Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Question Where did you get your pets

How did your four-legged friends come into your life?

Family or friends, stray ... shelter: pound, SPCA, Humane Society,
a local rescue ... breeder?
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Snowball: Kingston HS
Puddles: BYB now I know better.
Jasper: Cornwall SPCA (SD&G)
Sweet Pea: Gananoque HS
Rose: Cpietra rescue.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Vlad - from a vet clinic near my dad's home, where they had kittens dropped off
Oksana - from my own vet clinic where they also often have kittens dropped off
Maks & Kiska - from same clinic Vlad came from
Czari - she lived in my apartment complex for about 3 years, before I brought her indoors
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Rocky,born on a farm,given to me by the farm-owners sister,an employee at Ren's Petdepot 14yrs ago.

Chico,a Pet-Shop"rescue"could not help myself,he was all alone in a cage,the last of a litter,because he is black
I went home,but had to go back and get him,still hearing his pityful cries as had I left.

Vinnie,friends of mine found him in an industrial area in Oakville,he surely would not have survived on his own,a tiny little white angel.
I did not want another cat,but I held him and that was it..
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Clark was a rehome with the help of our great members here
But Bud and Boo were Mastiff rescues and I will be doing that again but unfortunately Clark is not so keen on the idea. But working on it. I have only bought one dog from a breeder
Remember rescues and shelters are overflowing adopt your pet save a life
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Chico,a Pet-Shop"rescue"could not help myself,he was all alone in a cage,the last of a litter,because he is black
I went home,but had to go back and get him,still hearing his pityful cries as had I left.
Aww, Chico. The same thing happened with Vlad. He was the last of his litter. Nobody wanted him either because he was black. It's one of the reasons why when I saw Oksana with her siblings, who were tuxedo's I wanted her.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

brina from a byb who was taking the litter of 8 black pups to the pound the next day. we found homes for all
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM
-

Skippy - Ontario Basset Rescue

Rebel - OSPCA York Region

Jack - Stray to OSPCA then adopted by us.

Cocoa - Ad in local newspaper

Kale - OSPCA York Region

Herbie - Giveaway

6 Birds - OSPCA York Region

(Note: never have a Daughter that works at an SPCA)
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Chase - from a BYB before I knew better...I knew about petstores and puppymills but honestly believed that the farmer's dog got pregnant by accident. Since then the same woman has posted pups on kijiji at least twice.

Kailey - from German Shepherd Rescue Toronto and the first of many future foster failures!

Rupert - a stray that was rescued by my fiance's aunt, aka Toonces. Of course tonnes of people wanted to adopt his babies and his cute girlfriend, but no one wanted the all-black daddy cat. Toonces loved him to bits but after her male kitty took a chunk out of Rupert's ear that just wasn't gonna work out!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

All my dogs came from good breeders, except one that was from a Pet Store. I knew better but got sucked in by that cute doggy in the window, definately has health issues. Never again. I am very anxious to rescue one in the future. I want to help the homeless dogs now.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

There is a long story behind how I got Rusty - it involves a byb'er who really thought she was doing a good thing, a job with 14 hour days and a complete and total lack of coat. He came to live with me, his mom was spayed and rehomed and dad was neutered and stayed with the breeder.

Stark is my very first dog from an ethical breeder.

When I was 19, I got a husky from a petshop. He had major issues - health wise and behaviourally. At 24, I got a collie puppy from a friend who was given her pregnant mother. Every other dog since then has been from a shelter or a rescue.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Sugar & Spice - under a townhouse deck when I was young

Buddy - walking down Deerfoot Trail with half a leash on him

Jaeger - boyfriend found her in a 7-11 parking lot with her eyes barely open

Mooki - Calgary SPCA (NEVER again)

Messina & Seth - rescue shelter

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
HonestIncomeOnline

I got my goldendoodle at a farm in Quebec. I was looking on kijiji to find one..
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Sasha- Beaten,starved,burn scars, wandered into our garage sale. Found the owner who couldn't keep her (her neighbour "dogsat" by beating her and dumping her 3 towns away), so we kept her. She was about 2, passed away at around 10 with arthritic hips. Truly a gentle soul (Great Dane/Lab mix). I miss her.

Pepper- SPCA. I have no idea what she is! Possibly some mix of Tibetan Terrier?

Sonti- Given to my sister by her BYB coworker to raise, but who "forgot" about him years later (she was supposed to give him back for breeding). Typical BYB. He is an intact (still I haven't lived at home for 8 years) Shar Pei (def not pure)

Simba- From reputable Shiba Inu breeder (Lemaitre Kennel http://www.lemaitrekennel.com/)

???- Our next Shiba Inu will be a female companion for Simba (Simba is not intact!) and we plan to get her from a Shiba Inu rescue, now that we are experienced with the breed.
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Missie....Gift from Husband
Tyra..retired BIS BIS Champion, Wenrick Kennels
Quincy...starved down rescue failure
Annie...rescued from euthinasia and another rescue failure..

RIP Salsa giveaway cat killed on my property by a dog 1997
RIP Shayker..BYB dog 14 months old CRF 2002
RIP Charlie...giveaway cat 2002
RIP Akeija.dog .christmas gift 16 years old 2002
RIP Dallas..dog..gift from husband colon cancer 6 years old 2004

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else

Last edited by Shaykeija; February 9th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Dr. Seuss - brother brought home from a friend's

Misty - stray who wandered in, was fed, and stayed

MooBoots - Misty's son (she was massively pregnant when she showed up)

Sunshine - puppy from an accidental litter belonging to my aunt's coworker's friend.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
One dog at a time...

Just my pets from the last 15 years as this would be a VERY long post if I named all I have ever had!

Trinket - dumped by a puppy mill in 2000 when they were done with her and picked up as a stray by a "good samaritan" who immediately bred her again I found out about her through a friend of a friend. She was my foster failure. I "promised" the "good samaritan" that I would give her the puppies if Trinket was pregnant while thinking "that will be a cold day in h***" I just wanted to get her away. Unfortunately, she was pregnant when I had her spayed but I went ahead with it anyway. She had been through too much in her life to make her have more pups that would have added to the overpopulation.

Lodi and Laci - rescued from a BYB in 1998 who insisted I take them home when they were 5 1/2 weeks old

Miss Billie - adopted in 2002 from a rescue in Tennessee fka Southeast Chihuahua and Maltese Rescue nka Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue

Tessa - adopted in 2005 from a local humane society

Misty - dumped on a country road in 1994 with her mom and two siblings. A guy at work knew exactly what he was doing when he brought her to work to "show" to me

Short Stuff - showed up at my house in 1998 as a kitten and of course I had to feed her and get her spayed!

Corky - adopted from a local rescue in 1997. She went with her dad when we divorced

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!

Last edited by My Lodi Girl; February 13th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sammy - Hubby got her from the pound before I moved in.
Keesha - from a byb before we knew what byb's were. She is almost 16.
Tasha - from a pound. She and her sisters had been dumped in the country to fend for themselves.

Tehehe - Spazzy, Li'l Bit, Nipper, Miss Purrfect, Qugee, Wheezer, Tinker, Ms Atty, Skitty, Squeak, Mew, Kylee, Meowzer, Brownie, Mylee, Tinka, Dayle, Taz, Mittens, and Timmy all born on our property by feral moms who all managed to pump out a few litters before being caught and fixed.
Spare Cat, Trey, Orbit, Jupiter, Ace and Ajax all trapped, neutured on the property as well.
MiniMo was literally lifted off of our road almost two years ago. Still not sure if she was a feral or had been dumped and was in shock.
Kitty McKat - from krdahmer. Just call him Mr Attitude!!
Benni and Snoopy - from a customer who told me she was being taken to be put down if she didn't find a home for Benni. She told me about her baby Snoopy after I agreed to take Benni. Benni was pregnant again when I got her. Not for long.
Stormy - one of the original ferals who is my shadow when I am outside. No one else is allowed near.
Duece - from Frenchy and I thank her.
Greyson, Zara, Kearn and Calysta from a co worker who found them in her back yard a block from the QEW - very busy roadway. The babies are still up for adoption so technically I guess I can't call them mine.
And Smoke who I trapped a few weeks ago. He is going in to get fixed soon and then I will decide if I am putting him in the catuary or if he is being released. Right now it looks like released.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 9th, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Julia the min pin from h*ll - rescue (foster failure)
Phoenix the strangled cat - rescue (foster failure)
Blu the lilac point siamese pretty boy - shelter (intentional adoption)
Riley the Tuxedo metrosexual - no kill shelter (intentional adoption)
Farah the black persian Goddess - no kill shelter (intentional adoption)
Riza the shadded silver persian statue cat - kill shelter (foster failure)
Dooby the oriental red mix lover boy - rescue (foster failure)

Maddox my heart and soul GSD - still in rescue status foster...but I have a feeling he will be another wonderful foster failure. Remains to be seen.
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Gosh such beautiful stories.

Adopted my girl (1 year next month!!!) from our cat shelter, she had been there a year, hard to adopt (I dont get it).

As a first time pet owner, I couldn't be happier.
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM

I will just do the current ones aswell as it would be a long list to, but growing up most my dad brought home. They came from people he met who just didn't want them and with him anything goes, from rats to birds to fish.

Ok the current.

Stixx- dmh calico my dad found under a bunch of sticks in the yard, I thought she was only around 4mts but it turned out she was around 7mts. The vet I worked for was awesome and let me keep her at the clinic for 2wks free of charge until we knew no one was missing her. Reported her found but no one claimed her, that was 9 1/2 yrs ago now. Couldn't keep her at my parents house as their dog wouldn't have it. Loved cats as long as they weren't on his turf. On a walk he would lay down and let cats crawl all over him just not at home.

Forest-dsh black and white, dumped at 5weeks in a large planter infront of the clinic I use to work at in late fall. Wouldn't have even known he was there if he hadn't had such a large meow. He was a mess, I didn't think so many fleas could fit on such a tiny body. He's a heathly boy of 8 1/2 years now.

Autumn- from our bosses, we had just bought our first house and they knew how much we wanted(well I wanted) a dog and so when they adopted their pup they got one for us to.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM

From a woman who was referred to us by friends of friends and one who called herself a breeder.

It turned out to be a filthy, disgusting puppy mill where all animals (cows, etc, etc, and puppies) were kept in a filthy barn that had no electricity (no heat and no light) and that was at the end of November in Canada.... so imagine how cold it was.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Duke- Shepherd/Collie from our local pound
Jasper- Shepherd/Collie from spca
Zoey- Brown Tabby from spca
Patches- dilute Torti from a rescue
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Doggie Wench

Peanut , we inherited from my FIL when he passed away. He was the first dog I had (he was 15 at the time) as an adult.

Matty , German Shepherd X...the story we got was mother was dumped on a remote road in the country. She had a litter of puppies outdoors the next day, New Years Day.

Lucky...from an SPCA...thank you BenMax .

Penny....two months later from the same SPCA...thank you again BenMax .

Ava...originally adopted from SPCA Montreal by a member here, Canine 14. Due to tragic circumstances, we fostered then adopted Ava from her (thank you Lisa ).

Toby ...was supposed to be a temp foster awaiting transport to Ontario Rescue.

Nukka...one of many dogs flown down from James Bay to Rescue where we fostered her. It didn't take long for us to decide to keep her forever. Thank you France from up north who truly saved her .

Last edited by luckypenny; February 9th, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=luckypenny;882595]

Lucky...from an SPCA...thank you BenMax .

Penny....two months later from the same SPCA...thank you again BenMax .

QUOTE]

Hey - don't mention it.. But..how could you have said no??
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hey - don't mention it.. But..how could you have said no??
I didn't .

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I didn't .
Oh wait, I did say no . But a couple of hours, a migraine, and being closed up in a room with Lucky changed my mind .
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Chitah SPCA adult dog
Jake SPCA adult dog
Twinkie was a rescue kitten.
Zana was a rehome adult cat.
Chinook feral rescue kitten
Bodhi SPCA pup
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Sugar & Spice - under a townhouse deck when I was young

Buddy - walking down Deerfoot Trail with half a leash on him

Jaeger - boyfriend found her in a 7-11 parking lot with her eyes barely open

Mooki - Calgary SPCA (NEVER again)

Messina & Seth - rescue shelter
Hey tacogirl, I'm curious....what happened with the calgary spca?

Abbey --from a breeder
Buddy-- from a byb, (but they were very nice parents to their dogs, I have to say.)

The danes, Dutchess and Sheba, --from Breeders (the first breeder was not nearly as good as the second)

Jiggs, --from the humane society.
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I am only going to list the ones still here with us, there are neat stories with each of them now that I think of it.

Rudy - county adoption day, 6 or 7 weeks old, 1996
Delaney - animal shelter, 10 (?) weeks old, 1999
Huxley and Harley - from a friend, their cat had 7, they came to live with us at a little over 5 weeks, mama quit feeding them. In 2001
Simon - from our street, someone dropped him off - (crazy folks to let him go) estimated age 2 yrs, back in 2005
Andy, Katie, Stanley, Fergie - from our front porch, half feral mama we tried to care for had them in the outdoor cat house and we kept them all. Almost 3 yrs ago.

Simply can't imagine life without any of them.

Diane