Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 30th, 2004, 04:50 PM

2 females together or not or best one of each? DOGS

I am really curious about what most people feel about having two female spayed dogs together, or is it really true that you should only have one of each?? I hear people say that 2 of the same sex should not be together male or female but what confuses me is why? Why would they fight? What about age differences? At present I have a 9yrs spayed female boxer and was thinking of adopting a 3 year old female spayed boxer?? Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated so that I can make my final decision before going ahead and do this.
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have 2 male GSD's.I have never had a problem with them...They are both 8 years old...But having 2 females together is really not a good idea.2 females fighting are far worse then 2 males.They fight for dominance.

We had a person on here that had a spayed St.Bernard.She adopted a female spayed St.Bernard.A bit younger then her first one.Well the older one was showing alot of dominence.Sort of like "I rule the roost"...But then again I have heard people who have 2 females and they were fine.They did have a few "dissagreements"...And if I recall,we also had someone come on here with 3 Boxers and the 2 females where going at each other....I'd rather be safe then sorry.I would go for a male...But that's just my opinion...
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM

My mother had 2 female dogs for years... first was the pup of our boxer, then we had 3 for a while with my Rotti there for about 8months before I moved out... then when old Mya died my mom got another female... they would occationally have power struggles, but nothing I would consider a fight - just some growling and hackles up - it never went beyond that.

You should be fine.
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I think it really depends on the nature of the dog. In my experience, females tend to be more dominant but that is not always so. If your dog is on the dominant side, you might want to first watch how your dog interacts with both females and males to get a sense of how she responds to each and then make a decision from there. If your dog is easy-going and gets along with most other dogs then I wouldn't worry. If you do end up with a dominant female as your second dog, then she will probably just take charge and your other dog will just accept her new place in the pack.
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Females, spayed or not will almost always try to assume the alpha role. This happens in other specie orders as well.
Sometimes females raised around each other from an early age can be harmonious..a few scrap's around social maturity age but they can "flatten out" so to speak.
The best combination is female/male. Male/male is a second option...but there can be discussions here too.
Years ago, when I worked for the county, I was amazed at how all the dogs and cats got along. All were seperated by sex & species in large runs and cages. No fights at all...maybe they were scared, maybe grateful for a meal and a roof over their heads, maybe both. I don't know.

In a perfect world all would be happy.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

There is great variation among breeds and individual dogs of course, but generally speaking, two spayed bitches can get into the worst fights imaginable.

It seems the best chance of harmony is with a dominant female and a submissive male.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM

Re:two females dogs fighting

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback! I think I'm going with a male to be on the safe side. One of my friends who visited me mention that since our female was with a male to begin with, and that maybe after reading all your feedbacks regarding to females fighting that I should stick with a male. If I adopt a female and it didnt work out it would really hurt me so I want to play it safe than sorry. I really appreciated the feedbacks!!
Linn
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:11 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I hope it works out for you!

Always remember to take yor dog with you before you make a final decision. You want to ensure they get along, regardless of gender.
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:26 PM

My experence with 2 female boxers

I had 2 female boxers who got along great for about 1 1/2 years then the older one 2 1/2 started fighting with the younger one who was 1 1/2. It got to the point that one day in my living room it was an all out huge dog fight. The younger boxer ended up real hurt I ended up hurt trying to break them up and my children became afraid of all dogs for awhile. I ended up having to give my older female away cause she started picking on our other female puppy too. Now I have never had any problems yet with my other 2 females all are spayed but it something I am worried about. When I gave my older female to boxer rescue they said they would never place 2 female boxers in the same home because it is common for spayed boxer females to fight. .
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWNNOELL
When I gave my older female to boxer rescue they said they would never place 2 female boxers in the same home because it is common for spayed boxer females to fight. .
Hummm interesting... Our Boxer and BoxerXDob never fought... Maybe it is different with a mom and pup... or maybe the Dob mellowed Foxy out. There was a point when Foxy (the younger) took over as boss when Mya (the boxer) was about 12 or so, but there was never any fighting over it.

Actually I always found it very interesting that my dog, Rose (Rotti - yes we love scary looking big dogs.. ) always considered Foxy the boss... even when Foxy was 13 yr old with cancer and one unusable leg... Rose never tried to be boss and would actually pull my moms other dog (american bull dog) off Foxy if the bull dog got playing too rough (she was a pup). it was like Rose was Foxy's protector... yet Foxy was always baring teeth at Rose... so Rose would roll over (even as a 6yr old dog).

I'm always fasinated by how they all interact... it's always so neat.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM

Yup, it's interesting how they respect dominance regardless of age. My friend has a 16 year old Lab who is about as dainty as they get and getting a bit frail. She's also a bit of a grump too. She lives with a big male shepherd/husky cross, and a black lab/great dane cross that is absolutely huge and pretty boisterous. However, if the older dog sits in a doorway or in a hallway sometimes she just decides that no dog will pass her and not one of them will challenge her. They come up for a sniff, she tells them to beat it and they quickly retreat to watch her from afar until she moves or they decide to try again. It's pretty funny to watch. One day she had 5 massive dogs on the back deck and wouldn't let any of them into the house. She just sat there in the doorway, while they sat in a line watching her. She looked like an old maffioso holding court.