Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Puppy go shopping?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you bring your dog shopping with you? I have a 16-week Pekingese cross and would love to bring him out with me but I'm not sure if I am allowed to bring him into certain places like malls, supermarkets, coffee shops, etc. He is very well behaved in public although he is also friendly and extremely adorable so, whenever I do take him out for walks, he would attract a whole bunch of people wanting to pet him and he would give them kisses.
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

ive been wondering the same thing since im trying to get sammy used to noisy places, hopefully to get him over his fear of noisy places

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Supposedly you can bring your pet anywhere where there is no food and no signs saying you can't. Personally, I think walking downtown is ultimate place to see how your dog reacts to "Hustle and bustle"...
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM
banned user

I thought it was a Pomeranian, or is it a pom/Pekinese mix? Is it the same one as your avatar?? Sorry, don't have an answer to your question, I was just curious about the pup... he's so cute!
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Well, I had heard that there is no law stating that pets are not allowed in public places (other than places that serve/sell food, for health reasons). However, I have tested this on many occasions and find that it's really hit and miss as to who will let you in to their establishments.

I know that the Home Depot in our area will allow you to bring your dog in, if s/he's well-behaved and leashed at all times. The WalMart in our area will let you bring your dog into the vestibule (area between the two doors), if you tell them that s/he's in training and you're trying to socialize her/him. Simcoe Building lets you bring your dog into their store as well, and they even have a basket of biscuits at the register. Apparently (I've never experienced this one myself) Home Hardware will also let you bring your pet in. Canadian Tire doesn't allow it. Neither does Royal Distributing (if you're in the area). I don't know about public transit, either (since I never use it), but apparently GO doesn't allow pets on board.
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Hey Sneaky,

Honestly, we are not entirely sure of what his exact breed is 'cos my boyfriend got him for me and couldn't quite remember what the breeder told him and forgot the paperwork at the breeder's place. I just recently found the receipt that he got and it says that he was a Pekingese cross so, I'm just going by that. But we think he is probably a Pekingese Pomeranian cross. My vet thinks that he is a Pomeranian cross too. Thank you for the compliment .. he is indeed a cutie pie.

Thank you all for all your help ... that's what I thought too but just wanted to reassurance.
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM
<-----nut ball

the only place I know for sure that allows dogs is the pet stores. Everywhere else, I leave the dog at home, unless it's outside. During the summer in Brampton we have a farmers market on Saturday mornings. I can't wait to take Odin with us as everyone brings their dogs.
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

My experience has pretty much been same as Wrighting4Fun - except I did take my Eskimo pup into Canadian Tire next to Pet Smart on Laird in Toronto- put him into a shopping cart with a tight hold on the seat belt strap of his harness and we toured the store with puppy waving at people like Prince Charles. I think this Canadian Tire allowed it simply because of the proximity to Pet Smart and the Home Depot just behind it. I did same at Home Depot. As Eskie's weight increased it became harder to carry him and I would prefer he not walk - unless it is a Pet Smart with clean-up stations. Also it is easier with people - you never know how your dog will react to certain people - and apparently my Eskie is "very good looking for an ugly breed" - I quote John Q Public on the street and everybody wants to pet him. NICE. Actually HE is very pretty. I have carried him into the corner store though to get a Coke. He did go to Restoration Hardware and was given cookies so they allow dogs. Malls generally don't allow them. Holt Renfrew does but I would definitely be carrying him in there.
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

k

ummmmm, I might get slammed for this but personally I don't think your dog should be anywhere but in a pet food store. Many people dislike dogs and would prefer not to encounter them when out. Also, I was recently shopping at Provigo (grocery store) and here's a family with the dog in the cart along with all the groceries. The dog was probably the most dirty Bichon I had ever seen and it's laying on meat. I do understand the need for assistance dogs to be with their owners but I don't understand the reasoning behind bringing a regular pet dog grocery shopping. I think that dogs have a place and so do people who don't want a dog. This coming from a rescuer, go figure, lol.
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Puppy could get sick

Since your pup is only 16 weeks, I wouldn't take them anywhere just yet. You should wait until at least 6 months to allow their immune system time to fully develop. Your pup could pick up all sorts of stuff in the pet store and get sick. Same with any place that there might be other dogs - puppies can pick up all sorts of sicknesses in places like that. Once they are at least six months, you can take them wherever you want (and can get away with)
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Well personally I take my dogs everywhere, the chihuahuas that is. When I first got one I was always bringing her to school for my seminars and lectures. My one TA even let her sit on the desk and watch. It was great socialization for her. Of course none of this happened until after her 2nd set of shots, with fear of parvo and all. I have taken both shopping in the US, of course I dont have them out. I have many purse like dog bags that I carry them in. My LV one is perfect for both to ride together and if anything I have yet to have someone get upset that I have a dog, they are usually just fascinated or complimenting. I wouldnt bring them into the grocery store and was once told to leave Costco lol Just call me a rebel with a chihuahua. I wonder what they would say if I showed up with Atticus at home depot??
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM
banned user

I bring my puppy to SuperPet, that's the only place I bring him.
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
Since your pup is only 16 weeks, I wouldn't take them anywhere just yet. You should wait until at least 6 months to allow their immune system time to fully develop. Your pup could pick up all sorts of stuff in the pet store and get sick. Same with any place that there might be other dogs - puppies can pick up all sorts of sicknesses in places like that. Once they are at least six months, you can take them wherever you want (and can get away with)

I thought the only worry in that respect was before their shots are finished??

i never heard anything about 6 months, in fact my vet encouraged me to get sammy out into the public as much as possible to help him overcome his nervousness in public

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM

I think 6 months is just a precaution. I know after their second round of shots they can enter puppy school, but I would watch dog parks etc until after their 3rd set.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM

HMPH... Just got off the phone with my local Home Depot and they said no to me bringing Atticus in
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I've always been told 6 months

I've always been told that pups are vulnerable until 6 months (providing they get their shots on time). Although I wouldn't take a puppy to anyplace with other dogs around until 6 months, I wouldn't hesitate to socialize with family, friends, etc. I am talking about having them around strange dogs who may not be vaccinated, not other family/friends dogs. I totally agree that socialization, socialization, socialization (wow, say that three times fast ) is the key with raising a companionable dog - I just say wait to have them around strange dogs until their immune system is good.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Performance Spaniels

I used to take Cider everywhere... Wrapped in a baby blanket, in my arms..

I was hoping to get an outward hound side bag for her.. like a sling, but even though she is the right weight for one, her little body is too big.

I took her into a small mall to go to a radio shack, into walmart when I need a potty box for her (rubbermaid container) needed to see if it was big enough, and a few other places.

Now, I only take her to outdoor places, and to petstores. 19 pounds is too heavy to carry around anyhow now that she's grown up.

I had an issue with carrying her into walmart.. the greeter threw a fit, and I thought she was going to call security, but it was 20 below outside, and people steal puppies.. I was not exactly nice... but she was a b**** about it.. it was a one time deal because I needed something for Cider though..
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM

mafia, was it the 4th ave walmart? The greeter through a hissy when she saw me leaving with a chihuahua in my purse, she shoved her hand in my bag and pushed the poor guys head right down telling me i cant have him in there.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Kitty Consort

Your puppy is adorable! :love: Congratulations on the this little sweetheart.

Well, I bring my dog almost everywhere,(except supermarkets and restaurants for obvious reasons)
I always bring along my pooch-pouch carrier when I am out walking, (or driving) and then I just pop him inside. He is six pounds... easy to pack around.

I've taken to him to the WalMart many times, plus the video store, the library .. window shopping in various malls. I've had him on the bus, our rapid transit system here (skytrain), and this one is pretty good - I once stopped and got my hair cut while he sat on my lap.

I do bring him to the pet store also, but keep him inside the carrier as well.
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM

I agree...it's not fair to take your dogs to all stores, and restaurants, etc. People can be allergic, don't like or afraid. It's neighbourly to wait out front with your dog---not to take it in.
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Performance Spaniels

Sure was that Walmart. The cashier told me she is wretched to kids, animals, adults, seniors, stuffed animals....
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Its such a small world. That lady only works evenings, its an older gentlemen during the day who is nice to my little ones. The lady with the limp that hates kids, cats dogs, the world somedays, really needs to look into a different job, not a walmart greeter.
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM
banned user

Sorry, but I don't think people should be bringing animals into malls and stores either. Mostly because of allergies, and fears that it could produce.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM

I have a pekingese, and we have always taken her almost everywhere we go.
I have an advantage though, as I have a young child, and have to take a stroller with me when i go out. So underneath the stroller there is a basket, and we got one with a big enough basket to comfortably fit her.
I have seen people take their dogs (small enough to be carried) to Walmart, Winners, The Bay, etc. I have not seen any dogs in supermarkets, and i can understand why.
If anyone shoved their hand at my dog's head, you better believe i would have done same to her. Absolutely no one is allowed to raise a hand at my dog without repercussions.
When i do go out with my dog, i am always prepared to be asked to leave. Just keep that in mind.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree that they shouldn't be taken to malls or stores either.I have seen it many times where people are carrying their little dogs and pups through the malls.And I have seen Security tell them they are not allowed.There are signs on the entrence doors stating they are not allowed.They even have them in the food courts.The only dogs allowed in there are service dogs in training,and Guide dogs.

When I was training Tron,I did take him to the mall,but not often.He did have his bright orange jacket on stating he was in training.I usualy took him to crowded areas like downtown,and to the fairs,friends that had barbacues.The only place I wasn't able to take Yukon was the mall.But every other place Tron went,Yukon also followed.

By 16 weeks all shots are done.And at that age my boys were around all different dogs.I didn't wait till they were 6 months.And I never had any problems with them picking anything up from other dogs.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I agree that people shouldn't take dogs anywhere food is sold, no matter how small or portable they are. I admit that it is a little annoying to see a small dog in a place where my medium-sized dog would not be allowed simply because of her size. Size discrimination is an ugly thing.

BUT, dogs that may become therapy dogs (which is my intention with Phoebe) need to be socialized and exposed to all the sights, smells and sounds out there in the "real world". That includes people in wheel chairs, people with canes, people with all sorts of challenges, automatic sliding doors, etc... That's why our trainer suggested the vestibule at WalMart (just between the two doors). We don't allow her to run up to greet everyone, obviously. She's placed in a "sit+stay" off to the side. If anyone shows interest, they are allowed to pet her & give her a treat.

Unfortunately, "potential therapy dogs" don't get to wear identifying vests, so we ALWAYS ask permission before taking her anywhere.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Unfortunately, "potential therapy dogs" don't get to wear identifying vests, so we ALWAYS ask permission before taking her anywhere.
Well they don't usually have it for those training for the Police K9 Unit,but I got one......
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2bullies
I think 6 months is just a precaution. I know after their second round of shots they can enter puppy school, but I would watch dog parks etc until after their 3rd set.
Most of puppy schools in the Ottawa area require 3 shots including rabies and bordetella(??) to be able to register in a puppy school.

I would love to see a more pet-friendly society, like Europe, where many more stores are open to pets.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM

3 of the pet schools in the Niagara region that I called only required 2 sets of shots, I didnt call outside of my region.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Performance Spaniels

I talked to every school in the phonebook, and 2 sets of shots was the norm.

When we started shcool we were the only ones with 3 sets and rabies..