Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Are vaccine titres "worth it"?

Sable's 3 year rabies shot expires the beginning of 2008. She had such a severe reaction to her vaccines in 2005 I am choosing not to vaccinate again. My vet said he doesn't do titres, because they are not 100% accurate and so "are not worth your money". (Perhaps I should point out to him that vaccines aren't "100% guaranteed" either?) Now the good thing about getting a titre that proved immunity is that I would be able to continue to get Sable licensed using the titre proof instead of a rabies certificate. But if titres are super expensive and "not worth it" as my vet says, I just won't license her again (bad me!). If I decide to get them done, I will have to find a different vet to do it. (I don't have a problem with this, I have access to a vet through my work.) What say you?
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Totally off topic. Just wanted to say what a gorgeous dog you have. I have always had an infinity toward collies. Just never had the pleasure of owning a purebred. I did have a shepard/collie mix who was the sweetest thing going though.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Totally off topic. Just wanted to say what a gorgeous dog you have. I have always had an infinity toward collies. Just never had the pleasure of owning a purebred. I did have a shepard/collie mix who was the sweetest thing going though.
Thanks, she is a rescue.
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
-

A friend of mine had a 'titre' done on her dog, and apparently she has enough vaccine in her body to last 4 years. I guess it is one Vet's opinion against another. If it were my dog who had a violent reaction, there is no way I would proceed with another one, some animals have been known to die from reactions. I would not even bother with a 'titre' if she had a reaction like you say.
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

You can check out what Dr. Lee has to say about titers in this podcast: http://pets.ca/blog/?p=44

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
You can check out what Dr. Lee has to say about titers in this podcast: http://pets.ca/blog/?p=44
I should have known there would be info somewhere on this site!
Off to listen now!
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM

My beloved cat just died from a reaction to the rabies vaccine

Hi, I just wanted to share with you that my baby just passed away from an anaphilactic shock she had from the rabbies vaccine.
There is a risk of death, so anything you can do to prevent it is worth it.
There are also vaccines that have no adjuvens on them, these are non active ingredients that in fact are what cause the allergic reaction.
Also, if you decide to go ahead and give her the shot make sure she is very healthy on the day of the vaccination.

I apologize if I scared you with all this info, but I did not know any of this beforehand, and was not given any option. Now my baby is gone, so I am just trying to inform people and prevent this from happening to other pets and families.

this is a good information website:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.co...c2.htm#hearing
http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/fdasuspect.html

Best wishes
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petslover View Post
Hi, I just wanted to share with you that my baby just passed away from an anaphilactic shock she had from the rabbies vaccine.
There is a risk of death, so anything you can do to prevent it is worth it.
There are also vaccines that have no adjuvens on them, these are non active ingredients that in fact are what cause the allergic reaction.
Also, if you decide to go ahead and give her the shot make sure she is very healthy on the day of the vaccination.

I apologize if I scared you with all this info, but I did not know any of this beforehand, and was not given any option. Now my baby is gone, so I am just trying to inform people and prevent this from happening to other pets and families.

this is a good information website:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.co...c2.htm#hearing
http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/fdasuspect.html

Best wishes
I am so sorry you lost your pet. I am not ever vaccinating again, I am afraid if she has another reaction, it could be worse. Thank you for posting the info, hopefully people will read it and think abut vaccine risks. I had never heard anything about the risks until my dog had the reaction.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've been very lucky and none of my cats or dogs have ever showed a reaction to their rabies vaccines.
I've always been of 2 minds when it comes to vaccinating for people and for animals and have decided it's better to be vaccinated than not. Like I said just my opinion.
Saw on the news this morning that 2 rabid fox were found in Nova Scotia. It's such a horrible disease, it's not worth taking a chance to not have my pets vaccinated.
My uncle lost a dog to rabies, the dog was quarantined right after being attacked by the rabid animal and itself developed the disease. His was a farm dog and they only vaccinated if the county vet had been around, the dog never had it's shots.
Another cousin of mine had to go through a serious of shots after having been attacked by a rabid cat.
Too many fox, skunks, raccoons and coyotes here for me to take any chances.

Cindy