Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Family Dog Mauls Boy

July 4, 2006 -- A 3-year-old boy is recovering from dog bites to his face after the family dog attacked him on Monday evening. He's at his Lower Valley home with 9 stitches on his face, some right below his left eye.

Family members say the dog, named Killer, was a mixed breed who looked like a Cocker Spaniel.

They say Killer was eating when 3-year-old D.J. got close to him and the dog attacked.

"I never expected it, never. If I did I would have gotten rid of him a long time ago," said Margarita Salas, D.J.'s mother.

Salas says Killer was never aggressive. She says he was protective of her grandparents and stayed in their room most of the time.

Family members tried to pull Killer of D.J.'s face. His uncle managed to pull Killer off but was attacked as well.

"I just got him off. I started kicking and punching him. The second punch, he bit me," said Joe Reza, the victim's uncle.

The attack has taught Salas a lesson that she wants to share with other parents.

"Any kind of dog can end up attacking , whether it's big or small," said Salas.

She also resents that Killer was never neutered. As KFOX reported, dogs that have not been spayed or neutered are up to 3 times more likely to bite.

The owner of the dog was cited for not having the dog vaccinated. Animal Control picked up the dog Tuesday morning. No word yet if the dog will be put to sleep.

Copyright 2006 by KFOXTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Sad Story,but Hey Look Pit Bulls Are Not The Only Dogs In This World That Can Attack............................................
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I feel so bad for the boy, but the mom should know alot better than to allow a child where a dog is eating.
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I see stuff wrong with this on many levels.

First off - why would someone name a dog killer and not expect some aggressive behaviour?

Who in their right mind lets a small child near an eating dog?

She resents the fact that the dog was not neutered?!? This dog didn't even have shots!

How many people want to place bets on whether the dog had any type of training? I wonder how many times the neighbors had seen Killer running loose on the street?
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM

I believe children should never be near dogs when they are eating. A new neighbor moved in about 4 weeks ago who has a 2 yr. old son and a beautiful Doberman name Chico. She feeds Chico outside and lets her son go outside unattended with Chico while he is eating and this child grabs his food and throws it around, pulls his ears and climbs all over him. I spoke to her about it and her response was " Chico loves that child and would never hurt him." How long is this dog going to put up with it until it gets mad ? I know I wouldn't like it if someone was jumping all over me when I'm eating.
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Personal servant to Joey

That is a sad story - so what happens to this dog now. I never let my kids near Joey when he is eating or when he is in his bed playing with his toys or if he is sleeping.

Although Joey does try to jump all over me if I am eating on the couch. I growled at him a few times but so far I have kept my cool.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
"I never expected it, never. If I did I would have gotten rid of him a long time ago," said Margarita Salas, D.J.'s mother.
Quote:
So warning to parents then, any dog can kill a child. So everybody get rid of your dogs just in case.

Dogs are animals. And an animal with such minimal vet care is bound to also have minimal obedience training and socialization... That is an unsafe pet, regardless of breed, and even species.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sad that this happened to the child. But I hope this dog is not pts. People shouldn't blame a dog for behaving like, ...well, like a dog.

Joey was extremely protective of his food and we gave him a wide berth when he was eating. When we got Cooper we would feed him from our hands, put our hands in his dish while he was eating etc. You could take his dish away while he's eating and he wouldn't behave aggressively.

HOWEVER....even though he's a dog with a great temperament he's still a dog. I don't know that one day he's not going to feel threatened if someone, especially a child, comes near his dish. I would never ever allow anyone near him while he's eating.

I am strongly against BSL. But I would love to start a movement in favor of MSL (moron specific legislation )
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama

I am strongly against BSL. But I would love to start a movement in favor of MSL (moron specific legislation )

ROFLMAO!!!

Sorry, it wouldn't work. Somehow it seems that once one is elected to a government office, one becomes a moron.

I am sure one wouldn't have far to look to find just such an example of this.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM

First off, naming him "Killer" just reeks of class.

Second off, the dog probably isn't aggressive in general, just food aggressive. That lady should've told her son never to bother the dog while he's eating. Poor dog, I hope he's not PTS. It's not his fault he has crappy owners.

But I do agree with this:

Quote:
Yes, any dog can attack. That's why you must teach your children to have common sense around all dogs, large and small, familiar and strange.
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, and I'm not saying that this is the case here, but people should watch that the children are not tormenting the dog.

So many times I've seen parents not bat an eyelash while a child is treating a dog or cat as though it were a stuffed animal. Climbing on it, pulling it, just being generally inconsiderate and causing the animal discomfort and/or pain. But when the animal defends itself in the only way it knows how then it's the animals fault. Unfair.

If someone tried to hang from my ears, for instance, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't bite.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Well, at least they didn't say something like: "...Killer, was a mixed breed who looked like a Pit Bull"
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes, any dog can attack. That's why you must teach your children to have common sense around all dogs, large and small, familiar and strange.
no matter what breed , children should be 100% suprvised around dogs, if you have to answer a door bell, answer a phone, the seperating the 2 must occur. When it come to very young children, owners are very limited on the ways they can teach to dog that a toddler is higher on the alpha scale than they are, and it is often not until the child is older and is able to exert dominance forms behaviour and training themselves that a dog is able to accept that the child is higher in rank in the household.

Sadly it is the parents negligence that has caused this to occur to the 3 year old boy, not the dog, the dog is being simply what it is, a dog. And worse we have a population and legal system that refuses to acknowledge a dog is an animal and behaves like an animal, they want them to act and behave like good little children in fur coats, and when they act like the animals they are, they want them want them sentenced to death rather than look at what occured and understand how it could have been prevented.

The media could be one of the most powerful tools in educating the public on how to prevent thousands of other children from being hurt when reporting incidences like this, much like the do with Nest Niles incidences or other health threats like bird flu, HIV/AIDS etc, instead they focused on comments from the owners making it sould like the dog suddenly went beserk and has now become some evil monster that can no longer be trusted, so they too have become negligent and failed in their responsibilities to report and help protect the public.
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
they want them to act and behave like good little children in fur coats, and when they act like the animals they are, they want them want them sentenced to death rather than look at what occured and understand how it could have been prevented.

I don't know how many times I was nodding my head while I was reading this post. The dogs are being given a death sentence for someone else's crime.
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM

This reminds me of the time my younger sister was bit in the face by our Ger. Shep. She was bit because she was a very clumsy child and landed on his penis. Eric caught her behind one ear and right below the opposite eye. I remember the police at the house..total accident, Eric stayed with us. Parents did not freak out and blame the dog. I was totally p'd off because she was in my favorite dress when this occured... totally ruined! Looking back, she was lucky he missed her eye.

Parents have got to teach thier kids(and themselves)...maybe this should be taught in school!