's always been fine. Have you googled it to see what it says?

As for the anal glands, yeah I bet she feels better now. They're nasty things to say the least. Hopefully they don't impact again. Are her stools firm? Normally passing firm stools expresses them naturally.
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:12 PM

I did Google around and a couple of vet-info websites said you can't miss a dose lest the BP spike (and that's what scares me). Yet others don't say this kind of thing, they only say that if you miss a dose, do not double-up at the next scheduled dosage time. But I'll talk to my vet.

Molly's stools have never been that firm - better but not perfect on the IBD food. I guess that's why her anal glands were packed. I'll make sure they're checked regularly from now on. One of my friends has a dog and a cat that need regular tush-work of this kind.
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

One of my past dogs had the opposite problem with her tush. Anal glads were too loose and they released all the time, everywhere. We had to have them surgically removed for health reasons (ours!). I'll take the cleaning them every couple months problem any time!