Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Unhappy The fast dangers of Parvo

I simply joined this site today because i needed to take the time and tell the fast story of my american bulldog puppy Jersey,
Me and my finace wanted a dog for the past 2 years but wasnt ready for that type of commiment, Our jobs were so busy and we wanted to make sure things at work slow down so we can give the new addition to our family the love he deserved.
I was on kijiji on afternoon and came across someone selling there american bullldog puppy, I seen the picture and new right there i had to have him.
I called my fiance and the next day we went over to look at Jersey.
The guy selling him had no papers to show he had any shots or was a purebread.
I personaly did not care if he was purebread or not, This dog was everything i wanted to find. I did however wanted to make sure he had his needles.
The guy we bought him off of said he will get in touch with us when he gets a hold of the people he bought him from. ( that never happened)
With only having jersey for a few days we bought pet insurance and took him to a vet asap. To make sure our pup was healthy and up to date on shots just incase the preivious owner was not being honet, The vet gave him new shots and deworming , and checked our puppy out and said he was perfect.
I was so happy , we went out and took him to his puppy scoialization classes and obedience training. He loved it! everyone there loved him, he was the type of dog you met and he stole your heart right away. A few days later we noticed he was acting funny, sleepin gmore often then playing and not eating, i called the vet right away and he said he should be fine, if theres any blood in his poop to take him over right away, That never happend, we did however find out he had worms. So thinking it was the worms that was makin him feel under the weather we took our time with him and just let him have his rest to feel better, within 24 hours he was now shivering ,vomiting, bad diareaha, and not eating or drinking, we called the vet twice that day and he said as long as there was no blood in the diareaha that he should be ok he was probley juts feeling under the weather. The next morning i woke up to blood everywhere around my apartment, Poor Jersey was laying down next to me just lifeless, It broke my heart I called a vet and said il be over within the hour. Me any my fiance took him over right away, and he came back testing positive for Parvo. He was so lifeless, They said there was a surgrey that they could do but within 48 hours the bill could be 5000.00 + and that the chances of him living threw it were slim, He was suffering. we called our pet insurance and they said we went covered because our 21 day waiting period when we first got him was not up. Durning the stay at the vet jersey once again got sick over a dozen times. We got him put down. He was so sweet and perfect to see a puppy like that go threw pain over and over was to much, he never deserved that. Withing 48 hours Parvo has taken the life of our baby Jersey. After over 1000.00 later, we couldnt save his presious little life.
I went back home and cried holding on to his toys. His life was to young and in such a short time he brought so much happiness to the people that loved him. Its crazy how long it takes for a dog to affect your heart like that.
Sorry if this thread was graffic at times. I just wanted to tell my story on how Fast parvo works, and if your dog is showing any signs to take him to a vet right away! every hour counts.
As for me, I would do anything to be able to wake up to his cute little face one more time. Hopefully il be able to catch the eye of another dog the same way he cought my eye.
My all your pets godbless.
Mommy and daddy miss you Jersey baby , tell Jonah to take good care of you up there.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I also have an AB, they are so sweet. This is not meant to berate you but never buy a dog from a pet store or an ad on craigslist or kijiji, a backyard breeder (byb)or puppymill. These dogs are never vetted and if you stay here which we would really like, you will learn a lot here. We are very pro neuter/spay and a huge group of people here work in rescue. Hopefully this will prepare you for your next dog to be a great experience. I can only imagine how upset you are and I do feel for you. Please hang around we would love to have you here
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

the same thing happened to us and a beagle pup, back then (21 yrs or so) I knew nothing about back yard breeders which is where we got her. she too woke up one morning sick, vomiting, runs, blood everywhere, I had 3 and 4 yr old children at the time. we took her to the vets, they diagnosed parvo and gave us the options of treatment or put to sleep, with small kids you can't make the choice hastily. in our case though, treatment worked, it was touch and go for awhile and the first night they had their sitter with her at all times and every hour on the hour she was fed broth, had her iv changed with meds and fluids, our outcome was better, she was with us for another 14 1/2 yrs.
RIP little bulldog.
thanks for sharing your story
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Parvo is terrible and puppies can succome to this virus very quickly. There are breeds that are suseptible such as chocolate labs and rottweilers.

Please speak to your vet about disinfecting your home properly. The virus will remain alive for a few months. Please ensure that your area (inside and outside) is cleaned so that no other dog can get this deadly virus.

Also ask the vet how long you should NOT introduce another dog in your environment. I have heard that it is up to 6 months.

Again - my sincere condolences.

RIP little wonder.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious baby

My husband and I are dealing with the same thing as well. We purchased a puppy from Kijiji. We knew something was wrong with him because he was dirty and laying in front of a little puddle of dried bile in the pic (who posts pictures like that?!). A couple had bought him from a breeder and said they couldn't keep him because he had blue eyes, so they needed to find him a new home. He was only 7.5 weeks when we got him and we were his third home! We weren't looking for another dog, but hubby and I just fell in love with his dirty little face and wanted to take care of him. What we didn't realize was just how sick he was. I won't get into here, but we have spent just under $20,000 now (no insurance ). We found out that the vet we were taking him to was actually the backyard breeders vet as well. She knew about all his problems. I had talked to her on the phone a few times. I met her in person at the vet's one day and she had no concern for him at all. All she said when she saw him was "wow... he's small"
I wanted to smack her and say "Gee... I wonder why? Maybe you should stop breeding!"
If you buy a pet from a want ad or a puppy store, expect this to happen. They have no concern for the animal whatsoever. I wish I had joined this site before getting him. I wasn't educated about byb's or puppy mills etc. Though to be honest, even if we did know, we probably would have taken him anyway. He needed love

I really hope you stick around. The people here are absolutely wonderful, full of knowledge and support. Thanks to the guidance hubby and I have gotten, I have been able to make it through all of this. He's still a sick boy, but he has made it almost a year now

little Jersey

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM

I am so sorry for your loss..
sweet pup
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM

sweet Jersey He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying