Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
-

WOOO HOOO for Duffy's great results. She has done so well under the care of you and your vet which must make you extremely happy.

Sorry to hear that your vet is retiring from his practice but it's good to know that he will be educating so many more. Hopefully you will be just as happy with the other vet once you get to know him/her.

I'm not surprised that Royal Canin/Medi-Cal won't agree to give you the toxicology report. So I would record the conversation with the vet when he/she calls.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM

I am so happy

I look forward to the research he will put out & our paths will cross again

I have no doubt the new vet will be wonderful, she is highly recommended

great idea to record, but how to do the whole conversation w/a cellphone? it only has a 1 min voice recorder on it which will record phone convos but only for 1 min

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
-

I'm not up on all the latest technology but I'm sure there must be a way. Maybe someone here knows if you ask in the Tech Talk forum or else google it.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow, that is great news, Growler Now we need more pics of Duffy to celebrate!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Growler,great news for you and Duffy and I agree,you'll have to get used to carry your camera around at all times and snap.snap,snap...beautiful Duffy
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

WoooooHoooooo!!! What wonderful results!

Even though your current vet is retiring, I have to believe that he'd still be available for consultations if your new vet runs into anything he/she needs advice on So it's kinda like still having him around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
great idea to record, but how to do the whole conversation w/a cellphone? it only has a 1 min voice recorder on it which will record phone convos but only for 1 min
If you have a speaker phone function on your cellphone, all you need is a digital recorder. When the call comes, turn on the recorder first, answer the call on speaker phone and go from there. It helps if you can lay the recorder on the table (if you hold both, you get a lot of static), and if you can rig a cradle to elevate the phone slightly above the recorder (or can stand the phone up on its end) you'll get a clearer recording. Test your setup with a friend, first. (I use this to record convos with govt officials all the time...nothing like a little proof when you need it... )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Albert's mommy

CONGRATS DUFFY!!!!

We are very proud of him!! and of course you Growler! I'm sure you must be so happy right now! Isn't it awesome when you see that you are truly kicking this disease right in the throat!!

AWESOME!! I am really happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes all the hard work, dedication, sweat and tears all worth it! I cry each time I get Al's results and the numbers are lower, I just cry tears of joy and I squeeze him tight and he just looks at me like 'um, mom your getting my fur wet, what is wrong with you?'

GREAT JOB!!!

sorry to hear your vet is moving on..I truly hope his colleagues are as great as he is! At least he's educating others..which is just sooo crucial with this disease. It is truly scary how misinformed so many people are...it's truly a tragedy! But when they see stories like yours..it can give other people who are just getting news of this disease a clear path to fighting back!!!

Last edited by lm9012; August 22nd, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM

Thanks all

You have no idea how happy hearing those results made me and my Baby Girl is definately feeling better these last 2 weeks as well.

I am so going to miss my vet :sad: I've only known him since Nov 07 but the guy is truly amazing there is such a "calm" about him. I know he will have great success in his research, teaching & educating others.

Thanks for the info Hazel - I'll test out a recorder on my computer

Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM

Thumbs up Great news, growler!

Hey growler! Take a bow! All your exquisite care with Duffy is paying off big-time ! I'm so glad the second round of blood tests showed a more predictable/acceptable level of creatinine - WOW !

I think sometimes false results can occur, and this may have been the case here, as all your other results had dropped slightly from five months previously.

It's great news that sub-q fluids aren't needed for her at this time. Check her a couple of times a week for potential dehydration, and you'll know if and when the sub-q will help her out.

In case of heatwave for CRF kitties, whether they get fluids or not - this is a Vet Tech tip - these kitties, in fact all kitties, get super heated - they don't pant, like dogs do, to cool off - so if the weather is really hot, and the cats are drooping, wipe them down with a cold wet washcloth several times a day. (Mine look at me like I've lost my mind when I do it, but they feel a lot better after...)

Re: a moist heating pad - you can get Thermophore - various sizes, not cheap however, at Shoppers Drug Mart Home Health stores. I have the largest one that is very long and can go down my whole back. NICE ! I hadn't considered using it with the Furries though, as it's heavy.

It sounds like, behaviourally speaking, Duffy is one very healthy kitty - with those blood levels dropping as you work on optimizing her health. How are her energy and mood doing ?

All the best to you and your precious grrrl from our house, 3KittyMomma and Sheena, Susie and Wally
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM

3KittyMomma - I had mentioned the possibility of a false value or a mix up w/numbers but the machines are very accurate. I think the rise in creatinine may have been caused by a few factors together & when re dosed w/her remedy it kicked the creatinine back down easier this time since all other factors were already dropping.

With the "heat wave" we had she was draped w/a cool wet towel much to her dislike Never really go to the point that I was panicing, she was still eating a little & has never stopped drinking enough (but not too much) water and thankfully she loves to sit infront of the fan.

Her aura energy is great all kidney points are purrfect, spinal points are good too. As for physical energy & mood both are wonderful, since the first rain she perked right back up to normal.

Duffy was re dosed w/her remedy this week & I have a re-check & blood work scheduled for another month.

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:04 AM

Since the last post here, Duffy has gone in for Gunn IMS (intramuscular stimulation) using acupuncture needles (a technique used to release chronic muscle tone and to restore fluid movement patterns) with a wonderful physical therapist. This is to release the blocked energy surrounding her kidneys, & stomach/bowels areas. Another session for early Oct.

Sunday was a vet recheck w/the "new" vet & homeopath, everything physically & energy-wise looks good, no dehydration, kidneys were palpated & are slightly irregular as expected. We rechecked the bio chemistry not the full blood work and another urinalysis.

Both the vet & homeopath were amazed at how healthy & active she is for a 17yr old CRF kitty and that she still plays They were also impressed by her self-confidence, @ one point the dr went into the back to get something when he came back he didn't fully close the door, we were talking Duffy's roaming around on the floor checking everything out & notices the door open. She saunters out & around the corner into the behind the front desk area there were also 3 large dogs (staff pets) hanging out behind the front desk not sure if they noticed her or not (all are good with cats) & the homeopath got up & brought her back in the room, commenting on her curiosity & confidence.

So her Creatinine has dropped a tiny bit again @ 217 (last month 218), her BUN has gone up a bit :sad: @ 21.5 (last month 18.2) Calcium still in normal down a wee bit from last month, Phosphorus up a little but still well within normal. Her USG has also dropped :sad: to 1.022 (last month 1.027) when normal it should be concentrating at above 1.035.

I've upped her butternut squash from 1/4tsp twice a day to 1/2tsp twice a day to help w/the slightly dry poops.

We've added Nu Cat vitamins and Liquid DMG (immune response booster to help clear the possible vaccine related seasonal itchies and help the kidneys) supplements to her regiment of whole food additives

Another recheck w/geri panel & UA next month after the next physio appt.

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; September 24th, 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: change link
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM

And to add to the sauntering around big dogs story from above, I weighed her on the dog scale when I got there & she was fine with/ignored the large dog noses under the gate to behind the front desk.

When we came out from our appointment she was more than ready to leave, the cystocentesis didn't improve her mood (small bladder didn't help with the pee removal especially since she didn't want to release her pee for the needle ) made her a wee bit crabby.

There was an adorable little kitten (staff pet) playing with the leash of a small dog (client pet), Duffy's crated & she hissed at the little dog when it came too close then later she hissed & growled at the kitten when he came to say hi

She does not like small dogs she's great with large dogs (I've only had large dogs) and I know she doesn't like other cats, well apparently that sentiment extends to tiny kittens too

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
-

LOL....at 17 years old Duffy is allowed to be crabby whenever and where ever she wants to.

Glad to hear her vet check went well.
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
-

Growler, I just wanted to say what an excellent thread this is. It is full of awesome information and thank you for keeping it updated.
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Thanks Rainbow

Old September 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear that Duffy is doing very well, you are doing a great job, growler . At 17 years old, Duffy can be as cranky as she wants to little whipper, snippers.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Growler,although I do not quiet understand the lab-report,it looks like Duffy is doing ok
I think she has the spirit of her mom,won't let anything change her tortitude.
She must be so used to going to the vet,it does not bother her at all
At 17,she is an amazing girl
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree! Beautiful feisty kitty and an excellent thread!

You're doing a great job with her, growler.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Albert's mommy

I am thrilled to get this update on Duffy!! Awesome news! I am glad Duffy is doing so well!

I am currently working with a woman across the country with her CRF dog, I am still shocked at how little info is available from these vets. She, like you and I once were Growler, is terrified, shocked, confused, frustrated and lost. I hope I can help in leading her in the right direction. I also sent her a link to this post, as well as got her on the yahoo kidney boards. She is memorizing dogaware.com too!!

Her vet isn't thrilled about the home cooking, but at least he is willing to try it out. Luckily they caught the disease very early, and her dog didn't spend more than a week on vet rx food. She immediately put her dog on a home made recipe that I provided for her.

Thank you for keeping this thread going. CRF is sadly misunderstood and the more people out there get the facts, the better off their beloved babies will be!!
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
She must be so used to going to the vet,it does not bother her at all
She is far more relaxed at this homeopathic clinic that she ever was at traditional vets office, to the point of roaming around the room investigating her surroundings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm9012 View Post
I am thrilled to get this update on Duffy!! Awesome news! I am glad Duffy is doing so well!

I am currently working with a woman across the country with her CRF dog, I am still shocked at how little info is available from these vets. She, like you and I once were Growler, is terrified, shocked, confused, frustrated and lost. I hope I can help in leading her in the right direction. I also sent her a link to this post, as well as got her on the yahoo kidney boards. She is memorizing dogaware.com too!!

Her vet isn't thrilled about the home cooking, but at least he is willing to try it out. Luckily they caught the disease very early, and her dog didn't spend more than a week on vet rx food. She immediately put her dog on a home made recipe that I provided for her.

Thank you for keeping this thread going. CRF is sadly misunderstood and the more people out there get the facts, the better off their beloved babies will be!!
I'm glad to hear you're helping this lady & she is receptive to it . Anything I can do, let me know.

I agree more needs to change in the way vets treat CRF as well as other conditons, things can be done to improve the health of animals with compromised kidneys while they are still feeling okay instead of waiting until it's too late.

Old October 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Duffy had her 2nd physio appt using GUNN IMS 2 weeks ago. She was far less reactive than the first time which is great, shows it is working & the energy & muscles are relaxing working with the body to help heal itself. Next appt is in a month.

Duffy had another appointment at the vets today. We didn't do any blood or urine work this time, we'll do it next month. She's doing good, her water hydration level is still good, no "tenting" .

However since she's been drinking more water to compensate the loss of fluids in her urine - not as concentrated as it should be so she pees more volume wise, Dr wants to start her on sub q fluids help support the kidneys. We did one session today, & I have the supplies to do it at home for the next 4 weeks until we see the Dr again - at that time we'll do blood & urine work to see where it's all at. I'll be doing fluids twice a week at home.

Old October 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Most of that sounds pretty good... How are you with the subQs, though--are they hard to do?

Glad to hear that she was less reactive during the physio appt!! You're such a good mommy to your Duffy. And she's such a good gurl!

Old October 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
How are you with the subQs, though--are they hard to do?
I haven't actually done any of it yet, it seems fairly easy though. Guess I'll find out how Duffy likes ME being the one to stick her later this week. I was shown how to prep the fluid, how to prep Duffy & how to do it. I'm not squeamish about needles but then I've never stuck anyone w/one either.

The homeopath was there to watch how it's done along with me, the Dr came in the back to see how she reacted - they were amazed she didn't even flinch when the needle when in & it's a fair sized one too, bigger than vaccine needles & bigger than the IMS needles and she didn't struggle or try to get away either. I mentioned to them she does great w/the IMS too barely flinches there unless he gets a touchy spot.

Old October 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

My lil sis had to give both her cats subQs. One of them absolutely squirmed and carried on and hated it. The other would run over for them when it was time. I guess it all depends on how much they value the one-on-one-with-mom attention.

Obviously, Duffy loves her time with Mom so she'll be one of those to run on over.

Old October 26th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Well she's always been way better behaved in clinic than at home she's gotten much better the last few years though at letting me do things like cut her nails, pilling her, looking at her teeth without putting up too much of a fuss so she'll be good

Old October 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Duffy had her first at home sub q fluid injection today. The lady at the vets went over the whole procedure with me on Sun, even typed out instructions for me. She got my drip line all attached & set up for me. This is a great site for how to (also posted earlier in the thread), the only difference between these instructions & what the vets suggest is my vets like to leave the old needle on after the injection, then replace with a new one when ready for the next time - this keeps the new needle in the sterile packaging longer lessening the chance of contamination *you must of course remember to replace with a new needle for the next injection*. There must be a needle on the end of the drip set at all times to ensure the end of the line is sterile.

Warmed up the fluids prior to inj, most cats prefer it to be as close to their body temp as possible, no fun having cold liquid injected under the skin - use the wrist temp like w/baby bottles to make sure it is not too warm.

Hung the fluid bag off the curtain rod in the bedroom where there is corner windows to amuse Duffy while she waits for the proper amount of fluid to run. After we were done she got a lamb liver treat & she was happy as could be.

Duffy behaved herself really well, she was great with the poke, she just squirmed a bit when I held her still till I got the line open then she was mostly content to stay where I wanted her.

Being that Duffy is also getting GUNN IMS needle therapy she is virtually non reactive to the needle itself going in. The Vet & staff all commented on this on Sun as well, they were surprised that she didn't even flinch that time.

As used by many kidney cat people I will be looking to get the Terumo Ultra Thin Wall 20 gauge needles instead of the 18 gauge ones from the vets. The 18g are used most often by vets cuz they are a bigger size therefore the fluid flows faster & less time is needed to contain the cat for the time it takes. The Terumo UTW 20g are a smaller sized needle but because the walls are so thin they flow almost as fast as the 18g, the Terumo also have a super sharp & beveled edge to make the sticking must smoother & easier on the skin. Cats have fairly thin skin anyways but easier & less noticable poking is definately better for daily, weekly or in our case bi-weekly injections.

One must also remember used needles no matter who they're used for are considered hazardous material waste & one needs a secure sharps container to be taken to the vets for proper disposal. Glass or very hard plastic container is best, you do replace the needle cap after use but it's still better not to use anything that can be punctured.

Old October 30th, 2008, 03:22 AM
-

Awww....glad Duffy was such a good girl for mom.
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Growler,Duffy must be a wonderful little girl and I cannot say enough good things about you as her mom.
I cannot imagine any of my cats behaving as well as Duffy were they in the same situation,but you never know until you are faced with it.
to you and little Duffy.
My boys thinks she is a very brave and good girl
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
-

for Duffy being so good in letting you administer the sub Q's Growler, amazing what she will do for a treat
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She's such a good girl! And, of course, her Mom has that healing touch!

How long does it take for the proper amount of fluid to be injected?

Tags
crf, crf cats, homeopathy, kidney failure, raw diet, subq fluids