Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Dog won't sleep in!

So my dog loves to crash at about 9:30 at night and get a good start on the day at about 5:30 in the morning - every single day! I tried to ignore her one morning and awoke a while later to find that she had used the basement as her bathroom... I dont know if this will do anything but I have now started to get up when she wakes me but instead of letting her out and then feeding her; i get her leash - hook it to her and then I go back to sleep! Yes - I can go back to sleep that easily. I have only done this for a couple of days but this am, the alarm went off before she woke me (6:00am). Is what I am doing going to teach her to not get up until I do? I need help!
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure how putting her collar on her is teaching her to sleep in, but I also have an early riser. If my girl wakes me in the middle of the night, or very early (we normally get up at 5:30 so sometimes on weekends she gets up early) on weekends, I simply go and put her outside for a pee and then when she's back in the house tell her to go back to bed. No rewards, no praise for going outside, just do your duty and go back to bed. She accepts that as the way it is. Once she's done her business she's quite content to go back to sleep until it's really time to get up. I really don't recommend ignoring a dog that's giving you notice they want to go out.
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Half Way To Crazy

may I ask how old your dog is??

maybe try and take your dog out later at night for his/her last pee just before you go to bed, it may help lengthen the time in the mornings

but ignoring him/her when she/he tells you she/he needs to go out is asking for problems
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM

One of my best friends has a 4yr old lab that is also an early riser. It doesn't matter what time he has gone out at night, he is pretty much always up early in the morning. She gets up and walks him (they have to go a few blocks) and then usually can go back to sleep. My dogs are the opposite-being Ridgebacks, they will stay in bed all day long if I let them-they love when I am sick or working on papers LOL.

I agree that ignoring her when she asks to go out is asking for problems.
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Might I ask what time you normally go to bed? If your still awake at 9:30 perhaps you could do something at this time to keep your dog awake until your ready for bed. Maybe a late evening walk?

Our dogs have their own beds in our bedroom. They sleep on the floor and when it's time for bed, we close our door so they don't have free roam around the house.

While my hubby is an early riser, our dogs never flinch when he gets up. I on the other hand, sleep in on weekends till 10-10:30 and it is at this time, they rise and look forward to the days events.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:59 AM

It doesnt matter how late I let her out or keep her up - she is an early riser. I guess the best thing to do based on the feedback here is to get up with her and let her out - then go back to bed.
Thanks for the replies.
BTW - Lucy is a 1.5 year old Black Lab.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our dogs were all early risers...till they hit the age of about 3 or so. Then suddenly they start letting us get up first so as to have their breakfast ready for them when they finally decide it's time to start the day. So don't despair--she'll likely get better as she gets older and learns the joys of sleeping in late...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I have the same "problem" lol. Nanook (14 months) is my alarm clock. I seriously don't need one. He will wake me up between 6-6:30 every morning, regardless of what we do, and he will not go back to sleep until at least 11 am, then he will nap (on my days off, otherwise, he's at daycare). Hubby and I have tried everything we can think of, nothing works. Hubby is up until at least midnight and will take both out for a pee before he comes to bed, but Nanook still gets up around the same time every morning. We decided it's just something we will have to live with until, as Hazel said, he matures a bit and decides sleeping in is a good thing

klm, we do the same thing! Both Thorin and Nookie sleep in our room (even though Thorin has his own bedroom lol). When hubby comes up for the night, he shuts the door. It's partially so they don't have free roam, but mainly because we have a pretty long staircase with 2 landings. Nookie loves to sleep on the top landing overlooking the main floor. I'm so paranoid and worried he may have a seizure and fall down the stairs. I'm neurotic when it comes to him lol

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Sasha 6 yr old Choc Lab.. got into the HABIT of getting up at 3am or so when she was around 3 yr old. I say habit because that is what it ended up being. I let her out probably every night for 2 weeks then I thought, no more of this she is old enough to sleep through the night and darn it she is going to. We started closing the bedroom door and telling her to go back to bed, she would whine for a couple of minutes and if we ignored her she would go back to bed. It took a few nights to break her of the habit and she now sleeps through the night. There are the odd times that she has asked to go out and I will get up with her and let her out but I won't let her get into that habit again, maybe. I mean, she rules the house so you never know....

So driver, I guess you will have to decide if you are going to get up with Lucy or not. If she really needs to go out or is just awake and thinks it would be a good idea to check out the morning air.

patti
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Max

Confused

Hi, I am a first time dog owner. My puppy is 13 weeks old and is responding well to the training outdoors. He has had no accidents for #2 in the house but from time to time will have an accident on the floors. Expected. He will go out at 10PM for his last duty for the day before bed and he is up everymorning at 5:00 AM to start his day. I take him out so he can releave himself and put him back in his crate so I can go back to bed for another hour or two before my day starts, but he will continue to bark until I get up. What should I do, start my day when he is ready or ignore his bark as he has been releaved and he will eventually catch on. Also when I have left him in his crate for around 4hrs so I can do errands, I come back to find he has urinated. I have made sure to take him out before I leave. I have read that dogs can be scared to be alone, I cover his cage at night for bed, should I do the same during the day when I am not there so he feels safe?
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T. View Post
Hi, I am a first time dog owner. My puppy is 13 weeks old and is responding well to the training outdoors. He has had no accidents for #2 in the house but from time to time will have an accident on the floors. Expected. He will go out at 10PM for his last duty for the day before bed and he is up everymorning at 5:00 AM to start his day. I take him out so he can releave himself and put him back in his crate so I can go back to bed for another hour or two before my day starts, but he will continue to bark until I get up. What should I do, start my day when he is ready or ignore his bark as he has been releaved and he will eventually catch on. Also when I have left him in his crate for around 4hrs so I can do errands, I come back to find he has urinated. I have made sure to take him out before I leave. I have read that dogs can be scared to be alone, I cover his cage at night for bed, should I do the same during the day when I am not there so he feels safe?
Max, any updates on this? I've got a 12.5 week old puppy and she's doing the same thing. We take her out for the last time around 10:00/10:30, put her in the crate and she tends to sleep until about 4:30AM. After taking her out and putting her back in her crate she barks like crazy - guess she figures she's ready to get up so everyone else must do so too. We've been ignoring the behaviour and the last couple of days have been a bit better, so hopefully it's the light at the end of the tunnel and she's on the road to learning to settle down.
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM

I think you are both doing the correct thing. Of course anticipating bathroom breaks is difficulty and you sometimes may feel rushed to get the puppy out of the house quickly... if you can help it do not remove the dog from the crate when the dog is barking. Wait patiently by the crate, until the dog eventually tires from barking. When you see the puppy visibly relax, you can open the door and "INVITE" the puppy out. The puppy may have already learned that he can control you by barking. Nip this behaviour in the bud. You be the leader and make the decisions. Take your dog out for pee breaks as often as possible until they get the routine. There will be 'accidents' when training a puppy. Don't dwell on it, just move on. If you are patient (not frustrated or angry) and fair you will get them on the right routine.