Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw this on the news and it makes me furious. How disgusting humans are. I truly hope this motivates the government to strengthen their animal abuse laws.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Press conference at 2 today, keep your fingers crossed that they are found guilty.....
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Global Nat'l
http://iwantapounddog.blogspot.com/2...8Pound+Dogs%29
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks GG *hugs*
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Jamieson made a donation of 525 specialized dog beds and 250 packets of Jamieson Premium Adult Dog Treats. The contribution will help alleviate the suffering of more than 500 puppies and dogs http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../22/c5786.html
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
Senior Contributor

From Pet Valu......We are committed to partnering with the Humane Society International to give the rescued dogs in Quebec a second chance. We are proud to report that we’re doubling our donation for a total of $20,000, and adding food and toys.

I guess all they really need right now is money donations. *S*
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM

How long to wait?

Listening to the news this morning, I heard that these dogs still belong to that woman. How can that be? If they were seized, then why would she still have ownership? And now these dogs have to wait how long "for the wheels of justice to turn"? I hope they are OK where they are, and hopefully the wait won't be too long.

I also wonder if Quebec laws are strong enough to win this case, knowing now that the seizure was not court ordered. If such "commercial breeding operations" are allowed, then should they be allowed for companion (non-agricultural) animals? Of course not - but is there a distinction? What if the judge says the dogs were fed properly and housed in clean conditions - what then? It's just too scarey.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

what then? well she gets a slap on the wrist, a fine and given her dogs back.........if she can afford the fine which will be in the thousands, its so much per case...(per dog), its suppose to take 6-8 weeks for a decision, I can't see after all the media attention, the judge awarding her the dogs back. If by some chance she does get them back, she will be ruined, she won't be able to afford to keep them all, people have now been informed of her the world over and she'll have absolutely NO customers......
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Sadly she will still have customers, especially if she gets awarded the dogs back.
And being that they have a reputation for sueing... she will start sueing. Just the feeling I have along.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM

More donations to help the dogs

I contacted the nice people at Ren's Pet Depot and they will be donating badly needed pee pads. Global Pet Foods in Quebec (Pitou Minou & Compagnons) will set up donation boxes at their stores, will make their own donation, and all their stores will act as drop-off points. I continue my emails today....hopefully more good news later.
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM

people have now been informed of her the world over and she'll have absolutely NO customers......
In an ideal world you're right. However, as we know, millers can get around bad publicity by selling animals through brokers and over the internet in an anonymous fashion. Anyone who boasts that they had so many animals and that they even had plans to bring school children to the barn to teach them about various breeds is obviously totally ignorant of the bigger picture. Even with the "improvements" that have been made in the past few years, you cannot properly sanitize a wooden hog barn, or get the dogs outside to socialize on a regular basis. I just pray that the new animal welfare regulations will be passed into law really soon.
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Condition of those dogs

From "cyperpress.ca"

Selon le Ministère, 150 des 527 chiens sont malades. Ils souffrent surtout de toux de chenil, d'otites, d'infections de la peau et des yeux ainsi que de plaies de morsure. Pour l'instant, aucun n'a été euthanasié. Il y avait dans ce chenil 70 chiens de grande race, comme le saint-bernard, 70 chiens de moyenne race comme le labrador, 385 chiens de petite race, comme le caniche. On a compté en outre 90 chiots, mais ce nombre augmente, car il en naît chaque jour.

Translation:

According to the Minister (of Agriculture I assume), 150 out of the 527 dogs are sick. They suffer mostly from kennel cough, ear infections, infections of the skin and eyes as well as from bite wounds. At the moment, none have been euthanized. There were in this kennel 70 dogs of the large race, like the Saint Bernard, 70 dogs of the medium race, like the Labrador, 385 dogs of the small race, like the Poodle. We counted about 90 puppies, but this number increases, because more are born each day.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM

So. What happened at the appeal on Dec 14th?
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Appeal Date

The appeal didn`t go Dec 14, again they had a reason why they could not attend court. New date is March 21 but I have heard there is news coming before that, Lorie is on fb and up dates there.