Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Need serious help with housebreaking an 8 week old Golden retriever/black lab mix

I just got Valentine two days ago, and i need serious help and advice as how to housebreak her. Weve had soooo many dogs and it was never successful with housebreaking them so we've gotten rid of them. Im tired of getting a precious dog and then getting rid of them. I want Valentine to work out. SHe is such a sweet 8 week old puppy. I want to have a successful relationship with her and hope to get her housetrained ASAP.. CAn someone please give me tips as to housetrain her please....
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie00
I just got Valentine two days ago, and i need serious help and advice as how to housebreak her. Weve had soooo many dogs and it was never successful with housebreaking them so we've gotten rid of them. Im tired of getting a precious dog and then getting rid of them. I want Valentine to work out. SHe is such a sweet 8 week old puppy. I want to have a successful relationship with her and hope to get her housetrained ASAP.. CAn someone please give me tips as to housetrain her please....

First, I REALLY hope you stick around here, and let us help you with this pup. That said, the fact that you have "gotten rid" of "sooooo many" dogs because you couldn't housebreak them DEEPLY concerns me, and I'm sure, will concern many other members here.

Why did you get this dog? To be honest, if your sick of getting "precious dogs" and "getting rid of them", why did you get another? a dog may not be the right pet for you.

Please understand that an 8 wk old pup will NOT be housebroken ANYTIME soon. It takes boatloads of patience, carpet cleaner, and TIME. Puppies need routine, need to be taken out OFTEN, after eating, drinking, playing, and sleeping - they are babies. What aspect of housebreaking are you having trouble with?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I am very happy you found this forum for help though!
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
-

I hope you realize that not having a housetrained dog is never their fault. It is usually the persons fault with either not being consistant, giving too much freedom, etc.

I have some articles that may be of some help to you in this subject.
Check under the articles tab at www.dogsdenlearningcentre.com

It really makes me sad to hear that you have given up dogs for this issue instead of working through it. What happens this time if you don't succeed. Have you taken any of your previous dogs to class.

Some basic tools you will need are a crate, enzyme cleaner, and a feeding schedule.

What did you try with the others, how long did you give them before you gave up and got rid of them, why didn't you have success in your mind.

Last edited by StaceyB; February 15th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
First, I REALLY hope you stick around here, and let us help you with this pup. That said, the fact that you have "gotten rid" of "sooooo many" dogs because you couldn't housebreak them DEEPLY concerns me, and I'm sure, will concern many other members here.

Why did you get this dog? To be honest, if your sick of getting "precious dogs" and "getting rid of them", why did you get another? a dog may not be the right pet for you.

Please understand that an 8 wk old pup will NOT be housebroken ANYTIME soon. It takes boatloads of patience, carpet cleaner, and TIME. Puppies need routine, need to be taken out OFTEN, after eating, drinking, playing, and sleeping - they are babies. What aspect of housebreaking are you having trouble with?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I am very happy you found this forum for help though!

I completely understand what your saying. And yes it is our fault the dogs werent housebroke. But alot of it is this. My hubby wouldnt help me with the dogs. I have three kids, ages 6, 4 and my baby boy is getting ready to turn 1 the 26th. So ive got alot of time on my hand already. But we truely deeply want a dog, its just we havent had any good luck with the dogs. We also too just had a house built and we have new carpet and stuff, and i'll admitt, we got tired of the dogs peeing and poopin on the carpets, so we just said pooey and got rid of them. I know that was horrible, but yes we just gave up on them. I truely deeply want this one to work. I feel bad for getting rid of the other dogs, what i mean by rid, is i meant we gave them away to someone who could take better care of them. and have the patience to deal with them. If i didnt want this to work i wouldnt of came here and ask for it. I want this time to work. I just need alot of help. We cant afford any dog classes or anything, we are on a tight budget, so i was hoping you guys could help me with tips and ideas. I really like this puppy and want it to work out. I just need help. I understand that this puppy wont be broke anytime soon now. But im gonna try my darndest to be succesfful at getting her housetrained ASAP...
The problems we were having with the dogs is. wed take them out and make them stay out to use the bathroom and they would go outside but soon as we brought them back in a few mins later they would go in the house as well. I dont understand. I just took them out. they would pee and poop and soon as we bring them in they would go again. If i can just get my dh to help me and stay on a routine this can be successful but i cant do it by myself i need help.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

So...you don't know how to housetrain a puppy, can't be bothered to learn, keep getting puppies then dump them when they don't housetrain themselves?? This is one of the most outrageous and heartless things I've ever heard.

The failure is yours, and innocent animals should not be aquired then dumped because of your inability to master this basic training. This is part of owning a puppy and if you have no intention of housebreaking it, then a puppy is not the pet for you.

Please read this link
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/housebreaking.html

Quote:
I have three kids, ages 6, 4 and my baby boy is getting ready to turn 1 the 26th.
Why on earth did you get another puppy? That is the last thing you need.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I know i failed. And im sorry. Im just asking that you not be so hard on me. I really want this to work. I came on here to get help not to get criticized. Everyone makes mistakes and ive made alot with these dogs. I feel terrible about it too. All im asking is for you all to help me. Thats all im asking.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:23 AM
-

Please don't think we are attacking you and we will help with your questions but we are all going to have our own questions and comments to you. Many people here work with rescues and hate to hear stories like this.
How many dogs have you had and I noticed in your introduction that it said that you had another dog, is this one housebroken?
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
-

Please read the articles that have been posted for you, they will be helpful. Also, there are many, many threads here on this subject that will also help you out.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

please know are here to help, but you need to do the work. there's no EASY BUTTON for housebreaking.

Read the links the other posters provided. READ THEM WELL. get books on the subject. See if there are any affordable puppy classes in your area - maybe a community center? or local pet supply shop? ask you vet for a reference... simply make sacrifices to afford just one class. it's worth every penny.

also, think long and hard about the effect this has on your children. Do you really want to teach them that animals are disposable? Life is full of challenges, you must know this if you have 3 young children... conquer those challenges AS A FAMILY. everyone must pitch in and help out.

getting rid of dogs because you can't housebreak them is very upsetting, and will likey cause some negative reaction here - just as you ask us to be understanding of you, you need to understand this forum is full of people devoted to animals.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

With 3 children of those ages, just how are you going to have time to housetrain a puppy? This involves taking it out every two hours, after eating and after napping. You must stay outside with it until it goes. There are no shortcuts.

Puppies also need attention, and not only housetraining, but general training . This takes time and dedication.

How will do this with a 1 year old baby?

Instead of continuing to get puppies and dumping them, why don't you find this one a new home, and stop getting more until your kids are all in school? You're being really unfair by what you are doing.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
Please don't think we are attacking you and we will help with your questions but we are all going to have our own questions and comments to you. Many people here work with rescues and hate to hear stories like this.
How many dogs have you had and I noticed in your introduction that it said that you had another dog, is this one housebroken?

No, shes an outside dog. When we first got her as a puppy, i think the owners kept her outside, but we tried to keep her inside, and she whine and whine wanting out, when we let her out, we could not get her to come back in. She would be at the door whining wanting out. So we decided to keep her outside. Yes she was housebroken though. Although, she had accidents, but it wasnt on purpose. When she gets scared or nervous she pees everywhere. She never went in the house on purpose. I honestly think she has a bladder problem. She is a very very good dog. Shes a good watch dog. She barks at everything that moves. She loves it outside. We tried to bring her in this winter and she would not let us keep her in. So we let her back out.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
With 3 children of those ages, just how are you going to have time to housetrain a puppy? This involves taking it out every two hours, after eating and after napping. You must stay outside with it until it goes. There are no shortcuts.

Puppies also need attention, and not only housetraining, but general training . This takes time and dedication.

How will do this with a 1 year old baby?

Instead of continuing to get puppies and dumping them, why don't you find this one a new home, and stop getting more until your kids are all in school? You're being really unfair by what you are doing.
My two older children are in school. Its just me and my baby home. Im a stay at home mom. I have the time. Time is no problem. I take the puppy out every hour. The problem im having with the puppy is this, when i take her out, she will go out there and just sit or lay down, I cannot get her to get up and go potty. Ive even tried putting her on a leash and walking her, and she will not walk. Shed rather me drag her then to walk. So i dont use the leash.. I stay outside for a half hour at a time and she still wont go. What else should i do to get her to go. I try to get her to walk with me, but she wont. she will just sit or lay down.
Im sorry that you are attacking me like you are, and i get the impression you dont like me, but im very sorry you feel that way. I am GOING TO MAKE THIS WORK, no matter what YOU might think. I can do this, i know i can. I just need hubby to help me with this. He wants it to work as well. We CAN DO THIS!!!! Despite what you might think. Im done with getting puppies and dumping them!! Im not getting rid of Valentine. She is going to be successfull, and ill prove it to you.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM
-

I am really curious to know how much time you have given these other puppies before you gave them up and how many you have had. Believe it or not the answer will help us to help you.
Your puppy will not be fully housebroken until after adolescence.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I am really curious to know how much time you have given these other puppies before you gave them up and how many you have had. Believe it or not the answer will help us to help you.
Your puppy will not be fully housebroken until after adolescence.

1-2 years.
weve had bout 4 dogs
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if you are thinking of crate training, but if you are, this is what I did... took pup out, on leash, to the SAME spot each time. if pup goes, praise her like she just won the olympics! if not... take pup inside, place gently in crate for 10-20 minutes, then try again. NOTE: the crate is never used as punishment - consider it the dogs "special place" - their "room" - their "den".

you must read up on crate training if you choose to go that route.

and yes, please prove to Lucky and to the rest of us that you can do it.

as for the other dog that lives outside.... whole 'nother can of worms there.... one problem at a time, but if you suspect a bladder problem, please consult a VET, sooner than later.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
-

Some more questions,

How much freedom does this puppy have in the house?
What is the puppy's schedule like, sleep, play, exercise, feeding, etc.
What kind of food are you using?
Are you using a crate?
What do you use to clean up the messes(both)?

Raising a puppy is very similar to raising children.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The problem im having with the puppy is this, when i take her out, she will go out there and just sit or lay down, I cannot get her to get up and go potty. Ive even tried putting her on a leash and walking her, and she will not walk. Shed rather me drag her then to walk. So i dont use the leash..
You need to leash train her now. When you start something and it doesn't work that very second, you cannot just give up on a 9 week old puppy. Training is a process, and you must be patient and persistant.

How long do you wait outside for her to go? If she doesn't go in 5 or 10 minutes, take her back inside. You can put her in a puppy pen, then try again after a short while. You must keep doing this, so you can praise her when she does go outside. It's a lot of work, but this is the only way she can learn.

This is a little baby, just like your human baby and I"m sure you don't expect him/her to behave like an adult at 1 year old or just give up when the baby didn't learn something immediately? It's the same for a puppy.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Please don't say things like "got rid of" about dogs. A lot of people here get dogs from shelters and rescues and it hurts enough that they were discarded for such trivial reasons without hearing first hand how careless the previous owners can really be.

And if it doesn't work out, and you still want another dog, please adopt an adult. Chances are it will already be housetrained and you might have more of a chance with it than hoping a 2 month old clueless puppy will be able to train itself. I mean this little guy has only been alive for 2 months. Do you understand how short a time that is?
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Jeannie00 - I too have had lousy luck house breaking pups - that is why my last few dogs have been older rescues. You made some mistakes, which you regret, now it is time to move on.

First off, get a crate and bring that pup back in the house. Every time your pup wakes up and half an hour after every meal, take him out. Take a toy or something so that if he sits down, you have something to get him moving again. When he goes potty - praise him like he just won the Lotto! If he doesn't go, put him in his crate when you get in, wait 20 minutes or so and take him out again. If you have him out of his crate (after he has gone outside) watch for sniffing and walking funny. Dogs walk a bit different when they have to poo and you will find that once you start watching for it you will be able to see the subtle difference.

Anytime you can not keep an eye on him - in his crate he goes.

If he has an accident, correcting him will not help unless you catch him in the act. If you catch him in the act, snatch him up off the floor and haul him outside!

Enjoy!
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I'm definitely not an expert with dogs but I have had three dogs in my lifetime, the current being a pure black lab. She's 1 years old now and she's just adorable!

I share the same discomfort with the others on the board at the fact that you commit yourself to raising a dog but then, when training doesn't go as well as you'd hoped, you give the dog up. I've had Chloe now for a year and I can't imagine giving her up even during times when she's been a handful and a half!

That being said, I think you've got your hands full with a lab... especially a puppy! My advice to you..

1) Definitely consider crate training your puppy. I was never a big believer in crate training puppies but I did with Chloe and it has been the best decision ever. Be mindful however, the crate should not be used for punishment or else, it'll all backfire on you. Read up on some of the articles people have sent you and available on the forum. It will definitely help.

2) "ASAP" does not exist when dealing with the training and development of a puppy. Like children, puppies (especially lab puppies) require patience, love and attention. To make things more complex, it requires the right balance depending on the puppy. I got Chloe at 8 weeks and i wouldn't say she was "fully" trained until about 4 months. Even still, that required both my husband and I to follow a strict schedule of taking her out and not forcing her to hold it. Always remember they can hold it for "AGE (month) + 1"

3) Monitor her water intake - take notice, "monitor - not limit". Having access to water when thirsty is important!

That's my two cents.. i wish you all the best! Labs can really be a bundle of joy!
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Some more questions,

How much freedom does this puppy have in the house?
What is the puppy's schedule like, sleep, play, exercise, feeding, etc.
What kind of food are you using?
Are you using a crate?
What do you use to clean up the messes(both)?

Raising a puppy is very similar to raising children.

We got her monday evening. So weve only had her a couple days. This is what i been doing. i dont know if its the right or wrong way. The first night i got her, when we got home, i first bathed her. Then i fed and watered her and waited a bit then took her outside. Then after she did her business we brought her back in and put her in her box (crate, i call it her box) Then again round 9-10 we took her back out she did her thing and put her in her box for the night. Bout 4:30 in the morning she whined wanting out. i didnt know if she had to potty but i took her out, and could not get her to use the bathroom i was out there for 45 mins waiting on her to go, i walked her around the house and everthing could not get her to go. So i brought her back in and put her in her box.
Hubby got up at 7:30 for work and he said she peed and pooped. I was like that little brat. I couldnt get her to go. He brought her back in and put her in her box. I get up every morning at 10:30 to get my daughter ready for school, i get her outta her box and take her out to potty, cannot get her to go. so i bring her back in, put her in her box with her food and water, then wait a bout half hour or so then let her back out. I cannot get her to go whatsoever. But its funny, when hubby takes her out she goes for him. Why is that???? Then of course i let her out again for lunch to potty then bring her back in and let her eat her lunch and run round while were eating and then when were done i take her back out then bring her in and put her in her box till dinner time or till she whines wanting out. Am i doing the wrong or right thing here. This is what i been doing the past couple days since ive had her. What am i doing wrong, and what am i doing right. The thing is this, I cannot get her to go potty.. when i take her out, she will follow me for a few steps then flop down and just sit there, i have to walk over there and push her with my foot to get her to get up, then she will take a few steps and flop back down. She will not go potty. I stay out there 30-45 mins each time to get her to go and she still will not go. What is wrong????
So far, she hasnt had any accidents in the house since weve had her (knock on wood). But i know its gonna happen though
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
You need to leash train her now. When you start something and it doesn't work that very second, you cannot just give up on a 9 week old puppy. Training is a process, and you must be patient and persistant.

How long do you wait outside for her to go? If she doesn't go in 5 or 10 minutes, take her back inside. You can put her in a puppy pen, then try again after a short while. You must keep doing this, so you can praise her when she does go outside. It's a lot of work, but this is the only way she can learn.

This is a little baby, just like your human baby and I"m sure you don't expect him/her to behave like an adult at 1 year old or just give up when the baby didn't learn something immediately? It's the same for a puppy.

How do i get her to walk on a leash. Ive tried and she will flop down and wont move. I tug on the leash and she still wont get up. I pull on it and she just drags. I cannot get her to walk. what do i do to get her to walk??? This stuff is all new to me. I want this to work I really do, im gonna make it work i just need you alls help. Im gonna prove to you that i can do this.

I wait outside with her for 30-45 mins everytime i take her out, and i cannot get her to go. Is this too long to wait on her to potty??? How long should i be outside and wait for her to go, and if she doesnt go within that length of time, what should i do next.???? When i take her out, i keep encouraging and telling her to "Go potty" i keep telling her that over and over and she jus sits there looking at me, and will come up and sit on my feet and lay down or she will climb up my leg and wrap her paws around me and just stand there. What do i do.????
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM
-

Have you read the articles that have been supplied to you. They will answer most of your questions as to what you are doing right and wrong. If you still have questions then feel free to ask.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

First, Lucky WROTE if she doesn't go in 5-10 min, go back inside, and try again after a short while. 30-45 min outside is too long.

walking on leash shouldn't be this hard... talk to her in a happy upbeat tone - coax her to get up and walk! praise her - lots of "GOOD GIRL!!!"'s when she does. use your voice and body language to communicate - don't tug on her. get down to her level and say her name in a really happy & excited manner. you can do it.

How many hours a day is the pup crated?

also, at night - if she has to go out, then she has to go out. no way around it, but be sure to make it very "business like" - no playing at that hour. it's out to pee and back to bed.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM

he seems to be spending an awful lot of time in the 'box'. Correct me if Im wrong but your post maks it seem like all night and all day she is in a box.

As for leash training, keep the leash on her when she is in the house, let her run around and get used to being on a leash. You can get a longer leash and attach it to you so you can keep an eye on her when she needs to go to the bathroom. Also praise like crazy if she even takes one step while being on the leash.

It would also be shocking for a pup as young as her to hold it from 9-10pm to 7:30am. That, at the very least, is 9.5 hours.

If I think of anything else I will let you know
Sarah
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I also don't think it's a good idea to put the food & water in her crate with her. Maybe I'm wrong about this, and please someone tell me if you don't agree, but I always thought that was a big no-no. If she has constant access to food and water, you won't be able to monitor the situation.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
I also don't think it's a good idea to put the food & water in her crate with her. Maybe I'm wrong about this, and please someone tell me if you don't agree, but I always thought that was a big no-no. If she has constant access to food and water, you won't be able to monitor the situation.
actually it's important to have water available, but there are ways to do this and still monitor it. I have a water-bottle for my dog - which I've been using since he was small. He can lick it - get water - but won't over do it. also, it won't spill in the crate. as for food, YES! the crate is their "den" so to say... I always allow food, treats, toys in the crate - it keeps the crate a positive place.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I never feed my dog in his crate UNLESS there is another dog in the house. My pup is fed twice a day, but an 8 week old should eat 3 times a day. Since your pup is not house broken, I would suggest picking up all food and water a couple of hours before bedtime. It certainly will not harm your puppy to go all night without water!
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM

O.k, Im getting very confused as to the crate thing. I was told by a few people that the pup needs to stay in her box unless she is out to eat or going potty. Is this true. If not correct me o.k. I want to do whats right with her. I dont wanna keep her in her box all the time if its not the right thing to do. When should she be in her box and for how long at a time. Im sorry to ask all these stupid questions but this is like its all new to me. You said to ask questions and thats what im doing. How long is she allowed or supposed to be allowed outta the box in the house and for what reasons???
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Does anyone find it bizarre that a tiny puppy can be outside for 45 minutes and not at least pee?

My 6 year old dog will pee several times when I'm out in the yard with her for way less time....