Old April 25th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Owl Prowl

I went out on a Owl Prowl last night, with my Ornithology teacher and 10 of my classmates. It is were you can participate in owl surveys, learning about different bird species, through site and sound in the field. We heard a variety of different birds. One of my favorites is the American Woodcock. Too cute. We even seen a muskrat, beavers and two timberwolves. The reasoning for participating is to see if you can owls to respond. The teacher has taped recordings of different owl vocals.

The first call, we had a barred owl fly in about 40 feet up from us in a tree. He stayed for a few, then flew off...where we heard a second owl. Maybe his mate? Then they chatted for about 10 mins. It was great. We went to 6 stations out of 10. Heard a few other owls, mainly barred owl last night. One of my faveurite calls

What is everyones favourite owl vocal/call
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Or even your favorite bird call
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love the barred owl duets! Also the evenly spaced and oft repeated hyuuu hyuuu hyuuu of the sawhet owl.

Did you see the Woodcock sky dancing? I love the peenting and their courtship flights! They have a peenting ground out back. We get a show every year.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

oh wow, sounds like an interesting evening!!! we had the opportunity once to watch a snowy owl enjoying a late lunch (which we later upon inspecting found out it was a pigeon) it was about 11 pm at night. Man, those birds are huge close up!!!
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM
-

I am no birder as you will soon know.

The other morning, lying in bed, a gang of feathered friends lurking outside my window were very distinctly sing-songing in their best helium-inspired voices..."Your cat is silly. Your cat is silly. Your cat is silly..."

Uninformed question (formerly known as "Stupid Question" ) for you. How can you see them at night well enough to differentiate one type from another? Or do you do that largely by sound?
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Uninformed question (formerly known as "Stupid Question" ) for you. How can you see them at night well enough to differentiate one type from another? Or do you do that largely by sound?
We were able to see their silhouettes. For the sounds, most species have a distinct call. And there are no stupid questions
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM
-

So wing-span, body shape, head shape ? Neato. Did you see the list of wildlife webcam sites Winston and others posted? Very cool.
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup you got it Oh and also the beak. We are actually going all day field trip tomororow out birding with our Ornithology teacher. No i don't believe I've seen the videos. My teacher is a genuis at birds. its amazing what he knows. It is my favorite class
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
-

Beak ~ that makes a lot of sense.

This is one of the threads with webcam sites: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69377

I'm always amazed at the variety of species we have in the City given that we are overrun with starlings and pigeons.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the link. yeah, i know what you are taking about. I am from southern ontario. I still considered it home...I do miss yorkdale mall though lol. but I have to say i am a northern girl at heart lol mainly for the wildlife. I live in bear country. It is not uncommon to see wolve, coyote and bear tracks in the city. wildlife is more often respected. today our class counted 280 different species of birds.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM
-

Lucky country-boy you! Mind you, if they keep development sprawl at the pace it's going, the bears will be HERE in a few years. We already have coyotes, bunnies and fox. Lots of hawks, some falcons.

You'll appreciate this as you know the city: had you heard about the doe found wandering on Dundas street near University?

Hey YOU!!!! Thought you'd sneak the formerly ACO in there ~ does this mean you got the job?
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Lucky country-boy you! Mind you, if they keep development sprawl at the pace it's going, the bears will be HERE in a few years. We already have coyotes, bunnies and fox. Lots of hawks, some falcons.

You'll appreciate this as you know the city: had you heard about the doe found wandering on Dundas street near University?

Hey YOU!!!! Thought you'd sneak the formerly ACO in there ~ does this mean you got the job?
lol I am female. And what job are you talking about? I used to work in Animal Control, but decided to go back to college and take Wildlife Conservation. It was Animal Control that got me interested in wildlife and conservation. I have to have my formal username posted for a week.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
-

I know who you are ACO sillybilly...just noticed that under your screen name now. I thought you had applied for a job in a sanctuary or a conservation area OR ...crud now you're going to make me look for the thread now!
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry lol I have been treking through the bush in the sun for 8 hours the past two days (and again tomorrow) I am a little suned out and not thinking clearly. Yes, I did apply for a summer co op job at a Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. I start the middle of May. And I have to have my old username posted for a week.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
-

Phew .... I knew I wasn't losing my ENTIRE mind. Good for you! It was all those pets.ca fingers, toes and paws crossed I'll bet!