Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:03 AM

Unhappy sluggish kitten

For the past 3 days my cat has been acting very sluggish! She is about 9 weeks! One of my friends brought over another kitten they found and naturally my cat played with it. After that, we noticed some fleas on her so we went and bought her a flea collar! Ever since then she has been acting really weird!!! All she does is sleep!!! She barely eats and barely drinks, we have to bring it to her! Her body is really hot and her nose is completely dry! She is really sensitive because everytime you touch her she wines, and when she walks it seems as if all her legs hurt becase she is all wobbly!! I don't have money to take her to the vet so I have been giving her water through a bottle and occasionally wiping her with a damp paper towel to cool her down!! I just need to know if its serious and I should find money to go to the vet, or just keep continue what I am doing??
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:27 AM

first of all, did you take the collar off? if not, take it off right away. the collar may be poisoning your kitten.

if your kitten doesn't go to a vet, it may die. is there any way that you can get the money to see a vet? how about calling a vet in advance and explaining your situation -- hopefully they will take pity on you and reduce the rate, or let you pay in installments.

do you live with family, or are you on your own? maybe there is someone who can lend you the money. please don't let your kitten die.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:51 AM
banned user

Fleas Cause Intestinol parasites

If the kitten has fleas it can cause Feline Infectious anemia..essentially blood poisoning..anemia is when a cat has lost too much blood due to constant flea bites.

Get the kitten to a vet asap....
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with both of you and don't EVER put a fleacollar on a kitten(or any cat for that matter)...this little one will have to see a vet,fleas can do a lot of harm to a defense-less little kitten.Please find the money somehow,or he might die!!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
banned user

Any flea collar I've seen said not to use it unless the kitten was 12 weeks or older.
Please take her to the vet, there's no telling what the collar may have done to her!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Never use a flea collar on a kitten. Definitley get her to the vet better safe than sorry. I only use the natural ones that are made with eucalyptus and I always take it out of the package and leave it for a couple of days before putting it on.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Vet for sure!!! And they may suggest Revolution, which is what I had to give the rescue kittens I have now, it takes care of the fleas, the worms and the mites that could be causing your kitten to be sick. Talk to the vet...maybe they could take a look at the kitten without charging their rate and just charge you for the Revolution which runs about $13. per dose or any other meds that it may require. Revolution is given once a month and if the kitten will be indoors, two doses should be all it needs.

Good luck to you and please don't give up, and don't hesitate to ask for help. There are organizations that will help pay for vet bills if you cannot afford it, or ask someone, a friend or family member for a loan to cover the vet cost. Call your local shelter to see if they can give you numbers to call for help and advice.