Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Save it for someone who'll believe you!
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i should not have let my mom go through with letting my gerbil go free
NOW you aren't making sense. What do you mean you 'let your mom go through' with letting your gerbil outside!? If you loved animals you'd have stopped your mom.
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Rescue Dogs

If you work with a reputable rescue organization, they'll have you fill out the application and will match an appropriate dog to you. This is good for a lot of reasons. Most rescue dogs have been in foster care, being cared for by an experienced dog owner who knows all the ins and outs of dog ownership and behavior. They can alert you to any problems the dog has, what its strong points are. Plus, you can certainly get a pure bred dog this way. If someone else has posted this, I apologize for the double advice. I'm so tired, I only made it through about half of the posts on this topic. You guys have been talkative! Anyway, Kibbles, good luck! Let us know what you decide on.

(added later) Oh, my. I'm caught up now. Kibbles, having a dog is a big responsibility and I hope that when you get one, you're ready for it. It can be very rewarding, but dogs are very expensive and very time consuming--if you don't spend your time and money on them, they turn out to be not very good dogs that are not enjoyable to have around. That's no fun for anybody involved, especially the dog. Just to give you an estimate, I have a pure bred black lab puppy named Ellie who admittedly came from a backyard breeder. She was free to a good home and the last puppy left. I couldn't resist her. She's almost nine months old and she has a sparkling personality. Her vet bills are close to $1500 now, due to maintaining her vaccinations, her spay and x-rays and then treatment of her hips for dysplasia. At nine months old, she's fairly well housetrained, but not 100% reliable. I love her dearly, but it's been a big commitment, and I admit that I was even a bit overwhelmed by it at first. But let me say, she's a *wonderful* dog and is 100% worth the time and money I've spent on her. But you should know that it takes a lot of time and a fair amount of money. Still and all, good luck if you do get a dog, to you and the animal both. Just please be responsible.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a very good post, plainsjane! People must understand there is no such thing as a "free" dog, especially when it comes from a careless backyard breeder, as you have so sadly found out.

Your dog is lucky to have you, when you are so committed to the responsibility you have undertaken. I just wish more people were like you.

My rescued dog - badly bred no doubt - also cost me over 1000$ in vet bills. For that money I could have gotten two dogs with impeccable pedigrees, but I love my girl and she is so worth it!
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I must echo what LR is saying here. I would never think of "trading" Ciara, with all her ills for any other healthy, problem free dog. Ciara has cost me many thounsands of dollars over the past 5 years and continues to cost $$ to keep her happy and pain free...I work for her well being.

Her devotion to me and her personality can never be matched again with any other dog.
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree,excellent advice!!! The problem with Kibbles,he/she is a teenager,who probably thinks it would be cool to have a dog,his mom capable of leaving a sick Gerbil outside doomed to a certain painful death,would probably not agree.
We've had many situations where dogs/cats have been left to an uncertain future,because mom or dad did not want it in the first place.
All of us here know,proper care of an animal costs money,things go wrong,animals get sick and at least in my opinion,a tiny(gerbil) or large animal makes no difference,they deserve a good life.
Kibbles has through his/her writing proven to be immature and does not seem to understand the responsabilitys of pet-ownership and does not have the funds to make sure a new puppy will get the care he needs.
What would happen,should mom decide he sheds too much,pees all over??
Would he too be put out to pasture?
No,Kibbles should wait a few years until he's mature and has his own income,maybe then he'll make a good,loving dog-owner.
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:48 AM

"Free Puppies"

Okay, Ellie's at about $1540 now. She recently converted my hair dryer to a cordless model and since it isn't designed to work that way, I imagine it'll have to be replaced!

I love the mutts. I would have gotten one if my father hadn't called to tell me about Ellie. I knew she'd be expensive, but I didn't realize quite how much. Good luck with everyone's puppies!
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

This idiot could not possibly even be a teenager,no way.............
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Do not let the Kibbles kook fool ya with the mom/gerbil excuse. Kibbles first stated that he/she "got rid of it". When the board turned up the heat and flamed his/hers sorry ass it was easy to blame someone else.
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Iknow,none of his storied make snese,i cant believe people get on here and do that stuff,what a lonely future jeffery dahmer.............
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Oops,bad Spelling,.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:06 PM

That's weird, I almost posted the other day an association with Jeffery Dahmer to this Kibbles person...if the shoe fits, and it clearly does. Scary...
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Great minds think alike,i have read enough books on serial killers and it ALWAYS starts off with being cruel to animals...............at a young age..........It is scary.........
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM

That's a very mean thing to say... Jeff Dahmer's animal problems were MUCH WORSE than letting a gerbil go behind a house!
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont think it is mean,gerbil,dog they are all living,breathing creatues...............
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Jeffery dahmer started by killing dogs............Read about him...
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Sweetie, I have a bachelor's degree in criminology, and I'm in law school right now - i probably know more about Jeffery Dahmer than you do. Jeffery was abnormally brutal to animal! He also had many other problems (namely - family problems, enuresis (bed wetting), pyromania...) I have a library worth over 10,000$ with books about criminals, biographies and other reference books, in my house!

Maybe you should read up on him!
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

ok!! SUGAR,is this becoming an agruement,good for you and your degree,yeah i know he had lost of other issues also,not here to argue,i am done with the know it alls,But being as you are so smart then you do know that pretty much all serial killers have abusive tendencies to animals,please dont write back to me,dont need your attitude,thought this was a civilized conversation.....Dont need the attitude..........
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Why do you always assume people are giving you an attitude.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelittlemako
Sweetie, I have a bachelor's degree in criminology, and I'm in law school right now - i probably know more about Jeffery Dahmer than you do. Jeffery was abnormally brutal to animal! He also had many other problems (namely - family problems, enuresis (bed wetting), pyromania...) I have a library worth over 10,000$ with books about criminals, biographies and other reference books, in my house!

Maybe you should read up on him!
Dahmer was one of the evilest nut cases to ever walk this planet. The thought that any human can have such a tendency to inflict such a gruesome crime against another human still gives me nightmares.
Any human that abuses animals or their fellow man in such a way as Dahmer did, less or more, is capable of doing the same.
So, if this kid grows up and is not satisfied with killing small animals, what's next? The possibilties are endless and scary.
I saw an association...that's why Dahmer came to mind...unfortunately so do many others. Evil kids can and will grow up to be evil adults if not stopped. Thank God Dahmer is dead.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Well the saying sweetie is my first clue,and telling me about all your degrees like i am dumb and just because i read about them and dont have a degree i dont know,if i am wrong about the attitude i apologize.............
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

And saying you know more about dahmer than i do,come on you know you were being a smart ass.Thank you Karin you said it perfectly..
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Sorry I call everyone sweetie (even my pup) - but not people I don't like. I guess when you read stuff over the internet, it's hard to get the tone of the message.

I didn't want to come out looking like I thought I was all smart - it's just that you wrote that I should read about him! So I wanted to explain that I know him and many other serial killers pretty well.

And to clarify things. Research on serial killers showed that to be an issue animal cruelty has to be done in conjuction with other problematic behaviors (such as pyromania...). Don't get me wrong, animal cruelty is a VERY BIG problem that should be dealt with at a young age, but to say that someone might become a serial killer - I find that a bit harsh.

Just my opinion.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM

See you're the one confronting me - calling me a smart ass.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

No,it was harsh i agree,and i am sorry then,some people do call people that,and your right over the internet,you cant get a tone of voice...Again sorry to clm...
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy

There is a huge difference between someone who neglects or abandons animals out of lack of responsibility, maturity, compassion, ignorance, self-interest, and someone who tortures, mutilates, and kills animals for a warped sense of pleasure or sexual gratification.
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I said i know that was harsh,and i also apologized to clm,lets drop it...........
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I need to go get some popcorn, this movie is interesting!

Jeff D's life ended painfully, the way he tortured many others.
I had an interesting experience one day at work a few years ago.

A man, looking to be a CLONE of Jeff D walked right by me, and with those killer type eyes glazed over and stared as he walked slowly by, like in slow motion.

I thought I was gonna drop a load in my pants.

Since that day , I always felt there perhaps was a coverup about his death because I'm telling you.....I felt evil from this man. I was frozen stiff looking at him as he glared at me and left the store.

YUP
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:38 PM

At least Dahmer was good looking! Imagine seeing Richard Ramirez coming at you! I would just die!

Poor Luba! I'm pretty sure Dahmer is dead, but if it would have been me, I would have Karate chopped him (even though I don't know Karate ) just to be sure.
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM

wouldyou please stopcalling me he becauseim a nice animalLOVING girl and you aremaking me feelguilty again !! please can you fogive me for letting my mum do it!!!!
Closed Thread