Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM

leash correction

This is maybe a dumb question but oh well I'm asking it anyway What is a leash correction? I've seen it in quite a few posts and I'm unsure what it is. I haven't got my GSD into obediance school yet.
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Any correction can vary dramatically from a tap on the shoulder to a punch in the arm. Both might be thought of as attention getters, startles or corrections, but they vary greatly in their intensity and consequence to the recipient.

To us a leash correction is a 'snap' of the leash which creates a 'pop' on the collar. You can simply give a flick of your wrist that is felt on the other end of the leash by the dog. Rather like me tapping you on the shoulder or giving a quick tug on your shirt sleeve. But the key is to do as little a possible. Just enough to get the dogs attention. Not so much that you frighten the dog and not so little that he blows you off. You need to know the sensitivity of your dog. In many cases a leash correction is way too much and simply a verbal correction is all that you need.

Also the type of collar that you use makes a big difference. Flat/wide? Choke? Prong? Halter? Each will give their own additional twist to the correction. We just use a flat/wide collar which we believe is the most gentle. Anything narrow (chain) can damage the trachea. Halters are now being linked to neck pain. Many times it comes down to the skill and experience of the handler.

We don't want our dogs to behave out of fear of receiving pain, but a tap on the shoulder, so to speak, gets their attention without that.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Tenderfoot. I thought that's what it was but wanted to be sure.
Lizzards (belong to our daughter) Diablo, 1 year old bearded dragon and Zeus, 2 year old bearded dragon.