Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Downsizing, anxiety and training

I recently downsized - instead of 2 dogs I know only have 1. I gave my Shepherd/Chow mix to a farm in the country so she could run, roam and do her own thing. She was a very defiant dog and not doing well in the city. Now, I have one dog - Al. He is very needy, emotional and attentive. He is a rotti, boxer and staffordshire rescue dog. As a puppy he was socialized well. However, when I adopted him, he came to a house with my other dog - who did not like other dogs and was very difficult to train. Al, although the better behaved dog, took on the bad habits from his sister. I think that his sister gave him the confident to do the defiant deeds.

Now, his sister is gone, and I would like to start to socialize him more. He is 2 years old, and gets very overwhelmed, jumpy and excited when he sees another dog, especially when he is on leash with me. He has recently been around other dogs and managed to play a little, however, he has been in a few scraps.

does anyone have any tips on how to socialize my older dog?

Also - does anyone have any experience with making my dog feel less lonely?

Last edited by mydogal; November 13th, 2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Are you serious? You "downsized"? Pets are for life. They are not something you view as a "corporate decision". Why don't you try obedience school for yourself and your pet?

Last edited by White Wolf; November 13th, 2006 at 09:31 PM. Reason: removed rudeness
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM

I agree... Good dogs don't just happen. You have to work at it. Hard. And when the times get tough, you just aren't working hard enough. And bad dog is only contagious when more than one dog are with the same bad owner. JMO.

So to avoid having a bad dog, be a good owner and learn more about dogs, dog behavior and dog training. The first step of that is to enroll in obedience school.

Maybe then, when you really bond with your dog and really understand him will you understand why we feel so strongly that pets are not disposable and can't be "downsized," as you put it.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Pets are (or supposed to be) for life.

The OP definitely chose the wrong word - but the point has been made.

Without a doubt, the number one thing you need to do mydogal is take your dog for group obedience training. You bring up many issues in your post, that obedience training can help solve. Obedience training (especially group - which is best IMO) is usually not too expensive, and the results are normally amazing.

Try to get a reference from someone you know or a vet. This will help solve your training, obedience and socialization issues. It will also give you someone that you can problem solve with.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys - but honestly - I'm not an idiot who decided to change my purse to match my shoes and my dog's fur didn't match either.

My dog was completely miserable in my back yard, fighting to get out every day, she was hit by a car, and overall, was showing serious signs of depression. She did go to obedience school - and if fact, the instructor suggested that I seek medication for her agression. She was very hostile. So - even though a pet is for life, if that pet is completley miserable and finding a good open yard in the country for her is in her best interest - then so be it.

People at kennels and instructors suggested medication, and serious forms of training - like shock. Now that is altering the dog's personality forever. I would rather let her run wild and free than start using shock therapy.

and yes - downsizing is exactly what happened. I went from 2 to 1 - simple.

Marko - thanks for the constructive comments. I think I will try to start taking Al to a class - its just that he is such a big dog and most dogs at classes are young puppies. I will have to do some research to find an instructor suitable for his needs.

Last edited by mydogal; November 14th, 2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogal View Post
and yes - downsizing is exactly what happened. I went from 2 to 1 - simple.
See the problem is that statement just negates all the compassion you were trying to convey in your first three paragraphs. :sad:
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM

OP's original question answered, thread closed
Closed Thread