Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Tulip has a dentistry today

I am assisting with Tulip's dentisty this afternoon. She has a cracked premolar that has to be removed as the pulp is exposed. Other than that her teeth are in really good shape, but it has to be dealt with or it will get infected. I am a nervous wreck about putting her under. Although I know that she will be fine, she has no health problems and the vets and techs in the clinic I am taking her to are very compitent, there is always that nagging worry.

Wish us luck!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Best of luck. Good vibes your way.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Doggie Wench

You're going to assist . Wow, I'm impressed...I'd be blubbering in a corner having an anxiety attack .

Wishing you both luck .
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm with LP!

Hope all went well with Tulip today!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

All must be said and done by now I hope!! and you and Tulip are both home and on now.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Tulip is doing well now, she is up an around this morning, though she is a bit groggy and swollen.

The procedure took a long time as it was a difficult extraction, partly beacuse it was her maxillary premolar which has three roots, and partly because one of the roots cracked off and was really difficult to find. After that I gave her a brief cleaning and woke her up. She didnt wake up very well, even though she had both a pre op pain med and a post op pain med. She was screaming so the vet gave her a half dose of sedative which really knocked her out!

I survived ok, though I was a bit obsessive about monitoring her heart and breathing! Plus there was a lot of blood everywhere.

She has pain meds and antibiotics for the next few days, so hopefully that will keep her comfortable while she recovers!
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That sounds traumatic Glad she made it through okay and I hope she recovers quickly!

Do you think she was screaming from pain or vocal from the after effects of anesthesia? Ours always get very whiney and talkative as they're coming out of the drugs. They don't usually escalate to a scream, though. That must have been stressful! You're much braver than hazel.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM

aw, poor thing.
I remember when Timber had his root canals done last month, the vet dentist warned us that huskies tend to be very "vocal" when waking up, so not to be alarmed.
Luckily it wasn't too bad, although heart wrenching none the less.

Glad to hear that she's doing better now. Lots of snuggles will help I"m sure

Is she limited with her food and toys right now? Or is she pretty much "good to go"?
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

How is she doing tonight, TulipRoxy?

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:06 PM

She's doing well tonight, she seems pretty much back to her normal self. Here face is still a bit swollen, but I'm sure it'll go down with time. I'm gonna keep her on soft cooked food for about a week ( she eats raw), partially for healing purposes and partially because she's on antibiotics, as I wouldnt want her to pick up anything from eating raw meat just because her natural good bacteria are supressed.

I was surprised the way she woke up. It was probably just an after effect of the medication, but it was a bit traumatic, and also she was lifting her head up and letting it fall which probably hurt! Thats why the vet gave her a low dose of sedative...the problem then was that she was so out of it I had to wait 1 hour until she had basic reflexes and could go home.

At least its over now! I hope its a long time before I have to put anyone else under!
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipRoxy View Post
At least its over now! I hope its a long time before I have to put anyone else under!
I'll second that! Glad to hear she's doing so well!