Old September 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

The Soo

Well...since moving up to the Soo, I have already seen a black bear. He was a yearling. Also a few owls, Sandhill Cranes, salamanders, and a couple of other critters. I also got some nice pictures of the salamanders.

So far, we also have had a trip to a bat cave. A nice 6 KM walk into the forest.

I am loving it up here. Am also a northern girl at heart. Just took a few years to get here *lol*

ACO22
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

You are right in your element! Good for you!

Though I am a huge animal lover of all sorts....I am not so sure how I would do in a bat cave.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear you are loving it so far.

You are going to post those pics, aren't you?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ahem....so where are those pics? Hmmmm?

Sounds like you're in your proper element, ACO22! It's like coming home, isn't it?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats ACO22, sounds like you're in the place you were meant to be!

I agree - we need pictures!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I know I need to post pictures, but I left the piece that you need to download it from your camera at home. I can call my mom and she said that she would send whatever down. A guy in my class has one of those killer cameras..you know the long lens and probably is a couple thousand as well. He took some even better pictures and is making a page on FB, but he made it a private invaition to join. Pretty much just for our class.

Yes, I do love it up here. The people are nicer and friendier. One thing that I have to get used to is the way that they talk about Toronto area...it is referred to as 'down south' Now, I know that we are south, but just that when you live down here, south is Florida and pretty much everyone at home who talks about down south, is usually talking Flordia....I have to keep on reminding myself that 'south' is my hometown and not florida *lol*

ACO22
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I remember on a trip to the coasts--in Maryland, I was a 'westerner' and in Washington State I was an 'easterner'. I guess it's all relative.

Are you sure you need the piece that you left at home? Some computers have the slots that accommodate camera cards--when I first went digital, I downloaded using the USB cable...right up until the day I finally 'saw' the slot for the camera card in the body of my PC. I'd been looking at it for about 3 weeks before I realized what it was for. It's just so much easier plugging in the darn cards!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh the Sault! Been there many times. My parents were born there and we visited relatives on many occassions. I'm sure it's all changed since my last visit. My mother is actually heading up there in two weeks!

Would LOVE to see pictures when you get your thing-a-ma-jiggy thing for your camera.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Well...since moving up to the Soo, I have already seen a black bear. He was a yearling.

So far, we also have had a trip to a bat cave. A nice 6 KM walk into the forest.

I am loving it up here. Am also a northern girl at heart. Just took a few years to get here *lol*

ACO22
Hey AC022, I have a friend on the police services in the Sault and she has said they have been getting multiple bear sighting calls as of late. She even found bear scat at the end of her driveway one morning. She lives up in the P patch not too far from Sault College (my old alma mater!)
Glad you like the area. I try to get up there every couple of months, but my sick little man here has been putting the shoe on my friend's foot for her to come down here instead.
I love the cross border shopping.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Hey AC022, I have a friend on the police services in the Sault and she has said they have been getting multiple bear sighting calls as of late. She even found bear scat at the end of her driveway one morning.
Quincymycat, it is not uncommon for bears to come into town or walk across someones lawn. At the college, we have a huge outdoor forest lab, called the Woodlot. We have bears in there. My friend was walking in there one day and came upon a bear climbing a tree. MNR has a program called Bearwise, that handle the bear calls. Although, people do call the police. Minus the bear hunting season, bears, including all wildife are much more respect in the North, then back home, which is the South. I mean even down to the road kill. Back home, i swear, there is a deceased animal every km. Here, I have been for 2 months and have only seen 2 deceased squrriels.

ACO22
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Minus the bear hunting season, bears, including all wildife are much more respect in the North, then back home, which is the South. I mean even down to the road kill. Back home, i swear, there is a deceased animal every km. Here, I have been for 2 months and have only seen 2 deceased squrriels.

ACO22
You are very lucky. I was born and lived in the Soo for almost 30 years before moving south, and I have to say the treatment of animals sometimes was a bit more lacsadaisical in the north. Less respect for domestic - meaning more drop offs and hunting was a norm for most, although I never could understand why. I am familiar with the woodlot, but when I lived there, there was no sign posted like now indicating what it was. Likely because most of the area around there was still bush land.
Progress happens I guess, even in the good old Soo.
I remember asking my friend what people thought the police could do about a bear sighting, but I guess first thought is to call 911?
How do like the Soo? I imagine it must have been a big change from the south. I personally love the Soo and will likely end up back there in a few years although I no longer have any family there, my friend from grade 2 (sooooo many years) is still there and hopefully we can keep each other standing during retirement.
So this will be your first winter up there. THAT, I do not miss. I have memories of digging myself out the side door of the house after a good storm. Enjoy the town. It is a nice place.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Zoe had a bear penned in the backyard last garbage night. She was barking her wild "I GOT something, and it's something GOOD" bark way at the back of my property. I went out to get her thinking cat, raccoon.....possibly skunk.....then part way into my backyard I smelt the smell.................

I tried to yank on her chain to get her to come in, she wasn't listening to me at all. I had to go all the way out with nothing but a little keychain flashlight and that is when I saw the bear maybe 10 feet from Zoe in the apple trees.
I had to haul her all the way in by her collar.....for me just a bit to close to the bear than I would like to be. Dang hunting hound she is.........braver than she should be.

I called the police, then watching big ben walk down my driveway and waddle up the street checking out garbage cans on his/her way.

I will give you a call when the deer come to the back yard to eat the old crabapples in the winter, maybe big ol'mister moose will make another appearance this winter too. Welcome to the Soo.....!!!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
You are very lucky. I was born and lived in the Soo for almost 30 years before moving south, and I have to say the treatment of animals sometimes was a bit more lacsadaisical in the north. Less respect for domestic - meaning more drop offs and hunting was a norm for most, although I never could understand why. I am familiar with the woodlot, but when I lived there, there was no sign posted like now indicating what it was. Likely because most of the area around there was still bush land.
Progress happens I guess, even in the good old Soo.
I remember asking my friend what people thought the police could do about a bear sighting, but I guess first thought is to call 911?
How do like the Soo? I imagine it must have been a big change from the south. I personally love the Soo and will likely end up back there in a few years although I no longer have any family there, my friend from grade 2 (sooooo many years) is still there and hopefully we can keep each other standing during retirement.
So this will be your first winter up there. THAT, I do not miss. I have memories of digging myself out the side door of the house after a good storm. Enjoy the town. It is a nice place.
Oh, I love it up here and hear that the winters are bad...however, as I tell people here..the South HAS bad winters as well *lol*

As for domestics, I find that here more people just let there dogs roam at large more. As for stray cats, I am sure there are lots around and the South also have TONS of stray cats I hate the aragonace.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; October 28th, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is the MNR bearwise program link, if anyone is interested. I am trying to get in with them for my summer paid co op placement.

ACO22
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh, I love it up here and hear that the winters are bad
you must not be a cross country skier then, LOL. Some of the best trails in Ontario are at Stokely Creek, Hiawatha Highlands and the Soo Finnish Nordic Club. The ski swap at Hiawatha is this Sat. if you need skiis. Winter is GOOD in the Soo.
http://www.stokelycreek.com/
http://www.hiawathahighlands.com/
http://www.soofinnishnordic.com/