Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Anyone have experience with robin fledglings?

We have a robin fledgling in the backyard and though he's still being fed by the adults, he's now sitting in the full sun and doesn't move around at all. The only time I've seen him to try fly is when my dog tried to sniff him (before we realized the baby was there) and the baby sort of hopped/flew a bit and then stumbled into the ground. The parents are attentive still but I'm wondering if I should move him into shade before it gets too hot?
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

the parents will move the baby and in fact, the baby itself will let you know if its too hot by lifting its wings....try to keep your dog inside because the parents will get agitated and afraid to go to the fledgling, if you feel the need to move it, just walk/herd it to a shrub and mom will follow.
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks Melinda. The dogs are going out on leash and then back in again. The parents are keeping a close eye but the baby seems to have trouble moving. It takes a couple of steps and then falls on his head and has to right himself again. As long as the adults are still feeding him, I imagine that he's OK. I'll just keep an eye on him today.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

you can try to move the fledging to the shade, if you want..however by doing so, you might get nose bombed dive by the parents. Fledgings are a little awkward, they are trying to learn to fly(birds learn to fly from the ground up) ...but falling on his head doesn't sound good. How big is he? If you are concern, you should call your local animal control. let them know that you are concern, even though the parents are around, he is following on his head when he takes a few steps. They can come out and aess the situation. I've seen injured fledglings, with the parents still around, when I worked as an Animal Protection Officer.

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 8th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

good advice NoahGrey
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks very much for the advice. The poor little guy is having a rough day. The blackbirds are starting to go after him so I'm going to have to do something. I covered him with a large laundry basket to keep the birds off of him, but that stops the parents from going to him as well. Any advice? In the meantime, I'll give the local humane society a call.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

if possible, is there a way you can tack a box or large margarine container to a tree? about 2-3 feet off the ground? Put an old t-shirt type rag in it, anything but a towel (nails/claws get caught) I don't think the black birds will go close to a treetrunk to get it but the parents will land on the container to feed.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Good advice Melinda...but I think the black birds will still get to him, but it is worth a shot...they might not like the container and just leave it alone...that is what I am hoping.

Duchess: The parents will defend their baby from the black birds..I would take off the laundry mat basket...this will only stress out the baby and it's parents. Did you call the shelter? What did they say. More so then not, as harsh as it sounds, sometimes you have to let nature takes its course, for there is only so much you can do..without causing stress that make the parents leave or stop feeding/caring for baby. Good luck. Keep us posted. I am rooting for the little guy

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 8th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Unfortunately, that one short attack by the blackbirds did too much damage. It was obvious that he wasn't going to make it so I put the little guy in a protected spot in the shade and he passed very quickly. I did call the local shelter and they basically said that nature had to take its course. In hindsight, I wish I had moved him to a safer spot earlier but the parents were being so vigilant. I'm surprised that they didn't protect him from the blackbirds. Maybe there was something else wrong and they knew better. The crueler side of nature is hard to witness. Thanks, everyone, for the advice.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear about that Duchess. RIP little bird.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Duchess, even if you moved it, they have a will of their own and it would have moved back out into the open, they try to follow the parents because parents mean food, you did what you could, and yes, nature is sometimes cruel and we can do little to stop it. I'm sorry you had to witness it.
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Duchess,thank you for trying to help the little one
It's heartbreaking to see,unable to do anything,this little one had probably fallen out of the nest,way to early.
I really do not think he would stand a chance,with cats,Blackbirds,Crows and Blue-Jays around,no matter how much the parents tried to protect him.