Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

May Possibly Need to Feed Babies?

My brother just called me, asking about baby pigeons. He's security at a mall and noticed that matinence screened in all the areas that pigeons were hanging out. There is one nest in there, with babies, that have been screened in. The security team is going to move the nest over to were other nests are (not in the building, but close by). They have been without parents for 2 days now. He's worried about them in case they are not reclaimed by their parents. So, if he doesn't see them being fed by closing, he may bring them over here.

He has called the SPCA and the Wildlife park, who both told him to leave them be, they are just pigeons, no big deal sorta thing. Now, I don't agree with that, and am willing to hand feed them. He says they have a few feathers and are hoping around (and screaming for food, they are very very hungry!).

Now I've hand fed other birds before, all very young without feathers (not one lived, unfortunately). These guys are a bit bigger and stronger. I've been reading online about ways and what to feed, I have all that already. I just wanted to see if anyone here has some ideas of how to care for them? Our area is no very pigeon friendly - lots of people shoot at them and poison them I would worry about releasing them if they think people are good guys

Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Skylar's Farm

I've raised abandonned baby pigeons a few years ago.
When they are small, they do fine in a cat carrier with old towels on the bottom.
As they grow, pine shavings will do fine for bedding. The bird poo will stink.
I kept them in my spare bathroom, or shed, depending on the weather.
Check them for mites and lice....if needed powder them with a suitable bird product.

We fed them with a syringe with a long red flexible tube on the end which I carefully slid down their throat and into their crop. Someone should show you how this is done properly.
This way, they are not fed every 20-30 minutes like other birds, but only about 4 times a day.
The food has to be a certain temperature, and certain consistency, so that the crop will empty properly.
We had used Hagen powdered hand feeding formula for domestic birds.
I don't know if the protocol has changed these days.....but it is quite a bit of work.
We had a blast with our last pigeon, he would never leave. Sitting on the car, deck, etc.
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks Bina! I got the babies already. My brother thought they would die before he got off work, so I went up and picked them up. They are very active, loud and healthy looking. No mites or lice or anything. Already ate after I got them warmed up. I followed this tutorial for feeding them, they took to it right away and are now snuggling in their birdie cuddle cups (fleece!) next to their bean bag warmer (a soft fuzzy sock filled with split peas warmed in the microwave).

Lucky for me I work from home and don't have much of a life, lol, so I can feed them as often as they need The photo is of them right after they ate and are snoozing If anyone knows their rough age, I'd be eternally greatful (they still have yellow heads, but feathers coming in, bright open eyes, good grip with their feet, etc). I think these little ones will survive - they sure are fighters!
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

by the looks of them the are 10-12 days old, you'll notice a huge change daily now, good work feeding them
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thank you Melinda! They just ate again, they seem to like a more solid food as opposed to more liquidy. They are very sweet little boogers for sure! One is a bit larger than the other, but they both eat well, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for them!
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

A couple more pics. Both kidlets just ate 1 1/2 syringes of food, that equates to about 40-45 cc They are little pigs, crops full, and snoozing now on their fleece covered hot water bottle

Now I just need to think of names Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Skylar's Farm

OMG, babies....babies.......little guys are looking good. I would say maximum 14 days of age.
They look cozy and warm too. Keep checking that their crops empty properly and all should go well.
These birds really bond to their humans and it will be very hard to release them. hee hee.
Names: Gizmo and Gonzo ?
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh man, they already know me! I am surprised at how quickly they learn who feeds them, lol. When I walk by (they are in the kitchen, which is out of the AC wind), they give these little duckling sounds. The most amazing thing is while feeding them, they look right into your eyes. I used to work at the SPCA and often had bottle baby kittens - same deelio with the eyes

I am hoping they become very bonded and I will just have to keep them. As it is hubby took one look and asked me what the hell I was doing I told him the whole story and he was sympathetic, though he's hoping I will release them. I told him they take at least a month to learn to fly, then they have months of introducing to the wild...and I'm already on the hunt to find a large enough bird cage for them

At first I didn't think these guys would survive, thinking they were like typical baby birds. Thankfully these two are easy to feed, they just devoured their dinner! They are very eager feeders

Gizmo, I like that! Gonzo, not too fond of (he gave me nightmares as a kid, lol!). Gizmo is adorable
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Skylar's Farm

Gizmo and Gadget?
One of mine was named Junior....he used to knock on the patio doors.
It's too bad you live across the country I have lots of cages and pens.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Gadget is cute! Just finished feeding again, crop was empty and they were squacking, lol! Pics are of the smallest kidlet, she didn't want food as much as the other but she's quickly catching up! She ate a full syringe tonight (as did the other baby). Good and full, now sleeping comfortably And they are pooping, everywhere! Good poops too, not too runny and not hard. They seem happy
Attached Images