Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

the saga continues

I was glad the little one was "safe",but had I waited another another 5 hours,he would have been safer

I was watching TV around 8pm when I heard a loud clang,sounded like a ladder falling down..
The mom Raccoon must have been working all day on getting through to the soffit(SP?)and getting it to fall down,it is all down on the side of the house.
They must all have fallen down to the ground,but they were all ok.

Some of the babies were going up on the roof trying to get back in,the mother and 3 babies climbed up our tree,the 2 babies on the roof,crying their little lungs out trying to get back down.

By now the old man,his sons and friends are here watching and laughing.
I just asked them to leave the babies on the roof alone,mom will get them down after dark.

So,I should feel satisfaction knowing I was right,mom was in the roof,as I thought,but knowing I had a baby removed from it's family,just makes me angry with myself....I should just stop interfering,sorry baby-coon
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

no chico, you did right, by now mom has forgotten there was another baby and baby is curled up with other orphaned coons and will live a long healthy life once released in a safe spot. each rescue has their own safe spot for releases, you dont know if another critter would have taken the kit, if it would have wandered out to the street and been hit etc. you did the best thing for that kit, you gave it a life! we need more people like you in this world to care for our wildlife.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It might have gotten too weak from not eating to recover if you'd waited longer, chico! So don't second-guess yourself! As Melinda says, the little one is now safe, has company, warmth and food and will live a long healthy life in the wild once it's released. You did good, chico

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:37 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It might have gotten too weak from not eating to recover if you'd waited longer, chico! So don't second-guess yourself! As Melinda says, the little one is now safe, has company, warmth and food and will live a long healthy life in the wild once it's released. You did good, chico
ditto chico, you did the right thing....and I'm sure the little one is all snuggly with others just like him!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Here we go again..

Humane Society called and asked if they could bring the baby back tonight,in the hopes the mom will come back here and they'll be reunited.

I am going to throw out some peanuts and bread,if the mom and her 5 babies come,maybe they'll stay long enough to notice the lost baby.

HS said he is in great shape,but if he's still here in the morning,they'll take him to a sanctuary.

Those stupid neighbors thought she broke down the soffit trying to get IN,while in her desperation she tried to get OUT,not in..if they had checked properly for her,before closing up the roof,this would not have happened.
Thank's everyone for your encouragement
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

it just might be possible that the mom will be back chico, good luck to the kit, please let us know what happens!!
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I sure will Melinda,you guys are my outlet,other people don't really understand why I care about"pests"(not my word for them).
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

oh beleive me, I understand.....completely, I've spent many nights sitting up watching over some "pest" to see if mom will return
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

HS got here last night at 10,she released the little one,he quickly disappeared in my flowers.
I had left food out to attract the mother and her other 5 babies and it was gone this morning,the way the peanut-shells were,is telling me it was Raccoons.
HS called me this morning and I and hubs had already looked everywhere,in every bush,up every tree and he's not here,hopefully that means he's joined his family
However,we will continue looking,mom will more than likely be back tonight(I am not leaving food out though)and hopefully I'll be able to count the babies.
The girl at HS,has been great...
My neighbors are not too happy with me though,not that I care,they don't even live here.
I told them not to close off the roof until they were out,but they did anyway...so now the soffit needs to be repaired mayorly.
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I can easily see why this got you so upset Chico2 and what an you are for helping so actively.

to you and that all the coons are okay.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like a success story, chico! I hope you're able to count babies tonight to totally set your mind at ease!

The damage to the house serves your neighbor right for having the family closed up in there in the first place. Is the HS going to cite them for cruelty for having blocked the raccoons in there in the first place?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,no they are not,since the mom was strong enough to push down the wooden over hang and the metal Soffit(I think that's what it's called)they'll be paying enough to have that fixed.

Marko,if I know of ANY animal in trouble,there is no way I would not interfere,but the "angel"part,some people might disagree
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

hats off to you chico, I imagine she came for the little one, what a great person you are, I love endings like this.
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:22 AM
~Cat Servent~

see that crappy day turned into a great story! bet the little guy is back with the family and tellin them all about his crazy adventure!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I wish I could know if he was safehe is not around here,for sure..
The girl at HS,told me,a baby-coon will usually stay in a familiar spot,will not generally wonder off on his own,I hope she's right.
So maybe this is a happy ending,I'd like to think so
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's the problem with good endings with wildlife. You never really know for sure unless you see the family actually reunite--and that makes it hard. But chances are this little one's mom came back looking for him and he's back with his family now! So I think that's the end of the tale we should go with!

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

she is right chico, if they are starving or very very thirsty , only then will they leave their "safe" spot to seek out humans
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I checked again,even in the neighbors yard and he's nowhere to be seen,I am 99% sure his mom came to get him