Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Flying with Kitty- Air Canada vs. Westjet

Hi There!

First-time pet flier! I'm planning on bringing my kitty with me to Winnipeg (from Halifax) for Christmas this year, and I was curious as to experiences people have had flying with their pets (cats or dogs) in-cabin with either Westjet or Air Canada.

He's a medium-sized cat, on the larger size of average. I'm not worried about weight restrictions since he's probably only about 13-14lbs, but he's tall, about 11-12inches at the shoulder. I was opting for Air Canada because at 10.5inches they have a greater height allowance for soft-sided carriers and I could probably get away with a medium-sized one (this Sherpa http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...nate2_t400.jpg carrier was the one I had my eye on). I've heard that Westjet is more pet-friendly, but only allows for 8.5inches under the seat. Considering he needs to be able to stand up and turn around, this seems to me like it would be cramped for him.

I'll fly either airline, whichever would be best for him.

Any info about air-travel and pets would be appreciated! It's still early but I'd like to book for Xmas by the end of the month
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Check with both airlines for dates they place ''no fly'' embargos on flying with pets. I'm not sure whether this applies to cabin flying pets, but it sure does to cargo flying pets.