Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

50 dogs shot by owner in Dawson City

from CBC news this morning. It honestly made me cry when I heard how callous this ******* was: to sit on the pile of murdered dogs.....and the law can't touch him:sad:

Dog deaths bring laws into question
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 | 5:39 PM CT
CBC News
Yukon RCMP investigated the shooting death of at least 50 dogs near Dawson City in April, but they say they are not laying charges under the Yukon's animal protection legislation or under the Criminal Code.

Dawson RCMP Sgt. Dan Gaudet said in an interview Tuesday police were called out to Jim Foecier's place on the Dempster Highway in April to investigate the death of his dogs, but no charges have been laid.

"Unfortunately under the territorial dog act it would be very difficult in this case to proceed by way of a charge to prove the basic elements of the offence needed to secure a charge and conviction," said Gaudet.

He said the Criminal Code is even more stringent.

The file on this case remains open but unless some new angle turns up there is little else police can investigate, he said.

Aedes Scheer, a long-time member of the Humane Society Dawson, said in an interview her group had been dealing with complaints about Foecier's dogs for more than a year.

She said she visited his place on April 12 to check on the dogs and, disturbed by what she saw, she put the wheels in motion to have some of the animals seized. When she returned the next day with a veterinarian, all of the dogs were dead.

"The dogs had been methodically shot and dragged into a pile and the owner was sitting on the pile waiting for us," she said. "I don't know if that image will ever really leave me."

This case simply underlines the need to make changes to the current laws, said Scheer.

There is no law against the hoarding or collection of animals, but she thinks there should be.

The definition of animal distress also needs to be more clearly defined, she said.

Tanya O'Callaghan, of the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies, said in an interview from Ottawa it is not illegal to shoot dogs, even when dealing with as many as 50 at a time.

"Part of it is the animals are property and right now they're treated, under the Criminal Code, like any other piece of property," she said.

However, they are different than cars and tables and the law needs to reflect that difference, she said.

Foecier could not be reached for comment.

Last edited by White Wolf; June 29th, 2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added more *'s
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM

more from the Whitehorse Daily Star

Action called for after 56 dogs shot

By STEPHANIE WADDELL

After 56 dogs were found shot to death in April near Dawson City, the past president of the humane society in Dawson is calling on both the public and the government to make changes designed to help ensure other animals don’t suffer the same fate.
In an interview early this afternoon, Aedes Scheer said the dogs were found shot after nearly a year of complaints continued to come into the humane society about the care the dogs were getting.
“There needs to be changes to the Animal Protection Act,” she said.
The act needs to be tightened up in aspects where animals are cared for and there need to be regulations against the hoarding of dogs. There also needs to be an special officer in the territory, and not necessarily Whitehorse, she said, whose sole duty is the enforcement of the Animal Protection Act.
“We had complaints going back to last April 2005,” she said.
The humane society called the town’s bylaw officer about it and six of the dogs were seized at that time.
Scheer said in some cases the chains around the dogs’ necks had to be cut off carefully because skin had grown around them.
However, after the owner had paid fines the dogs were given back to him.
“The fellow (then) moved the dogs outside city limits,” said Scheer.
Because they were outside municipal boundaries, the humane society was forced to go to the RCMP, who laid charges under territorial legislation.
When Scheer and others from the humane society went to court, they learned the charges had been dropped.
However, complaints continued to come in.
“It just kind of continued like that,” she said.
As spring came to Dawson, and a follow-up was done on the case, many of the 56 dogs in the yard were found up to their bellies in melted snow and feces, with “guck” in their food bowls, said Scheer.
It was then determined 15 of the dogs could be seized, and the RCMP issued a warrant warning the owner of the seizure and requirement to see a vet, said Scheer.
They would later go out to find a pile of 56 dogs’ bodies.
“We found the dogs shot,” said Scheer.
Both RCMP and Scheer say that with the current legislation there’s not a lot that can be done to take action against the owner.
It’s not a crime to shoot a dog, as long as it’s done humanely, said Scheer.
It’s been more than two months since the dogs were found dead in a pile, but Scheer said the matter wasn’t publicly known until now because the humane society had been hoping to meet with RCMP to discuss how to proceed and to look at the current policies.
“It was a very delicate situation,” she said.
She wants to make sure the public is aware of the situation. It may lead to a push for tighter legislation on the Animal Protection Act or help in moving the territorial government ahead in designating some sort of officer where his or her sole duty is the Animal Protection Act.
Sgt. Dan Gaudet of the Dawson City RCMP says that under the current dog act there is little that can be done.
Gaudet was unwilling to confirm the name of the man who killed the dogs because no charges had been laid, but did say that the police had investigated the situation as early as the fall of 2005.
Working in partnership with the humane society, a local veterinarian and the dogs’ owner, the sergeant said the police tried to reach a compromise on the issue that would ensure proper care for the animals.
After the owner made improvements to the dogs’ living conditions, the RCMP withdrew their involvement but there was “no formal conclusion,” said Gaudet.
Under territorial, criminal and federal legislation there is no specific law which prevents owners from killing their animals, said Gaudet, who was reluctant to comment on regulatory issues.
“If the issue is with legislation, it’s not really up to me to make the changes,” he said, noting that politicians would have to address any shortcoming of current laws.
When asked if the man would be watched more closely in the future if he appeared to be repeating his past behaviour, Gaudet said, “It all depends on what new situation develops if he does.”
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

What can you really say?

I just want to scream. My heart is broken for these dogs and even the people who had to find them like that.
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Adopted by Dani

What I would like to know is how does the guy live with himself after he killed all the dogs and then sat on the carnage !!!! Really how does this guy sleep at night !!

I HOPE HE DOES NOT!!!!
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I am positively disgusted! People make me sick! :sad: Why did he do that??

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Honest Contributor

i think i'm about to be sick...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

What a horrific story,an evil little man:sad:
With our backward 100yr old,animal-cruelty laws,a shame to Canada...a horror to these poor animals,this is not the end to such happenings
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

This seems appropriate.
Attached Images

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
-

Unbelievable,can't find other words.Oh yes,disgusting,may he rott in hell.I can't believe in 2006,there is no law against this!The guy comes off with no charges,I just can't believe it.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
This seems appropriate.

OMG Glasslass!! I love it, can I use it for my signature?

As for the ahole!!! I hope he gets mistaken for a deer during hunting season

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
OMG Glasslass!! I love it, can I use it for my signature?

As for the ahole!!! I hope he gets mistaken for a deer during hunting season
....yes.....by 56 different rifles........