Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Question Depressed Dog

Hi..
My 6 1/2 yr old 21 lb Scottish Terrier has been diagnosed w/ a torn cruciate in his right rear leg which he pulled a little over 2 weeks ago chasing after the ball that he is totally obsessed with chasing. Because he is often walking on this leg we have decided to go the non-surgical route with our fingers crossed. He is still a "tripod" when it comes to anything more than a slow walk at this time.
He is on Deramaxx and Glucosamine. My question is can dogs become depressed?? He has been very quiet and in his bed most of the time.
My usually active dog is just so quiet. He comes to us with ball in mouth in hopes that we will play with him but of course we cannot play at this time.
He has never been a "chewer" so I do not think even a chew toy will keep him occupied.
Any suggestions??
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM

From what you are describing it seems that the vet may have suggested surgery, but you don't agree? Maybe another opinion would be a good idea to make up your mind. Some ailments can only be "repaired " by surgery, others with medication only. Maybe your dog is in pain? Did you ask the vet if the condition can worsen if left untreated? You are paying a lot of money for vet bills an therefore should ask a lot of questions, we are not vets and cannot offer advise.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you think he's in pain (other than when he moves)? I really wonder sometimes if animals get as much as they need.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
-

I'm not sure I understand ... he's not going to get any surgery ? If not , and the only thing he's getting is Deramaxx and gluco , I'm guessing your dog IS in much pain. That explain why he's feeling the way he is.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I agree with Frenchy, I believe your dog is in pain.:sad: Please check with the vet.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Depressed Dog

If surgury was our only choice we certainly would have scheduled it.
Vet told us it is OK to wait and see if cruciate repairs itself as it is not completely torn and very well might be OK...although more apt to tear in future is he resumes his chasing the ball.
The surgury and after surgury therapy is pretty intense if we do not have to put the dog through it we choose not to.
Perhaps my dog will have to be content with the daily walks when he is better. He has been crazy chasing the ball ...running like a bullet.
Now that he is approaching "middle age" perhaps slowing down will be a little easier for him. Like I said he still wants to play but we are saying NO when he brings his throw toys and just keeping him quiet. I think he is depressed to not be doing his daily running and playing.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our Priscilla partially tore one of her cruciate ligaments and it healed up fairly well after an extended rest. However, she was 11 years of age at the time. Afterward, she could walk without a limp, but would no longer run.

So if your dog lives for the ball, even if the ligament heals fairly well, he may still not be able to play as he'd like to. Once damaged, the ligaments are more prone to injury, too.

Right now, he could very well be depressed because he isn't allowed to play. But I'd talk to the vet about adjusting the dose of pain meds--if that seems to improve his state of mind, it might be that, as the others suggest, he's still feeling pain from his injury.

Good luck! for a full recovery.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Depressed Dog

Thanx...will discuss pain management further with vet tomorrow.
I feel like I am between a rock and a hardplace with the decisions.
Even after surgury he may develop arthiritis as well as w/out surgury.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyB View Post
Even after surgury he may develop arthiritis as well as w/out surgury.
lucyB, my sister's golden (a very big guy) got the surgery years ago , yes it is expensive and the recovery is some what long but , this dog came back 100% and is now an healthy 13 yr old. Has no difficulty walking or getting up. He was on gluco/chondro supplement all is life after the surgery but most older bigger dogs should be anyway.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
-

Also , one of my goldens was on Deramaxx without too much good results , I switched him to Metacam and he's doing a lot better.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
-

Since your dog is still young and active I would opt for the surgery. If he can't be as active as he should be and wants to be then he will end up gaining weight which will complicate matters further.
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Depressed Dog

Have you or your vet considered therapy in the form of swimming? One of my dogs had a hip replacement and with this therapy she healed up in twice the normal time. Have not had a torn cruciate with any of my pets but perhaps its worth discussing with your vet as well as upping the pain meds. Wishing your dog a speedy recovery.
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Depressed Dog

If only we could get him to swim in the pool!!
Will try again when more time has passed to allow healing.
Thanx