Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Question Constant crying in the car

Ok we just got our 4 yr old GSD, who was a rescue. He absolutely loves car rides, However after a few minutes in the vehical he starts to cry and he cries and he cries . But if he hears keys jingle and you open the door (house) he parks his butt at the tailgate of the van and won't move until you let him in, so he wants to go, but why the cry?

1 thing I thought of was all the travelling he did while being rescued, maybe he thinks we're going to drop him off somewhere or take him to another home. ( but that's not gonna happen)

So now, how can I break this whining and crying thing? Our last GSD () did the exact same thing and it would drive us nuts on long drives.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

MajorMom - this dog has gone through many transitions in such a short time.

Lost and brought to a pound from hell where he witnessed dogs being killed.
Transported by strangers...me and brought to a shelter.
Next day picked up again by strangers...(not me this time) and brought to the vets.
2 days later: Picked up again by the person that brought him to the vet and transported to a doggie spa facility.
Approximately 1 week later - picked up by no other than myself and transported to the SPCA where he was then moved into the rescue vehicle and transported from Montreal to you.

So alot of changing of hands and transporting for this guy. It will take time for him to be comfy and secure.

If he has a favourite toy or something - bring it with you. Something familiar should help ease his anxiety.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Majorsmom, Benmax is absolutely right about why he is behaving this way..Take him on short little drives, to the park, (teehee)timmies drivethrough for a plain timbit...Mcdonalds for and icecream...ladies it's not real icecream..these are just examples. take him somewhere close, end the drive with a pleasant experience.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Molly's mama

we go through the same thing with our dog and have had her for almost a year since rescue. I find that she's better if the radio (music) is turned off- have you tried that??
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Aslan has a good point - go for mini drives...oh yes and ice cream!
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome Majorsmom! god he is a beauty!

This may sound strange but we had a 2 door explorer when we got winston. He never would settle in the truck. We would drive all over and try things and it was horrible. We used to think we wouldnt be able to stand the 6 hours drive say to montreal with him. I actually got a tranquilizer of some sort from the vet for our first vacation trip skiing in Montreal. Well I never used it. I was too afraid. He wasnt very good for the first hour or so but eventually he settled down a bit.

This is the strange part! We traded that vehicle in not long after we got him and went to a 4 dr explorer. Funniset thing happened was that as long as he had a window spot and you could open it a crack he would be fine?? Close the windows and he is back to being anxious??

He is 9 now and is really wonderful in the car except that darm window has to be open or he is uptight. I think he doesnt like to be confined ??

Although I really think Major will be awesome in the car once he knows that he is not going anywhere and maybe once he associates some good things with a car ride? like maybe take him to the park and do fun things like fetch the ball. He may associate the good time with the car and settle. He may seem at home but it is still all new to him.

Hope this helps..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Smile

Thank you all for your advice. You have made some great and valid points.
Yes we have done the short rides, yes we have taken him to Timmies LOL, however we drive a mini van and the windows in the back don't open enough!
My friends kidnapped him from us last sunday, and they drive a huge pickup and Major jumped right in, they put down both windows in the back and he ran back and forth across the seat from window to window in his glory. But when they pulled into our driveway and Major saw we were no longer behind him (knowing he was home) they were affraid he was going to jump out the window
He seems to be fine in the car as long as
1. No ones gets out of the vehical i.e: to run into a variety store
or
2. You don't pull into a community of houses!
We live in a small town, and everywhere we go Major is right there with us, all our friends want him, so he is welcome everywhere we go, but they live in subdivision type areas and Major gets all anxious.

Well I will and and try taking him to the park to play ball and see if that'll help him. :sad: I don't like to see him anxious. However it's going to be a game of fetch because he just wants to eat the balls; we are on our 6th ball We even let him try street-hockey balls (the hard orange ones) and he chewed that to bits too! So we will see. Thanks everyone!
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Majors Mom have you tried a CUZ? OMG every dog I know has just loved these to bits and they tent to not destroy them like a tennis ball!

I have to say Winston gets anxious when we arrive home too! I think its just excitement though! mind you annoying. He also does that when we take him somewhere and we arrive?? I think he is just too darned excited then too! Good luck with your handsome boy!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM

I would have to say NO Winston, because I don't know what it is. I was thinking of getting him a kong. What is a CUZ?
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well the CUZ is a great toy made from the same material as a KONG so you have to check it out! I bought Winston the bad CUZ and he still has both ears and feet..Lots of doggies tend to bite the little wee ears off...

Maybe try the good cuz for Major cause he is such a good boy!

You cant get them a pretty much all the pets stores!

http://www.petacular.com/products/Cuz-Dog-Toys.html

We have had this one for over a year now. Winston used to take it everywhere he went whether it was to sleep eat play or poop!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Hey majorsmom!
So awesome of you to rescue this wonderful breed of dog, he is probably very thankful.
My 2 gsd are very vocal dogs and from what I know, many gsd share this trait. There is a large possibility you will just have to get use to it. I have no suggestions as to how to correct this behavior. It sounds like when one of you goes into a store he is showing a bit of anxiety, perhaps when someone goes in, they could bring him a goodie when they come back?

As for balls, yes gsd LOVE fetch....but many of them have very powerful jaws and unfortunately, destroy alot of toys in a couple chomps. My female is batty for tennis balls, they are easily her favorite toy in the world, however in a few chomps, she pops them! I found a great alternative toy for fetch is a large Wubba (made by kong, but nothing like a kong). If your dog has really strong jaws, like my boy....perhaps you should invest in some orbee toys. My boy can destroy ANYTHING (all those 'indestructables' last him but a few minutes) the only toy he has not been able to wreck is his strawberry and artichoke, made by orbee. They are wonderful toys and last for ages.....plus they are really cute and smell like mint!

I also found the chuckit flying squirrel to be a great success with both of my dogs.....they loved that thing. Too bad it was destroyed in less then a week.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Blackdog22 is correct that GSD's are vocal by nature however it this can be curbed. Having one of my own and several in rescue, I can tell you that this can be corrected. You do not have to endure the GSD whine and bark.

Anyways - give him time and he will settle. If he does not after a few more weeks then I will help with curbing this behaviour.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Hi there

We too have a whiner in the car.

She is a rescue and right now she is in obedience school. Not so much for the obedience training but for socialization with other dogs. On the way to the class she whines, on the way home she is so happy and content that she doesn't make a peep. DH takes her for a 4 kilo walk before they get in the vehicle to go to class.

Ben Max if you have some things I could try to help with the whining, I would really like to hear from you.

In regards to the cuz, if he is a chewer, he will chew the ears or feet off the cuz. My Stoney never did but Greta GSD rescue does. We even had to get her the black large kong, she takes months before she can destroy that. I am really lucky she does not chew my things.

Good luck, he sure is a beauty.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

PM'd you Sylvie - but it sounds absolutely ridiculous that I am embarassed to write it out loud.
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog22 View Post
Hey majorsmom!
So awesome of you to rescue this wonderful breed of dog, he is probably very thankful.
My 2 gsd are very vocal dogs and from what I know, many gsd share this trait. There is a large possibility you will just have to get use to it. I have no suggestions as to how to correct this behavior. It sounds like when one of you goes into a store he is showing a bit of anxiety, perhaps when someone goes in, they could bring him a goodie when they come back?

As for balls, yes gsd LOVE fetch....but many of them have very powerful jaws and unfortunately, destroy alot of toys in a couple chomps. My female is batty for tennis balls, they are easily her favorite toy in the world, however in a few chomps, she pops them! I found a great alternative toy for fetch is a large Wubba (made by kong, but nothing like a kong). If your dog has really strong jaws, like my boy....perhaps you should invest in some orbee toys. My boy can destroy ANYTHING (all those 'indestructables' last him but a few minutes) the only toy he has not been able to wreck is his strawberry and artichoke, made by orbee. They are wonderful toys and last for ages.....plus they are really cute and smell like mint!

I also found the chuckit flying squirrel to be a great success with both of my dogs.....they loved that thing. Too bad it was destroyed in less then a week.
Well major could use a mint toy LOL his breath always smells like a can of cat food despite the dental bones and stuff. Thank you for the advice
Cheers
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone on the replies and suggestions. I will definately get him some more durable toys. As for the "talking" he doesn't talk, DH has been trying to teach him to speak, but he has no interest. As for going into the store tho, I just thought with everyone back in the car he'd calm down but he doesn't and that's when the constant whine and cry actually starts. But bringing him out a treat "everytime" I don't think is right either as I don't do that with my kids, and believe it or not they'd get upset if Major got special attention But on occassion I'm going to try that, and like I said some more durable toys. Does anyone know if Kong makes a ball LOL Mighty-Jaws-Major would certainly get a workout with that! LOL
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM

We have a Kong ball called a Giggle ball. It's made of the harder Kong rubber, so it's a big heavier, but the sound it makes is a lot less annoying than a squeak. The sound is made by flipping the ball over, not by squeezing it, so it's a little more durable. It's still possible to chew it apart, but my dog is a power chewer, and he's more interested in playing with it than chewing.

As for the whining, is it really high pitched and quick, more like a yip than a whine? Our dog did something similar in the car, and we thought he was anxious because he would also get carsick. BUT, then we figured out that it wasn't anxiety, it was just his way of expressing how excited he was to go somewhere (usually the park). So, is it possible that it's just excitement, not anxiety?
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I think in his case right now it is anxiety. He is not yet settled as he was shuffled around alot (good shuffling but he did not understand it). I believe Major has been there now for 1 month and 1 week I think and though he is a good boy, he is alittle out of the ordinary in the 'rescue' sense of the word. He has literally seen alot and he is very needy at the moment.

Correct me if I am wrong MajorsMom.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Yep your right majorsmom, bringing him a cookie everytime you come back is an awful idea. I'm sorry I suggested it....brain fart.
Perhaps just try not to acknowledge him?
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Yep your right majorsmom, bringing him a cookie everytime you come back is an awful idea. I'm sorry I suggested it....brain fart.
NP, I don't mind spoiling him with attention, but Just got him to eat Kibble (he loved ppl food) and I don't want to spoil his diet is all. I've got him eating 2.5/3 c of kibble in the morning, and another 3c in the evening for supper. But my kids would say "Why does Major get something every time you go to the store and we don't?"
So we shall find another way to ease him in the car. All ideas are appreciated.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We are all entitled to those little gassy interuptions...even if it's at the top.

Good idea about not acknowledging...if this does not work then there are other ideas.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
We are all entitled to those little gassy interuptions...even if it's at the top.

Good idea about not acknowledging...if this does not work then there are other ideas.
We'll give it another week, I'll try taking his favorite toy in the car, and take him to the park to play ball instead of the yard, and occassionally when I go into the store I will take a treat with me to give him when we return to the vehical, if this doesn't help I'll be calling on you BenMax for additional help.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:40 PM
NOT a senior member

Majorsmom I feel your pain. One of my Minpins is a whiner in the car (actually, truck..) and like yours she is VERY excited and HAPPY to go anywhere in the truck so I know that her whining is not because she is upset to be there. Someone nailed it on the head when they mentioned that they think it is just excitement, I think this is the case for my dog as well. Minpins are notoriously vocal, and she is the worst (by far) of my bunch.

It's sad for her though, because when I pick a dog to go along with me on outings I tend to not take her because she is so darn annoying when I am driving. Trying to shush a whining dog in the car is no fun and stressful no matter the cause. I am at a loss at what to do too, I seriously doubt there is anything I can do but live with this quirk. Actually, she has lots of quirks...most having to do with her being so darn vocal.

BTW...I also have a Cuz, ears chewed off and all!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Well just an update, he is doing a little better, the favorite toy in the car did not work btw.... so I tried ignoring him, this works!!! However he has gotten use to where he lives by turns we make.... and the whining starts because he knows he close to home I guess. I thought about his behaviour and our last GSD use to do the exact same thing when we'd pick her up from the groomers, she would whine and cry the hole way home, not a moments peace, then as soon as we got here she would jump out of the truck and strut her stuff! So maybe it is just the excitement that they are coming home! That they ain't going to be abandoned

Thanks everyone!